WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

From the website

NEW YORK, September 16, 2019 – PIX11 today announced Meteorologist Stacy-Ann Gooden will join PIX11 News, where she will deliver the weather on the Saturday and Sunday editions of the PIX 11 News at 5pm and10pm and report for other broadcasts and platforms.  She joins the station in September and will report to Vickie Burns, VP of News and Content.

Gooden comes to PIX11 with a deep history in the market, most recently at NY1 where she was the Meteorologist for Mornings on 1. Previously, Gooden worked at News 12 Networks where she served as the evening weather anchor for Brooklyn and the Bronx. While at News 12, Gooden was honored with a NY Press Club award for her coverage of Superstorm Sandy.   She has also held weather anchor positions at CBS This Morning Saturday, NBC Weather Plus, RNN/Verizon Fios and WNYW, where she served as Traffic Authority.

“We’re delighted to welcome Stacy-Ann to the PIX11 family. I’ve watched her grow in the market over several years. She’s now a familiar face to New York viewers. Her experience and warm personality are a terrific fit to expand our weather team,” said Burns.
Said Gooden, “I’m so excited to join the WPIX family. It’s an amazing opportunity to be a part of “New York’s Very Own.” I can’t wait to begin this new journey and I look forward to growing with their extraordinary weather team.”
Prior to her work in television, Gooden competed in the Miss Universe system, both in her native Jamaica and in the US, where she was the second runner-up in the Miss USA preliminaries in New York.

Gooden holds a bachelor’s degree from St. John’s University and is certified in Meteorology by the Mississippi State Geoscience Program.

When she’s not chasing storms, Gooden enjoys spending time with her husband and two children who are often featured in her parenting blog, Weather Anchor Mama: Teaching Children to Weather the Storm.

Maybe they are thinking about a weekend morning newscast since the E/I rule has changed - KWGN is starting a new weekend newscast moving E/I to later in the afternoon

Edited by dabx
added comment

3 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Is she on freelance or permanent?  What does this mean for Joe Cioffi, and the other freelancers?  The only person I know that's permanent is Craig Allen.

Sort of wondering if Craig Allen gave up the weekend gig on PIX 11.  He is getting no younger and he already works M-F on WCBS Radio, albeit from his home.

14 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Sort of wondering if Craig Allen gave up the weekend gig on PIX 11.  He is getting no younger and he already works M-F on WCBS Radio, albeit from his home.

Your guess is my guess if Craig Allen decided to hang it up! I thought he was in studio on 52nd and 6th during the week. Thanks for the confirmation.

No offense to Stacey-Ann, but I'm not a fan. Her delivery is choppy. Craig definitely has a warmer presence. I hope it was his choice to leave.

Jeff Berardelli has been a good substitute. I have seen him sub in on WCBS and WPIX within the last month, but wasn't it his choice to leave the tv news business a while back? The weird thing I find about him is that he doesn't like to refer to the anchor's name when they throw it to him to talk about the weather or when he throws it back to the anchor(s). It might be a small thing, but it makes him less personable.  

On a related note, I once saw a female meteorologist filling-in on WNYW and thought she did a really great job. Her delivery was good and she seemed very knowledgeable. I can't remember her name, but she had blonde hair. I think she has potential to be a #1 market meteorologist, 

Edited by NYNews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYNews said:

No offense to Stacey-Ann, but I'm not a fan. Her delivery is choppy. Craig definitely has a warmer presence. I hope it was his choice to leave.

Jeff Berardelli has been a good substitute. I have seen him sub in on WCBS and WPIX within the last month, but wasn't it his choice to leave the tv news business a while back? The weird thing I find about him is that he doesn't like to refer to the anchor's name when they throw it to him to talk about the weather or when he throws it back to the anchor(s). It might be a small thing, but it makes him less personable.  

On a related note, I once saw a female meteorologist filling-in on WNYW and thought she did a really great job. Her delivery was good and she seemed very knowledgeable. I can't remember her name, but she had blonde hair. I think she has potential to be a #1 market meteorologist, 

If it was this past weekend it was Regan Medgie.. if it was more than a few weeks ago then it was Samantha Augeri.. she actually left FOX5 and is back at News12 Long Island. 

9 hours ago, NYNews said:

Raegan Medgie. Fill-in for GDW,  Reporter, Meteorologist and Freelancer for Weather Channel

I'm not a real fan of Stacy-ann either. However, she's done well in the New York City Market and started at WNYW as a traffic reporter (and not freelance from total traffic)

Also, if it was her choice to leave Spectrum News 1 it's gotta be the infighting within the whole staff and those lawsuits..

As for Craig Allen: Craig will still be at the station as Stacy's fill-in. However, he does loses the permanent gig. A gig he's had since late 2010. 

20 hours ago, dabx said:

Maybe they are thinking about a weekend morning newscast since the E/I rule has changed.

I cannot see WPIX getting into the Weekend morning newscasts. I know they have the talent for it.

However, 5,6, and 10 is good enough for Pix.

UNRELATED: Something tells me that Scripps will clean house at WPIX and they are starting with weather already. Reporters and Anchors are next.

Edited by Spintech33

For the first time in 71 years, WPIX is under new ownership.  As of today, it is part of Scripps Television Stations, one of the spin offs from the Tribune/Nexstar merger (thank goodness).  

https://pix11.com/2019/09/19/wpix-under-new-ownership-for-first-time-in-71-year-history-acquired-by-e-w-scripps/

1 hour ago, PBC5NewsUnova said:

Can't wait to see Scripps destroying and butcher one of NYC's most iconic television stations. It's not going to be pretty imo.

