WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, dabx said:

You're kidding right? Do you think Byron comes in at 5:45, gets dressed and jumps on the air? No he is preparing his forecast way before he gets on the air - and he is working till 11:00 - five hours normally on the air, ?? prepping 

Also, that Nexstar job link, it was posted 21 days ago

I mean Mike Woods does 4:30-10.. is there even much weather in the 9 and 10:00 hours? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dabx said:

You're kidding right? Do you think Byron comes in at 5:45, gets dressed and jumps on the air? No he is preparing his forecast way before he gets on the air - and he is working till 11:00 - five hours normally on the air, ?? prepping 

Also, that Nexstar job link, it was posted 21 days ago

Who said anything about Byron getting in at 5:45am?  And who actually thinks the on-air personality is preparing the forecast?  Nothing would surprise me when it comes to PIX 11, but most of these stations have weather producers who are putting together the graphics and forecast. 

As someone else noted, Fox 5’s Mike Woods is on air from 4:30-10:00am. CBS 2’s Elise Finch and ABC 7’s Sam Champion both handle the morning shows from 4:30-7:00, weather hits during the 7-9am national shows, and even stick around for the noon broadcasts.

Once again, why exactly does PIX need two weather anchors in the morning?

Edited by bc485
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, bc485 said:

Who said anything about Byron getting in at 5:45am?  And who actually thinks the on-air personality is preparing the forecast?  Nothing would surprise me when it comes to PIX 11, but most of these stations have weather producers who are putting together the graphics and forecast. 

Mike Woods on Fox 5 is on air from 4:30-10:00am, and Elise Finch and Sam Champion both handle the morning shows from 4:30-7:00, do weather hits during the 7-9am National shows, and even stick around for the noon broadcast.

Once again, why exactly does PIX need two weather anchors in the morning?

WPIX sister station KTLA has 2 morning wx people. Henry DiCarlo does 4-7am, Mark Kriski does 7-11am. Granted, KTLA is more established in the morning than WPIX, it goes to show that a 2 wx person model can work in an easy wx market like Los Angeles.  Expanding on that, KTLAs AM/early afternoon news block goes from 4am-2pm straight. the 11am-2pm wx duties are handled by someone else too- Kaj Goldberg 3 days per week, as he does weekend PM as well. Weekend AM wx person Kacey Montoya will fill in the other days or back up weather person Kirk Hawkins.

Wx segments and maps are usually built by a behind the scenes producer. All talent has a hand in what goes out over the air, but the bulk of the work is handled by a producer. I assume it is the same at WPIX.

I see it both ways...Back in the morning show old days, they only had Linda Church do the entire show, but that was also before any expansion (4:30/5-9 or even 8 at the time). As they started expanding, they decided to split duties, which to me makes sense (Lisa Mateo, Rachel Frank, Chris Knowles for a time). FOX5 does have Mike Woods doing the entire broadcast, however their broadcast is also shorter.

Back to PIX, I think, in retrospect, Byron's on air hours were 6-11am (with much less hits during 10-11am I believe) and Marisa's were 4:30-9/10ish (I think they stop doing traffic hits at some point in the late mornings but not entirely sure); so it was even in that sense. Of course this doesn't include any beforehand preparation. Either way I'd be fine with whatever route they took; to me the logical solution would be to just have Byron and Jill the full show time, but logic many times isn't the result.

Also, I wonder what the likelihood would be of Betty going to FOX5? As seen by comments she seemed to have a following at PIX.  Kind of off-topic, but they are in need of 2 morning anchors at least...

Michelle Romano who did quite a bit of on air reporting and fill in traffic and later behind the scenes stuff  for News 12 Long Island and Westchester announced that she’s left the station and has a career move announcement coming up in the next few days.. I wonder if there’s any chance she’ll go over to PIX? 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Marisa's were 4:30-9/10ish (I think they stop doing traffic hits at some point in the late mornings but not entirely sure)

They made a change a couple of months ago and the last traffic report is done at 8:30 AM. 

Today Stacy-Ann did the forecasts 4:30-6 AM. Jill did the traffic reports.

Edited by IceManNYR

I know Erica Grow stopped freelancing a while ago to go to accuweather full time, and they now lost Marissa Torres, so definitely a shortage of meteorologists there now. When Craig originally left it was said that he would continue to freelance there, which I think now is the first time he has. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

I wonder if it's ratings that's stopping other stations from expanding to 4, or if that's what caused caused WPIX to cancel it's first attempt.

Cheaper to run news! It's a money grab (if they can find advertisers to buy at 4am) Otherwise they will package it in with digital sales. There are no ratings at 4am and national is easier to run --If you have the network programming. Otherwise, it's expensive to run "The Jefferson's" as a leadin to 5am news or in this case 4:30a 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, newsfan6 said:

Cheaper to run news! It's a money grab (if they can find advertisers to buy at 4am) Otherwise they will package it in with digital sales. There are no ratings at 4am and national is easier to run --If you have the network programming. Otherwise, it's expensive to run "The Jefferson's" as a leadin to 5am news or in this case 4:30a 

Copy. I was also wondering if talent push back was a factor in other stations not going so early, but definitely the financial aspect is foremost.

Edited by iron_lion

7 hours ago, newsfan6 said:

Is it really cheaper to run news instead of a syndicated show they already bought the rights to? There are a bunch of people you have to pay for that extra 30 minutes compared to close to nothing to rerun another sitcom. 

22 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Is it really cheaper to run news instead of a syndicated show they already bought the rights to? There are a bunch of people you have to pay for that extra 30 minutes compared to close to nothing to rerun another sitcom. 

YES! Broadcast syndication fees can be enormous and if you're not yielding a strong enough rating to recoup station loss then you might as well run news since you have salaried employees there (anyway). Most stations get away without hiring additional staffing. The state of linear TV is NOT good in case you've been living under a rock .. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, newsfan6 said:

YES! Broadcast syndication fees can be enormous and if you're not yielding a strong enough rating to recoup station loss then you might as well run news since you have salaried employees there (anyway). Most stations get away without hiring additional staffing. The state of linear TV is NOT good in case you've been living under a rock .. 

@newsfan6 is spot on that the salaried staff is already on the payroll. I would add one more thing. A station keeps 100% of the commercial time in their local news. The spot load is usually heavier in a newscast vs an off-network sitcom or other syndicated show and all the inventory is local. So they don't even need a great rating for a news expansion to make financial sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, iron_lion said:

So Dan and Hazel will be anchoring from 6-11am now according to the new promo. I'm sure they want to push the main morning anchor duo but John & Kirstin from 4-7, then Dan & Hazel from 7-11 would be a more even split.

I'm guessing that 6-7 is a major competitive time slot, and they want their #1 team then.  I've noticed that WNBC has been advertising TINY segments during the evening news, claiming that the show starts at 6am, when obviously they're on at 4am.

Also look at how Fox5 has Bianca Peters in to co-anchor the 6-7am hour.

Edited by MisterBill

Yeah the 6am hour seems to be a popular one, so I guess it makes sense to put their main team on then; despite it being a lot of hours for Dan and Hazel. Also the one promo I saw seems to only show John anchoring, and Kirstin out in the field with no mention of Jill; so as of now I'd assume Kirstin and Jill are not permanent additions despite them being on now.