WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

5 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I think this pretty much answers that now- Alex Lee will be the new traffic anchor. My guess is she starts Monday with Chris and Vanessa.

https://pix11.com/author/alex-lee/

Here is the official announcement from the news director which NewsBlues published on the 11th (in addition to Chris Cimino and the new anchor):  Alex Lee will also be joining our morning team giving the viewers their morning traffic reports.  Alex has been in the market for 10 plus years behind and on camera.  For the past 7 years Alex has been connected with total traffic giving her a complete understanding of the market and the commuters needs.   

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, NowBergen said:

I believe they just hired a new anchor/reporter.  From the WPIX news director courtesy of Newsblues:  "

Arrianee LeBeau is also joining us as and Anchor/Reporter.  Arrianee joins us from her most recent anchoring job in Arizona.  Local and community news stories are what drive Arrianee and helping people connect is what she is passionate about.    She is very excited to join our team and I know is looking forward to  getting to know you all and the city we represent."  Perhaps she will be on the 4 pm news.

FYI; her anchoring the 4pm is now confirmed

• 3 weeks later...

New blog entry by Chris Cimino explaining how he got the job at PIX11 and what he's gone through since leaving WNBC

Weathering the Changes in Life - What’s Next Chris? (chrisciminoweather.com)

Also mentions that he and Marysol will be co-hosts of a lifestyle show in the 10-11am hour. I guess that means that the news anchors won't have to work a five-hour shift anymore. And hopefully it means that Ben Aaron will be gone, since he is best taken in very small doses IMHO,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Glad to see that Chris is having a renaissance of sorts at 'PIX.

On an unrelated note, I'm intrigued at why some of the non-network morning shows switch to their A teams at 6am. WPIX and WGN do this, specifically. I live in Los Angeles and KTLA has their B morning team from 4-7am, and the A morning team from 7-11am. In terms of fairness, it seems like at least a 3hr block for each team would be fair. Is this negotiatied contractually or just preference by station management?

KTLA has a rather unique situation where their 4-7 AM “B-team” is just as popular, if not slightly more, than their A-team. Chris, Megan and Henry could easily be slotted into the 7-11 block and not miss a beat which is saying something because Frank, Jess and Mark are equally incredible. Meanwhile I can’t even name the early block teams at WGN or PIX…

The WGN B-team has only truly solidified itself in the last 5 years, with Larry, Robin, and company still appearing in the 5 o'clock hour within the last decade, until the 9am hour launched (2013?). The early team has seen 5 different anchors, two meteorologists, and a few traffic anchors, until they finally settled into the current line-up. Until the current team found their footing, they weren't very competitive, but having the A-team on from 6am gave the station an easy win in the hour. Why kick the other stations' butts at 7, when you can also do it at 6? That said, the B-team is now #1, too, but the 6 o'clock switch is well-engrained. No need to change it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Glad to see that Chris is having a renaissance of sorts at 'PIX.

On an unrelated note, I'm intrigued at why some of the non-network morning shows switch to their A teams at 6am. WPIX and WGN do this, specifically. I live in Los Angeles and KTLA has their B morning team from 4-7am, and the A morning team from 7-11am. In terms of fairness, it seems like at least a 3hr block for each team would be fair. Is this negotiatied contractually or just preference by station management?

I'm guessing that if you were to look at the ratings, you would find a somewhat sizable increase in viewership in the 6-7am hour, at least in New York. WNYW goes to dual anchors (when they have someone available) then, and WPIX switches to their main anchors and has Byron  start with weather then.

My guess is, 6-7am is a critical hour on the big 3 networks because it's their audiences' last chance to get local news before the switch to a national morning show. Stations like Fox &  The CW might want their A-Team anchors in that slot to be more competitive.

In that case, a decent split would be B team 4-6 am, A-team 6-10 am and have your traffic, weather, entertainment anchors handle the fluff from 10-11am.

Edited by iron_lion

2 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I noticed PIX seems to have stopped social distancing at the anchor desk effective today

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.32.27 PM.png

I’m sure we’ll see the other stations do it too in the coming days.. last time when NY dropped the mask mandate they were back to normal seating. If I remember right it was only WABC that didn’t. 

From various reports, the Nexstar #2 and #3 stations, plus the latter's adjoining cable network, haven't been the strictest with local protocols, so I'm not surprised that PIX11 is the first in New York to make this move.

4 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Ahh I see- very happy for them; especially both being veterans of the morning show for 22 years! Now all we need is Linda Church to come out of retirement and finally  make the move to weekends 😅

She would have to do it remotely from Florida. And I don't want to say bad things about people, but from what I have seen on IG, I think she's not really TV-presentable these days. Not like it's happening, anyway.

But yes, great news for Kirstin and Craig. I'm guessing the powers that be do not see Kala as anchor material.

Edited by MisterBill

22 hours ago, MisterBill said:

The answer is Kirstin and Craig, per her IG.

Happy for Craig Treadway and Kirstin Cole.. Both being veterans of the Morning news. They get to have their own morning show. Hopefully, they can incorporate Kala and few other veterans into the Weekend morning show.  Who's doing weather?  Hopefully, it's Craig Allen.

Edited by Spintech33