You're right. History will show WPIX was so much better under Tribune. PIX never looked better than when they were broadcasting their 10PM from this messy corner of the newsroom.  😍🏆💯

image.thumb.png.7ffea1f5828d7afd3d29e74b3242fb9b.png

That classic late 2010 set and graphics package from when Bill Carey blew up the 10pm news. Who can forget the giant green "iPad graphics", Mr. G's weather closet, and all the great commentary and round table discussions with Lionel and Larry Mendte. Hard-hitting news like this, And of course the seemingly daily "investigation" into the MTA. 

We're lucky to not have any good videos of the first weeks of this disaster. Even two years later, it was still a giant mess.

About the only thing Scripps could possibly do to the station that Tribune didn't already try is to burn the place down for the insurance money, though with all those cheap extension cords in the lighting grid, it sure looks like they might have been trying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, PBC5NewsUnova said:

Can't wait to see Scripps destroying and butcher one of NYC's most iconic television stations. It's not going to be pretty imo.

That’s humor, right?

It wasn’t bad enough that WPIX has been a train wreck for years. But Tribune management was well aware of it, and chose not to do a thing about it. Maybe they didn’t want to spend the money. Maybe they didn’t want to make changes (other than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic) because they were shopping the stations. Maybe they didn’t want to upset buddies elsewhere in their bloated and disconnected management structure. Maybe it was all of that and more. 

There is absolutely nothing about the WPIX newscast that makes it appointment television. No definitive goal or mission, no identification with a demographic or community, no interest in the boroughs or the suburbs and absolutely nothing distinctive or compelling. WPIX is the hospital food of television news. 

Scripps does have its own problems (such as WMAR). But Scripps might give WPIX a fighting chance to succeed and not just continue to flounder. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PBC5NewsUnova said:

Of the choices of Sinclair, Nexstar, Tegna and Scripps - they actually ended up with the better owner of those 4.  Tegna is ruining all their stations (WXIA, KSDK, among more).  Nexstar, like Sinclair only knows to cut, cut, cut.  Hopefully there is no movement on changing ownership rules considering the obsolete UHF discount was restored, which allowed this deal and Nexstar does not take over.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MetroCity said:

That’s humor, right?

It wasn’t bad enough that WPIX has been a train wreck for years. But Tribune management was well aware of it, and chose not to do a thing about it. Maybe they didn’t want to spend the money. Maybe they didn’t want to make changes ...

Just wait till the Scripps people meet those huge rats...and I mean the furry ones...NOT the union ones.

image.png.efc123a58bf953c74e1fada360a7ae08.png

*No disrespect to union furry's.

image.png.e3d7b0d74cd13eebe833215e393cbbe0.png

Edited by Eat News
SATURDAY'(BByong)' .. https://youtu.be/uamioRNrvQ4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MetroCity said:

That’s humor, right?

It wasn’t bad enough that WPIX has been a train wreck for years. But Tribune management was well aware of it, and chose not to do a thing about it. Maybe they didn’t want to spend the money. Maybe they didn’t want to make changes (other than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic) because they were shopping the stations. Maybe they didn’t want to upset buddies elsewhere in their bloated and disconnected management structure. Maybe it was all of that and more. 

There is absolutely nothing about the WPIX newscast that makes it appointment television. No definitive goal or mission, no identification with a demographic or community, no interest in the boroughs or the suburbs and absolutely nothing distinctive or compelling. WPIX is the hospital food of television news. 

Scripps does have its own problems (such as WMAR). But Scripps might give WPIX a fighting chance to succeed and not just continue to flounder. 

Tribune was a Chicago based company and always favored its Chicago based properties. I have been around for a while, WGN were doing in studio and remote broadcasts in color years before WPIX did, WGN became a superstation way before WPIX did. WGN eventually went to their own separate broadcast facility which gave WGN the space to produce programming while WPIX has a small studio that is in an office building for the last 71 years. WPIX was always a step child and Tribune has always done things cheaply. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WPIX is expanding its morning broadcasts again. They're adding a 9am hour beginning January 6th.

They're also adding Ben Aaron (from Pickler & Ben) & Marysol Castro as feature reporters.

This will be the third time for Marysol on this show, as she was the traffic anchor in the early 2000s. Then in the Fall of 2013, she was the early morning anchor, until the station cut that 4am hour that following summer.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

WPIX is expanding its morning broadcasts again. They're adding a 9am hour beginning January 6th.

They're also adding Ben Aaron (from Pickler & Ben) & Marysol Castro as feature reporters.

Wow! Great pickups.

I loved watching Marysol anchor the 4am portion with Dan Mannarino back in 2013, so I'm excited to see them (former returning as reporter, latter now main co-anchor) together again. Also, Ben was a great talk show host so he's a huge get. Cheers to the news department. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, CircleSeven said:

This will be the third time for Marysol on this show, as she was the traffic anchor in the early 2000s. Then in the Fall of 2013, she was the early morning anchor, until the station cut that 4am hour that following summer.

I just saw the promos for this yesterday.. Good pickups for WPIX. 

Hopefully 3x a charm for Marysol. She's a excellent anchor/reporter and I hope this time PIX uses her in a good capacity.

Don't know too much about Ben Aaron,  but what everyone here is saying he's a good pick up. I see good ratings for PIX.