WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I'm going to miss Hazel on CBS 2 but she's a great anchor and it seems like she already has chemistry with Dan Mannarino. I bet they'll be a very exciting team to watch.

FOX5 better be careful who they select to be with Rosanna. Her and Greg were untouchable when they were together so their selection will nr interesting. They definitely need a male presence 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYTV said:

Perhaps getting called up to Newsnation? Betty does have national news experience between her CNN and CBS runs

Has she been on recently? I don't watch when she's on, and she isn't very active on social media. Of course, she could be going to FOX5, in spite of nynewslover just saying that they need a male presence.

Still odd for a replacement to be named before the current occupant has announced that they are leaving.

Edited by MisterBill

Hmm interesting- but Hazel's a great pickup for WPIX; she always was top notch filling in on the anchor desk at WCBS and she's well acclimated to New York viewers so a much deserved promotion for her! So the question again is where does Betty go? Perhaps leaving the station, perhaps not. Part of me wonders whether she's moved to early mornings with John Muller? I'm still surprised since PIX's roster currently has a lot of underutilized anchor possibilities (Shirley, Kala, Kirstin) so with Hazel also on board it makes me think somebody is leaving. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I'm still surprised since PIX's roster currently has a lot of underutilized anchor possibilities (Shirley, Kala, Kirstin) so with Hazel also on board it makes me think somebody is leaving. 

Well, the powers that be clearly didn't see then being as good as Hazel. If they wanted to move Kala back to the anchoring in the morning, she would have been there by now. 

Personally, I can't see Betty moving to the early show as being the move since it would be a demotion.

Betty has expressed about the morning grind, but based on what KTLA is doing, I can see WPIX expanding into afternoon, so might fill the afternoons with Vanessa.  As for Kala, I think her leaving the anchor spot was more about the pandemic and her family. I expect more news soon. I did see that they added a reporter. Also an expansion on weekends? - again I think anything goes including evenings

15 minutes ago, dabx said:

Betty has expressed about the morning grind, but based on what KTLA is doing, I can see WPIX expanding into afternoon, so might fill the afternoons with Vanessa.  As for Kala, I think her leaving the anchor spot was more about the pandemic and her family. I expect more news soon. I did see that they added a reporter. Also an expansion on weekends? - again I think anything goes including evenings

I thought I saw a comment from Kala that it was not her decision to leave the morning anchor slot.  If Betty didn't like the morning grind, she's certainly not going to want to move to 5-7am, unless she wants the opportunity to be home before her kids leave for school.

Edited by MisterBill

10 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Has she been on recently? I don't watch when she's on, and she isn't very active on social media. Of course, she could be going to FOX5, in spite of nynewslover just saying that they need a male presence.

Still odd for a replacement to be named before the current occupant has announced that they are leaving.

Well, a similar thing happened when Betty was arriving at PIX and the then-news director had directed the talent to make announcements on social media to welcome her. Sukanya had refused and was immediately fired for it 

http://tunedinnyc.com/2017/05/18/sukanya-krishnan-fired-at-wpix/

22 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Per the WCBS thread, Hazel Sanchez just announced on IG that she is the new 7-11am co-anchor of the WPIX Morning News. Had Betty announced that she was leaving?

Part of me tells me that Pix is gonna do Betty dirty with this installment. 

But, there's no mention of Betty leaving.

However, another part of me is that Betty might be doing 4:30AM-7AM prolly gives her time to see her kids for school. 

In all seriousness, whatever the situation is it doesn't look good for Betty right now.

The bigger part is that why is PIX trying make all these changes.  Is it me or Nexstar is trying very hard to be #1 in the New York media market. Because if that's the case.. It's not working. They are not getting past WABC and WNBC for the # 1 spot.  Pix will be fine at # 3.

Well good to hear that Betty isn't leaving, and hopefully this was her choice... PIX definitely has a thing for demoting a lot of its main anchors (John multiple times, obviously Kaity and Jim years ago, Craig and Kala, and now Betty) so definitely not the first time this has happened. Probably related to the new ND from WCBS trying to shake things up for November sweeps. The only real consistent team has been Tamsen/Kori on evenings, which would make me think evening ratings are better than the mornings?

