WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

58 minutes ago, dabx said:

I really have to laugh at some of these comments on how WPIX staff was treated 5 - 10 years ago. Today there is are entirely different owners, management that had nothing to do with the past, so assume that anything that is done today is based on prior experiences is wrong - Regardless of what may think, this is a business and if the talent, or product, is not making money, they have the right to change it. I see positive things here - I see that they are trying to improve things - and get rid of any garbage that the inept owners and management team left.

And lets forget Jim Watkins or Lynn White - at the end, Lynn White looked like she didn't know what was going on and Jim Watkins - if he is so great what is his history after PIX - WTNH 8? for a short period - I liked Jim, but what ever he did was toxic to his career

Man, I used to remember Jim Watkins during his days on WNBC.  All of New York media was very talented during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Those were the good ole days.  Lynn White was excellent in what she did while at Pix 11. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Man, I used to remember Jim Watkins during his days on WNBC.  All of New York media was very talented during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Those were the good ole days.  Lynn White was excellent in what she did while at Pix 11. 

Agreed! What prompted them to move Betty to 4:30am suddenly?

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, iron_lion said:

Agreed! What prompted them to move Betty to 4:30am suddenly?

Part of me thinks this was Betty's choice to request a move to 4:30AM. My overall evaluation with John and Betty in the morning is very good. They both have good chemistry.  Now the question is will another change happen if this pairing doesn't work?

Dan and Hazel was also very good this past week.

I wish both early AM shows a success.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I'm surprised she 'd want worse hours (if) it were her choice.

I'll say this. Betty has done very well for the past 4 years at pix and they are to willing to accommodate.  So it's safe to say she's in a good place to demand early morning hours.  Also, that newsroom just got a recent news director from West 57th Street which partly tells me that Hazel has good history with the recent ND.  Pix is competing for a top spot to edge out GDNY. Personally I feel they can do.  GDNY is completely done in my book.  GDNY hasn't been the same since the days of Lyn Brown, Julie Golden, Larry Hoff, Felipe Luciaino, Jim Ryan, Dick Oliver, Gordon Elliott, Robyn Carter, Mario Bosquez, Ken Rosato, and Greg Kelly.

7 hours ago, MisterBill said:

I was away this week, but based on her IG posts it seems like Kirstin was co-anchoring at 4pm with Tamsen. Vanessa out again?

Yes, correct! I did see that Kirstin mentioned the last time she anchored with Tamsen was at a station 'down the block' (hint on West 57th street haha). I think at this point well over half the people at PIX worked at WCBS at some point (Tamsen, Kirstin, Jay Down, Magee Hickey, Mary Murphy, now Hazel, formerly Suki, Jill at one point, Mr. G also at one point, I think I can go on lol).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't surprise me, but I noticed Betty is gone from the main Bio page, and it actually says this on her old bio. Not confirmed but this seems to spell it out clearly: 

https://pix11.com/author/betty-nguyen/

Definitely makes me think this demotion wasn't her decision.

I just hope they give the role to Kirstin already, if she wants it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

This doesn't surprise me, but I noticed Betty is gone from the main Bio page, and it actually says this on her old bio. Not confirmed but this seems to spell it out clearly: 

https://pix11.com/author/betty-nguyen/

Definitely makes me think this demotion wasn't her decision.

I just hope they give the role to Kirstin already, if she wants it.

To save others the trouble of clicking on the link, it says

"Betty Nguyen was an anchor for the PIX11 Morning News. She left the station in October 2021."

Seems odd they would leave it up.

1 hour ago, dabx said:

It is kind of weird that they would keep her bio up saying she left WPIX - maybe not the building? Nexstar?

Per her social media, any references to PIX11 has been scrubbed. Most likely an announcement is forthcoming

4 hours ago, bc485 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-weather-names-additional-meteorologists-154800847.html

PIX11 traffic and weather anchor Marissa Torres is joining Fox Weather as a co-anchor.  

First Betty leaves the station 

Now, Marisa is leaving for better pastures. Damm, 48th and 6th is gonna have some familiar faces in NYC media in the next week or so.  Congrats to Marisa. Well deserved. She paid her dues at PIX. 

10 hours ago, bc485 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-weather-names-additional-meteorologists-154800847.html

PIX11 traffic and weather anchor Marissa Torres is joining Fox Weather as a co-anchor.  

