WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

FTVLive reporting that Nexstar will sell WPIX after acquiring the Tribune station group. The sale of WPIX would bring Nexstar under the ownership cap and infuse money back into the company after the purchase. 

Does this mean that the stations that were intended to be acquired by FOX under the Sinclair deal will not be sold to FOX? How many states will have at least 1 Nexstar station in every market? Colorado is one, of which I know.

2 hours ago, Eyewitness News-man said:

Nope, probably not,

Because PIX11 is affiliated with the CW and WLNY is technically licensed to Riverhead, isn't it feasible that CBS could buy PIX11 as their secondary?

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, brianpr3 said:

Amy Waldman leaving pix 

The bigger news is who is replacing her.  Former NBC O&Os news director Vicki Burns.  She was once the ND at NBC New York, later at KNBC.  She had been consulting to Tribune.  Seems like a serious hire to me and an intent of improving the product.

• Like 2

WNBC's producted suffered under Vicki Burns. When she was in LA for Carmaggedon, KNBC staffers were seriously disturb at how little she cared about that because she doesn't own a car, and on the interwebz it was alleged that she would be out the station by the 5pm News. So we'll see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At this point, WPIX might have to go back to news at 5-9 am and 10 pm only. The saturated 5-7pm slot is already dominated by WABC, WNBC, and WCBS, who all have basically identically formatted newscasts.

WPIX has always been a standout in the mornings and at 10. With Greg Kelly out at GDNY for about a year now, better graphics, a better set, and maybe (another major overhaul in the mornings) might give them a boost. A massive move would be to improve their street side studio at Barclays Center and do a Today plaza styled show. GDNY did this well when they went live from Times Sq for the super bowl. 

Likewise, a Jim Watkins/Kaity Tong 10pm reunion would be awesome and well overdue. WNBC pushed Sue Simmons out and hasn't had a solid replacement for her since. Just like WPIX pushed Watkins and Tong out for Applegate and we've had musical chairs at the anchor desk ever since. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

I don’t think this will happen first off can you confirm About where you are hearing this info.Jim and kaity coming not gonna happen enjoy those YouTube vids of them.Kori just got best nyc anchor and pix11 morning news is nominated as ny’s best morning news.So comeback and reply when you get your facts straight and don’t be making fake news that is not confirmed.Oh and Barclays center studio hasn’t been seen since 2017.

Woahhhh......stong reaction. Easy, its just a discussion, just sharing ideas. 

I did not write, nor did I mean to imply that Jim and Kaity were coming back. I simply suggested that seeing them at 10pm again would be great. Might not be realistic but nothing terrible about stating that it would be cool if they'd return. The last thing I would want to do is spread misinformation. And since Jim and Kaity were removed we havent had an anchor pairing that lasted as long as them, which isnt't fake.

The saturated 5-7 pm part is also not fake either. Channels 2,4,7, and 5 all have newscasts at 5 and 6pm so it was a suggestion that PIX stick to mornings and 10pm. Moreover there were two attempts at a 6:30 newscast which havent lasted. 

Awards dont necessarily equate to viewers or actual quality, there have been complaints in the thread about WPIX, there is even a how to fix WPIX idea thread which means  that despite awards there is some desire for change at the station amongst viewers.

As for the Barclays set, it was just a suggestion that they could go back to the idea, and build off of it. 

I like channell 11 news, and there is nothing wrong with sharing a desire for some tweaks at the station. 

Yes accuracy is important. Spreading "fake news" was not the intention of the post. We get passionate about this common subject of intrest but we can share ideas or unpopular opinions. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dabx said:

The Tribune Media website has announced that Stacy-Ann Gooden will be joining PIX11 News as a weekend Meteorologist on the evening newscasts.

Is she on freelance or permanent?  What does this mean for Joe Cioffi, and the other freelancers?  The only person I know that's permanent is Craig Allen.