WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

26 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

I often wonder how the reporters who are moved to traffic feel about doing it, and whether they wouldn't rather be out in the field reporting.  Obviously in this case it's just temporary, but WCBS had both Jenna Deangelis and Natalie Duddridge on traffic before getting rid of the spot on their morning news.

Good question. While being out in the field and telling stories might be more fulfilling, it can also be exhausting having to constantly be on the move in whatever weather, looking for people to talk to, and writing a story in time to be edited for air in a few hours. Traffic reporting is essentially an anchor-type job in a comfortable studio, laughing around with the other anchors, being part of the "team," and getting lots of face time. Everyone has different preferences but I would imagine most on-air talent aspire to end up in the studio.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Geoffrey said:

Good question. While being out in the field and telling stories might be more fulfilling, it can also be exhausting having to constantly be on the move in whatever weather, looking for people to talk to, and writing a story in time to be edited for air in a few hours. Traffic reporting is essentially an anchor-type job in a comfortable studio, laughing around with the other anchors, being part of the "team," and getting lots of face time. Everyone has different preferences but I would imagine most on-air talent aspire to end up in the studio.

While I don't doubt that they aspire to end up in the studio, it would have to be as an anchor, not as the traffic person (which I don't see as an equivalent position). Rebecca certainly seemed to be enjoying filling in last week, but I'd be surprised if she would want to do it on a full-time basis. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:53 PM, MisterBill said:

Yes, that's too bad, I always liked her. I wouldn't be surprised if her leaving is why Kiran was hired.

She's been in the business 22 years. Well deserved career in the tri-state area.  Working at News 12 (The Bronx) and WPIX..

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.  As well as interactions outside the studios, including their families and who they interact with.  Unless there is a known infection cluster inside their building, it may be an overreaction.  Interestingly, WNBC is not doing what CBS, ABC and PIX are doing.  The reality with these new more contagious variants, is they will result in sporadic infections.  It does not mean everyone at their facility gets it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Again, I wonder if  on air social distancing makes sense because staff may be interacting in close quarters behind the scenes. 

they most likely are but, behind the scenes, they have the option to wear a mask or the the station has reinstated indoor masking following the city and state health departments both recommending indoor masking again.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...