Also as a side note I noticed the anchors still social distance at WPIX, similar to WABC- so I guess these are the only two stations still doing that

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

Hazel and Dan on this morning at 7AM.

Betty and John this morning at 4:30AM..

... a new day at Pix 11 Morning news.

I wonder what change is next?

Kala Rama coanchored with John Muller this morning at 4:30 a.m.  I did not see the 5 or 6 a.m. hours but assume she anchored those, too. No mention of Betty. 

43 minutes ago, bc485 said:

Kala Rama coanchored with John Muller this morning at 4:30 a.m.  I did not see the 5 or 6 a.m. hours but assume she anchored those, too. No mention of Betty. 

Dan Mannarino is replying to people on Twitter that Betty will be on the early morning news tomorrow, so I guess she was just off today. 

• Thanks 1

I guess it's a strange question, but with the way everyone on social media is asking, is Betty well loved/liked?

Forgive me for saying, but I always found her dull for morning news and she did not compliment Dan very well, nor does she have a quick, wit type sense of humor during the lighter segments after 9am. If Dan is going to be the "face" of PIX11, he needs someone to better suit his personality.

I would have liked to have seen Vanessa or Kirstin with him, but that's just me.

Edited by civic110

29 minutes ago, civic110 said:

I guess it's a strange question, but with the way everyone on social media is asking, is Betty well loved/liked?

Forgive me for saying, but I always found her dull for morning news and she did not compliment Dan very well, nor does she have a quick, wit type sense of humor during the lighter segments after 9am. If Dan is going to be the "face" of PIX11, he needs someone to better suit his personality.

I would have liked to have seen Vanessa or Kirstin with him, but that's just me.

Yeah I've been seeing a ton of comments asking for Betty; however I do agree that although they worked well- they were not the next Rosanna or Greg haha. They definitely seem to want Dan to be the face of the station (now doing the politics show Sunday AM in addition to main AM anchor)- and I think he's deserved it after his reporting days and he can balance hard news/fun segments well. Betty I think is more of a hard news anchor since her background was CNN/early Today so putting her on a lighter fare show like Pix11 morning news was an experiment. She did try her best, but I think she'll do well in the early AM with John Muller with harder news segments. I also think Hazel is another complete experiment- she's great and credible with hard news; but I don't think we've gotten to see Hazel in action with lighter/more laid back segments over at WCBS... it seems that her and Dan were good friends before, so maybe they're counting on that? 

Vanessa I feel did well with Dan whenever she filled in, same with Kirstin. Perhaps the answer has been right in front of them.. put Marysol Castro back in the anchor chair! Haha I loved watching her and Dan do the 4-6 show back in the day; they definitely have real chemistry. Either way if Hazel doesn't work out with Dan, I could see them switching her and Tamsen in time perhaps...

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:57 AM, iron_lion said:

LOL! It’d be cool if Lynn White and John Muller could work together again

She's doing quite fine in real estate. She doesn't need to be back in TV Business.

Ain't she get bumped for Suki in 2005 and speaking about Suki, I was watching a few old clips of Suki during her WCBS days.  Honestly, only if she would of stayed at WCBS. I guess no one wants to be # 2 behind Dana Tyler.

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

She's doing quite fine in real estate. She doesn't need to be back in TV Business.

Ain't she get bumped for Suki in 2005 and speaking about Suki, I was watching a few old clips of Suki during her WCBS days.  Honestly, only if she would of stayed at WCBS. I guess no one wants to be # 2 behind Dana Tyler.

I really have to laugh at some of these comments on how WPIX staff was treated 5 - 10 years ago. Today there is are entirely different owners, management that had nothing to do with the past, so assume that anything that is done today is based on prior experiences is wrong - Regardless of what may think, this is a business and if the talent, or product, is not making money, they have the right to change it. I see positive things here - I see that they are trying to improve things - and get rid of any garbage that the inept owners and management team left.

And lets forget Jim Watkins or Lynn White - at the end, Lynn White looked like she didn't know what was going on and Jim Watkins - if he is so great what is his history after PIX - WTNH 8? for a short period - I liked Jim, but what ever he did was toxic to his career

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1