WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

13 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Hmm interesting. I would think if they wanted to start a 4pm newscast, their 5pm ratings would be halfway decent? It would be great if Kala and Craig were named anchors, and perhaps given the 4 and 6pm then? Craig seems to still fill in quite a bit, Kala not as much, with Shirley Chan being the main fill in anchor (who I also wouldn't mind as an anchor candidate). To me it would be total overkill to have Tamsen and Kori anchor 2 1/2 hours straight of news, but then again the morning anchors do it. To think out of the box, Kirstin Cole would be another candidate who fills in a lot on the mornings (although she is better suited for mornings).

I agree. They would likely do a 4 and 6 team/ 5 and 10 team. Would make the most sense. Judge Judy ends in 2022 I believe, I wonder if WCBS will add a 4pm too? 

33 minutes ago, nynewslover said:

I agree. They would likely do a 4 and 6 team/ 5 and 10 team. Would make the most sense. Judge Judy ends in 2022 I believe, I wonder if WCBS will add a 4pm too? 

Re:  I wonder if WCBS will add a 4pm too? 

I present to you, News 2 at 4. I doubt they will do a re-boot.

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Re:  I wonder if WCBS will add a 4pm too? 

I present to you, News 2 at 4. I doubt they will do a re-boot.

Plenty of stations have had 4pm newscasts, gotten rid of them, and brought them back years or decades later. Not sure why you’re doubting it could happen. 

In addition to the 4 p.m. newscast, WPIX is starting a weekly football themed show called "NY Blitz," which is scheduled to start this Sunday.

I agree with @NYNewsCoverage with regards to who should anchor the new newscast.  Shirley and Kala are great anchors, and Craig has been filling in for Kori.  The idea of Tamsen and Kori doing 4, 5, 6, and 10 is overkill.

14 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Does WPIX really need another newscast? Their morning news is alright but the rest is just okay quality wise. From a business standpoint I suppose it’s beneficial to them.

They may be trying to follow the KTLA route; Newscast pretty much 75% of the day. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Does WPIX really need another newscast? Their morning news is alright but the rest is just okay quality wise. From a business standpoint I suppose it’s beneficial to them.

Local content is more lucrative than syndicated, and what's being shopped around for syndication isn't great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I saw tvguides have changed to reflect the 'PIX11 news at 4' starting this Monday, still no official announcement of anything so it could just be a quiet launch...

Just saw a commercial for the new show and no indication of who's anchoring it.

32 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Just saw a commercial for the new show and no indication of who's anchoring it.

I snooped around and found a promo! To no shock its Tamsen Fadal but Vanessa Freeman is apparently her co anchor (so her hours are 4:30am -5pm with an awkward break... sad to see that Kala, Craig and Shirley are passed up yet again

On 9/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

I snooped around and found a promo! To no shock its Tamsen Fadal but Vanessa Freeman is apparently her co anchor (so her hours are 4:30am -5pm with an awkward break... sad to see that Kala, Craig and Shirley are passed up yet again

Per Vanessa’s fb page she mentions she’s going to miss her am team. So sounds like she won’t be doing both mornings and afternoons but co-anchoring the 4 and likely reporting for the other evening shows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

Per Vanessa’s fb page she mentions she’s going to miss her am team. So sounds like she won’t be doing both mornings and afternoons but co-anchoring the 4 and likely reporting for the other evening shows. 

Not a big surprise, is it? I wonder if Kirstin Cole gets the morning slot, or they look for someone else (presumably younger or more diverse). She's pretty good with John.

Yeah I say if Kirstin wants the spot it should be hers! Both her and John are morning show veterans so they have a history and it shows. Vanessa's a solid anchor but she wasn't anything special with John so it will be nice to see her shine in the evenings. It seems like PIX is taking a page out of WNBC with the anchors standing; glad they're making use out of the other part of the studio.

27 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Although many here would approve, I find it hard to believe that they'd bring back Kala after they dumped her from that spot.

It's Kirstin Cole's spot officially if they make the right decision. However, also I'd put Shirley Chan in the running. Although, she's the additional coverage when Tamsen or Kori is out.

• Like 1