WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

WPIX got new weather graphics this morning, somewhat. I almost think they look worse. The only thing I really like is the new overlapping feature and the interactivity of it. See it in action here:

http://pix11.com/weather/forecast/

Much better mastheads. The problem is now that the weather graphics clashes - there's 3 active designs going on here, the new mastheads, the KTLA-styled mastheads and the 2007-something backgrounds from the Giant Octopus firm.

WPIX got new weather graphics this morning, somewhat. I almost think they look worse. The only thing I really like is the new overlapping feature and the interactivity of it. See it in action here:

http://pix11.com/weather/forecast/

And all I can think of while watching that video is how shocking it is that they've allowed Mr. G. to stick around.

• 2 weeks later...

They're doing an 8pm newscast tonight cause of the Jets game.. I think it's a great idea.. Wonder if it's a test or something?

Kinda interesting...I think they ended early if I am correct...seems like they went off the air at 8:11..I think it was mainly a recap of the day's top stories and Scott with more analysis on the Jets game. I don't think it was a full-blown newscast. They are also going to be on after the game tonight, but that probably won't happen until really late. Kinda surprised they did a newscast instead of a special edition of "Sports Desk" that they usually put on before the Jet games....

EDIT: They actually came on at 11:27. Jets game ended early.

Kaitlin Monte did traffic at 5:00pm today, wonder if she's going to be on the 5:00 pm permanently now. Not sure if they would throw her on in the evenings just for one night (the weather wasn't that bad today, it was worse last Wednesday), and they had Greg Mocker doing traffic that day. Well if they threw a traffic reporter on the 5pm permanently that would really give them an advantage over the other networks that doesn't do traffic at 5pm. Also, lots of other cities have traffic reports during their evening shows, so I think at least one station should have traffic reports (I know EWN first @4 does a short traffic update at 4:14pm).

Noticed tonight that Chris Knowles was on as a reporter - did a story on the Garner case. Is this his new assignment or his he also Wx as I see Joe Cioffi in for Craig Allen tonight.

He did weather a few days ago in the morning when Linda was off. I think they like to give Chris the AM fill-in spot since he has more of the personality for it, and Joe Cioffi the weekend fill-in spot since he has a bit of a stiffer personality. Since Linda doesn't take off all that often, they've been giving Chris a general assignment reporting spot to kinda keep him busy. I think he does more reporting during the weekends than during the week. But he'll still do weather when needed.

What they did tonight made no sense to me.. At 5 John Muller was in studio solo with Mr.G, as Tamsen and Scott were at the Barclays Center for the game and the royals.. Honestly they didn't both need to be there.. Then John was solo at 10:00 again. Saying Tamsen is off.. They should've given him a co anchor. It's an hour long show.. Needs two people

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question, but is PIX fully moving to this new Brooklyn studio and leaving the old one? I believe they are still keeping their current studio as their main bureau and studio, right? Just a little confused.

Correct. All newscasts will continue to air from their current studios. When something special is going on at Barclays, like a basketball game, they have a small studio there to report from rather than broadcast from the street. My guess is this will be used for some sports events with Scott reporting from Brooklyn but I have a feeling it won't be used too often.

In my opinion, rather than build this, they should be investing money to build a new main studio. It just does not look like a professional studio.

Correct. All newscasts will continue to air from their current studios. When something special is going on at Barclays, like a basketball game, they have a small studio there to report from rather than broadcast from the street. My guess is this will be used for some sports events with Scott reporting from Brooklyn but I have a feeling it won't be used too often.

In my opinion, rather than build this, they should be investing money to build a new main studio. It just does not look like a professional studio.

Totally agree; at least get rid of those awful pastel colors, and replace it with a darker, more interesting background or something. It looks like something that belongs on an entertainment show.

What they did tonight made no sense to me.. At 5 John Muller was in studio solo with Mr.G, as Tamsen and Scott were at the Barclays Center for the game and the royals.. Honestly they didn't both need to be there.. Then John was solo at 10:00 again. Saying Tamsen is off.. They should've given him a co anchor. It's an hour long show.. Needs two people

Agree on that standpoint too, but it seems that no one was really available. I believe Monday is Kaity's night off, so I don't think she was available to fill in. And Narmeen Chodhury and Kristina Behr, the two female anchors that were being "groomed" to be anchors were not available either; Narmeen still on maternity leave and Kristina busy with the Better Show. There are a few other reports they probably could of chose from, but there probably weren't enough to chose from. I think Ayanna Harry should be given a shot at the anchor desk, I think she'd be a good backup....I also think Magee Hickey is another possible choice...But still they should've had even Kirsten Cole or someone come in and be a second anchor. But she was probably busy as well...Also Tamsen was on the morning show discussing pictures that were taken of the royals at the Barclays, so that's why she was off at 10pm.

This seems very similar to when they would have Kaity do a part of the 10pm news from a restaurant (or something else) that had a good view of the city skyline.

Sounds like a gimmicky thing. I see no need for it.

I know it's no the exact same thing but remember when WLNY had their Long Island studio after being taken over by WCBS? It lasted a few months and was only used for one segment everyday.

• 2 weeks later...