WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

On 2/13/2022 at 5:36 PM, Spintech33 said:

Happy for Craig Treadway and Kirstin Cole.. Both being veterans of the Morning news. They get to have their own morning show. Hopefully, they can incorporate Kala and few other veterans into the Weekend morning show.  Who's doing weather?  Hopefully, it's Craig Allen.

Watching the inaugural weekend morning news right now. So far so good. Byron Miranda is doing the weather this morning.

29 minutes ago, abric said:

Watching the inaugural weekend morning news right now. So far so good. Byron Miranda is doing the weather this morning.

Yes, so far so good for them.. I'm interested with the subs when Kirstin and Craig are out.. My guesses are Shirley Chan, Kala Rama, and possibly Nicole Johnson.. (All have anchoring experience). I'd like to see Craig Allen do AM's but I believe he's still doing weekend AM's on 880. Interestingly, they got Joe Macueri on board to do Saturday morning sports...  Pretty conventional if you ask me.

14 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I read the description -it seems to mention News nation "based in our new New York studios" ; so it seems like this is where News Nation will be broadcasting from? I don't know if this will translate to PIX...

For now the translation means its at 42nd and 2nd- PIX studios...

Does Newsnation even have a NYC studio (Just asking for a friend)

Edited by Spintech33

20 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Yeah was interesting to see Byron doing weather... my guess is that they'll have the current weather team rotate for weekend AMs until they hire someone new. Another thought is to just have Chris do weekends and Byron do all weekdays like Mike Woods but I don't see them going that route. 

Spoke too soon.. Chris was on this morning 8-10. However, you are correct I see a Saturday rotation with Byron, and Sunday rotation with Chris for the time being.

From the NYC DOB, there is work being done on floors 1, 2 and 3. WPIX has enterance on floor 1 and a studio an old newsroom area on 2 (remember the old Tong/Cafferty news set?) Traffic is done from the old news room. WPIX original tv studio (magic garden, INN news) was done on the 10th. They are now pix offices and newsroom. Would make sense to expand to 3rd floor. Also when the Daily News Building was sold by Tribune, it was grandfathered in that Pix would always have a home at a special rate

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Newsjunker95 said:

It won't last long. It happened twice in 2009 and then in 2016 with Kaity and Brenda Blackmon only lasting 8 months. 

Agreed. It was especially a disappointment that the second version didn't last, and Tong & Blackmon weren't moved over to the other weekday timeslots (and Tamsen Fadal was).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PIX definitely needs to expand their team beyond Tamsen and Kori if they want to expand. Personally not a fan of the new 4pm anchor either. I could see Shirley Chan given a permanent anchor role soon given she fills in a lot. Either way don't see it lasting long as others mentioned

• Like 3

On my Optimum guide, it shows as a separate entity from 6:30 - 7:00, as PIX11 Evening News (stated above).

WPIX has been using the 6:30 half hour lately for sports betting specials, baseball specials, and other programming than the syndicated programs that normally air. 

With baseball season approaching, I imagine they may use it as a "pregame" time slot, or another lead in to baseball.

20 hours ago, dabx said:

News expanding at night - 6:30 - 7:00

Again?!  I expect it to fail yet again, unless they want to expand the 6pm.  And I agree, they need more anchors than just Tamsen and Kori.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PIXfan said:

Again?!  I expect it to fail yet again, unless they want to expand the 6pm.  And I agree, they need more anchors than just Tamsen and Kori.  

They could bring out Shirley Chan, or another anchor maybe Arrianee LeBleu. To anchor see how that works, Nexstar is gonna give up on this station, it’s gonna be a mini KTLA.

• Like 1

I really wish Kaity and Brenda were given weekday slots, they could've anchored the 6PM news daily (if Pix had a 6PM newscast back then). Tamson & Korey are just there... PIx needs more faces in the evenings to mix things up.

SUGGESTION:

A team: 4 , 6 & 6:30pm

B team: 5 & 10pm

Edited by iron_lion

I agree that dropping Kaity and Brenda from weekdays in 2016 was the first mistake; PIX needs a harder presence in the evenings. Hazel Sanchez I feel would actually bring that (in addition to Shirley) but I doubt they'd make that change given she just started on mornings. Second mistake was dropping Betty Nguyen but we still don't know the full story on that. Best news is the addition of weekends with Kirsten and Craig; so I hope they keep that! Also I agree with the time suggestions proposed; another thought is simulcasting newsnation on PIX at 6:30 to promote it as an alternative to the networks (I don't know if that would be allowed). It would also be interesting to see if they use their feed for breaking national news similar to FOX5 simulcasting Fox news channel at times.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dabx said:

Andrew Marchan of the NY Post, WPIX will not televise the 21 Amazon games

To interpret:  Amazon's Friday night MLB games including the Yankees are exclusive to Amazon.  They will not be broadcast on YES or any over the air broadcaster.  Same goes for all other teams.  That was the deal Amazon made with MLB - its called exclusivity.  I believe the same will be true of the NFL Thursday night suite of games.  Exclusive to Amazon.  By not having a local broadcaster simulcast these games, they are attempting to drive people to Amazon Prime.  Smart move but it can alienate fans.  Same is probably true to the Apple TV+ exclusive games.  Evidently some games will also move to. Peacock in a yet to be announced contract.

Edited by NowBergen

On 3/30/2022 at 4:36 AM, IceManNYR said:

Reporter Rebecca Solomon subbing for traffic reporter Alex Lee, who is on vacation.

I often wonder how the reporters who are moved to traffic feel about doing it, and whether they wouldn't rather be out in the field reporting.  Obviously in this case it's just temporary, but WCBS had both Jenna Deangelis and Natalie Duddridge on traffic before getting rid of the spot on their morning news.

• Like 1