WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

7 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Wow.... Newsroom changes already... I could see Dan, Betty, Byron, Ben, and Marisol going bye-bye soon. 
Nexstar I tell you..

UPDATE: Craig Treadway is moving to evenings. Uncertain with Kala Rama

As per the picture I posted Kala Rama is not joining Craig Treadway on night

0720A591-570A-4ADF-98AE-9347CE8F317D.jpeg

16 minutes ago, JoseRM303 said:

Either Kala is staying on mornings at PIX (moving to co-anchor the 7-9am portion) or she’s leaving PIX all together. 

What does Craig Treadway's answer of 'afraid not' mean? He is answering two separate questions with an ambiguous answer

24 minutes ago, dabx said:

What does Craig Treadway's answer of 'afraid not' mean? He is answering two separate questions with an ambiguous answer

Someone asked if Kala was joining him at 6 pm and he replied “afraid not” meaning Kala is either staying on the morning shift at PIX, moving to a reporter role or leaving the station all together. 

7 hours ago, Newsjunker95 said:

It’ll take a while for David Ushery to get a new co-anchor. Had a feeling Gilma Avalos would do it but she remains to anchor during the weekends.  Hope they don’t drop Kala out of the morning news on the other hand, 

I would like see Rana Novini take the spot as David's co-anchor. She does a good job anchoring and reporting. Not a fan of Gilma.

11 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Wow.... Newsroom changes already... I could see Dan, Betty, Byron, Ben, and Marisol going bye-bye soon. 
Nexstar I tell you..

UPDATE: Craig Treadway is moving to evenings. Uncertain with Kala Rama

But didn't ratings improve drastically with the team of Dan, Betty, Byron and Marissa? Why mess with it?

Edited by NYNews
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NYNews said:

I would like see Rana Novini take the spot as David's co-anchor. She does a good job anchoring and reporting. Not a fan of Gilma.

But didn't ratings improve drastically with the team of Dan, Betty, Byron and Marissa? Why mess with it?

Rana Novini is a good one as she does the job right in both anchoring and field reporter. But I wouldn't give any hopes for that to be official at this point. 

On the other hand, ratings kind of improved in mid 2017 when Betty and Dan became the new morning anchors as there was not any problem with their chemistry (unlike Sukanya and Kori). As for Kala Rama, I hope they keep her on PIX 11 as she's one but the best of the morning anchors. Hopefully, she'll be on the field intentionally. 

Edited by Newsjunker95

8 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

Someone asked if Kala was joining him at 6 pm and he replied “afraid not” meaning Kala is either staying on the morning shift at PIX, moving to a reporter role or leaving the station all together. 

Read more closely. The person asked Craig two questions:  if he was taking over the 6:00 p.m. news, and if Kala would be joining him. Craig’s reply, “afraid not,” could mean Kala’s not joining him, but it also might mean that he’s not going to be anchoring at 6:00 p.m.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen anything specifically stating that Craig will be anchoring at 6:00 p.m.  We know John Muller is leaving the 6:00 p.m. for the 4:30-7:00 a.m. newscast, and we know Craig is moving to evenings. But we don’t know for sure that Craig will be anchoring. For all we know, he’s going to be reporting. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Newsjunker95 said:

It’ll take a while for David Ushery to get a new co-anchor. Had a feeling Gilma Avalos would do it but she remains to anchor during the weekends.  Hope they don’t drop Kala out of the morning news on the other hand, 

I don't see WNBC management making any moves with regards to David's co-anchor anytime soon.  If I were a bettor Rana should deserve the top spot. I also too like Jen Maxfield. However, Gilma Avalos is fine on the weekends.  Now, I could only see Kala staying if she's out on the field. However, if she decides to leave. WNBC would be the logical place for her. Look Myles Miller is there and he's doing very well there. So the possibility of 2 PIX alums at WNBC is not far in reach.

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

I don't see WNBC management making any moves with regards to David's co-anchor anytime soon.  If I were a bettor Rana should deserve the top spot. I also too like Jen Maxfield. However, Gilma Avalos is fine on the weekends.  Now, I could only see Kala staying if she's out on the field. However, if she decides to leave. WNBC would be the logical place for her. Look Myles Miller is there and he's doing very well there. So the possibility of 2 PIX alums at WNBC is not far in reach.

I think know they just wanted to go under the budget on WNBC for now. Stacey Bell left the station for personal reasons in the first place. Rana Novini and/or Jen Maxfield seem like the right fit due to them constantly filling in at 11a and 5p. Kala should probably end up on the field while continuing at PIX in either shift as I don't think they would dismiss her at any time. 

Alternate take: 4:30-7 is actually a very good time, considering (in normal times) everyone has to get up and ready for work/school. It's one of the most important timeslots for a news operation.

At least Muller's back on the morning shift again.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Alternate take: 4:30-7 is actually a very good time, considering (in normal times) everyone has to get up and ready for work/school. It's one of the most important timeslots for a news operation.

At least Muller's back on the morning shift again.

I agree with your take. Also, the real demotion for Muller was when he lost the 10:00 p.m. slot (almost two years ago, I believe) to Kori Chambers. When Muller returned to PIX from ABC, he was the main anchor at 5, 6, and 10:00 p.m.  He was eventually replaced by Chambers at 5, but retained the 6 and 10. Then he lost the 10, leaving him with only a half hour at 6. 

It IS funny to me, though, that he’s anchoring the 4:30-7:00 a.m. slot, since he was the main morning anchor for years, dating back to the launch of the Morning News. Of course, he lost that slot and was replaced by the late Chris Burrous in 2010 and moved to the early morning slot until he left in 2011 and moved on to ABC. 

18 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Craig said today (on Instagram) that he will be reporting, not anchoring. 

Reading between the lines on social media, it looks as if Kala is leaving PIX. Just speculation at this point. 

On Facebook, it states Craig and Kala will be reporting and they will be the filling anchors weeknights.

6 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Basically a demotion. What's not broken doesn't need to be fixed.

But if PIX is trying to catch  WABC and WNBC for top morning show between 4:30-7, they still have a long shot.

Exactly my point, WPIX is well know for doing these "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" for a decade now. John Muller was fine for the 6 and 10pm since 2016 while Kala and Craig were the perfect fit for 4:30-6am. These changes has been going on since Kaity Tong and Jim Watkins were removed in October 2010 and were replaced with Jodi Applegate. That was a turning point for the station at the time as it did not felt the same prior as Kaity and Jim were the perfect fit for the station for years prior as nothing was wrong in which it all dates back to these "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" things. I am pretty sure the morning ratings will an increase, who knows. Because when Scott and Sukanya had the slot, that was a turning point for the morning news with all these unnecessary antics which made the show very unwatchable. But hey, John Muller is a veteran and a personal favorite of mines as he's been on with the station for 2 decades. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sister station KTLA runs the Morning News block from 4a-11am. Then another news block from 11am-12pm under the Morning News banner with the afternoon anchors, plus news at 1pm and 3pm. Its been successful for them, but yes, it is overkill.

• Thanks 1

Feels like another hour of copy and paste. Nothing special but stupid antics and no news related after 8:30 am. I see the 9 and 10 am shows gone in a year from now as how an extra hour is going to help the station again. The 6:30 pm newscast with Kaity Tong and Brenda Blackmon lasted only 8 months (January - September 2016) as it did not helped the station to its expectations. Lets see in the coming months if this extra morning hour was worth to budget. 

Edited by Newsjunker95
  • Like 1