Some interesting stuff in that press release. I did not know that she was considered a co-anchor, nor do I see any evidence in her Linkedin that she is a meteorologist. Maybe she got it on the side like Reagan Medgie did? Also, how does one forecast traffic?

Since 2014, she has been forecasting early morning weather and traffic for WPIX, elevating to co-anchor of the PIX11 Morning News program.

She is also an active member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and an accredited Meteorologist.

16 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Some interesting stuff in that press release. I did not know that she was considered a co-anchor, nor do I see any evidence in her Linkedin that she is a meteorologist. Maybe she got it on the side like Reagan Medgie did? Also, how does one forecast traffic?

Since 2014, she has been forecasting early morning weather and traffic for WPIX, elevating to co-anchor of the PIX11 Morning News program.

She is also an active member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and an accredited Meteorologist.

Fox News PR embellishment.  Question is, does this streaming service have any chance of succeeding, considering the size and history of TWC.

13 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Fox News PR embellishment.  Question is, does this streaming service have any chance of succeeding, considering the size and history of TWC.

For the sake of people like Amy, Marissa and many others who have apparently given up steady jobs, I hope so. FiOS doesn't even carry TWC, so the real question is, is there a market for a streaming weather channel for cord cutters and others.

As for the PR stuff, I was particularly interested in whether she was really a meteorologist. She certainly did a credible job with the weather at PIX11, but there is no mention of that on her LinkedIn page, nor have I ever hard it mentioned.

Edited by MisterBill

Good for Marissa, she definitely presented the weather well and seemed to be a credible source for weather info. With Marissa Torres, Amy Freeze, Geoff Bansen and others; fox weather certainly has its share of young and veteran broadcasters and meteorologists. 

Either way a huge loss for PIX; especially since she handled traffic and weather. Jill could do traffic as she's had that gig before but having her do the weather full time doesn't seem right. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

I wonder if Jill Nicolini would want the full time traffic reporter job again?  As the very least I'm guessing she'll be doing the traffic reports until WPIX hires a new person.

If Pix is smart. Jill needs to be full time at this.  She’s been there for quite a while.. I find it kinda hard to find a new traffic reporter at least in New York City. I don’t even know if shadow traffic (the company) exists anymore.  A lot of the reporters that were in that company were eventually elevated to their current positions at the O&O’s in NYC. 

Edited by Spintech33
  • Like 1

WPIX posted a listing for a Traffic and Weather Anchor on the Nexstar Media Group website, so while I hoped Jill Nicolini would get the job, it seems they are looking elsewhere:  https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/NY-New-York/Traffic-Weather-Anchor_REQ-12656

Shadow Traffic, according to Wikipedia, merged with Total Traffic Network, and no longer exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Traffic

1 hour ago, PIXfan said:

WPIX posted a listing for a Traffic and Weather Anchor on the Nexstar Media Group website, so while I hoped Jill Nicolini would get the job, it seems they are looking elsewhere:  https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/NY-New-York/Traffic-Weather-Anchor_REQ-12656

Shadow Traffic, according to Wikipedia, merged with Total Traffic Network, and no longer exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Traffic

PIX 11 has a well-qualified candidate for this job already on the payroll:  Stacy-Ann Gooden. She is currently the weekend weather anchor, but in a past life, she was the traffic anchor on Fox 5’s Good Day New York in the mid-2000s. 

I also do not understand the logic of needing a hybrid traffic/weather anchor. Is it really too much work for Byron Miranda to start with the weather at 4:30 instead of 6:00?

Edited by bc485

3 hours ago, bc485 said:

PIX 11 has a well-qualified candidate for this job already on the payroll:  Stacy-Ann Gooden. She is currently the weekend weather anchor, but in a past life, she was the traffic anchor on Fox 5’s Good Day New York in the mid-2000s. 

I also do not understand the logic of needing a hybrid traffic/weather anchor. Is it really too much work for Byron Miranda to start with the weather at 4:30 instead of 6:00?

You're kidding right? Do you think Byron comes in at 5:45, gets dressed and jumps on the air? No he is preparing his forecast way before he gets on the air - and he is working till 11:00 - five hours normally on the air, ?? prepping 

Also, that Nexstar job link, it was posted 21 days ago

Edited by dabx