WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

A big part of it is still the on air talent.... A lot (if not all) TV shows work or don't work because of who is on the screen...I still think they don't have a solid team in place YET (mostly in the morning)...while the evenings with Tamsen and Scott hasn't quite molded together yet...Also I don't know how anyone else feels but a big part of why GDNY is pretty much #1 or at least neck in neck with Today and GMA is because of the chemistry between Greg and Rosanna while it seems to me like Kori and Suki appear to be stiff together...While PIX shouldn't copy wnyw and make it onto the soup every week, they need to get buzz around their show but with better content, anchor teams, a better set and without dumb, cheap and desperate gimmicks. As someone earlier said, they have to decide whether or not to be PIX news or PIX entertainment news.

At this point it's going to be very difficult to beat Good Day NY.. When Suki was with John Muller it was actually a little possible. Now not even close. There aren't too many teams that will beat or even compare to Greg and Rosanna. PIX has less competition at night and with the right advertising and content at 10 anyway there's a chance they could beat FOX5. In my opinion Dan and Marysol should be the main team in the morning. Suki could do some entertainment show maybe with Tamsen? And put kaity on with Scott. And if they don't wanna do that I think Marysol could do the nights with Scott.

New reports have Scott moving to just sports anchor and John Muller returning to anchor the 5&10 on June 23.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2014/06/02/breaking-john-muller-returns-to-wpix-scott-stanford-dropped-as-anchor/

Did they come to think, maybe it's not Scott that is the problem?

This would not be bad news AT ALL. I like Scott, but John and Tamsen have a anchoring relationship going back several years, not some required "instant chemistry" created by plopping Scott into the anchor chair and hoping for the best. However, that's not to say that the current pair AS A PAIR is an issue, but John does have the serious chops to literally anchor a broadcast if Tamsen isn't equipped for any given occasion.

New reports have Scott moving to just sports anchor and John Muller returning to anchor the 5&10 on June 23.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2014/06/02/breaking-john-muller-returns-to-wpix-scott-stanford-dropped-as-anchor/

Did they come to think, maybe it's not Scott that is the problem?

I hope this is true. John Muller is better suited for a broadcast like this than what he's doing now.

Wow this is WONDERFUL news. I was just thinking about how sad i was when John muller left. Now how about bringing back Kaity to weekdays or even bringing back Jackie hyland? Scott is a sports anchor not a news anchor. He'll serve as a great fill in though like wabc does with rob powers. Next step- get a new set and fix the morning teams (drop suki)!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott filling in as main news anchor from time to time. He currently anchors now, and at WNBC there were days where we would handle sports duties for Bruce Beck on the 6 & 11 pm shows, but then anchor the 7 pm newscast. It's also not uncommon for sports anchors/reporters to transition into a news role. Some examples inclue:

Rob Powers - WABC (main sports anchor); also fills in from time to time on the anchor desk.

Eric Johnson - KOMO was primary sports director for a number of years before transitioning to 5 pm co-anchor, now is primary 5, 6 & 11 pm news anchor.

Larry Beil - KGO co-anchors the 4 pm newscast, then handles sports for the 6 & 11 pm shows.

Fred Roggin - KNBC primary sports anchor; on somewhat rare occasions has filled in as news anchor.

Congrats to John; I'm very happy for him.

I really enjoyed him during his stint on World News Now, and will love to watch him on PIX during the 5 and 10 when he rejoins the station. I have enjoyed Scott as anchor (yes) and will wish him well as just sports anchor. By the way, has this happen before? A main/sports anchor transitioning to just sports?

Because I've seen the opposite happen.

Oh and the station's website looks different.

Congrats to John; I'm very happy for him.

I really enjoyed him during his stint on World News Now, and will love to watch him on PIX during the 5 and 10 when he rejoins the station. I have enjoyed Scott as anchor (yes) and will wish him well as just sports anchor. By the way, has this happen before? A main/sports anchor transitioning to just sports?

Because I've seen the opposite happen.

Oh and the station's website looks different.

Yes it's happened before. I can't remember what station it was but a former sports anchor turned news anchor is/has returned back to his old station as sports anchor.

All tribune websites are being updated. There's a topic over on the general forum.

The next move for Scott will be to return to WNBC as lead sports anchor when Bruce Beck eventually goes to

NBC Sports full time (and it will be a shame to see Bruce eventually go but he's a supreme talent.)

Why would Scott go back to WNBC? PIX needs him much more desperately than WNBC does. Besides, WNBC has John Chandler and Harry Cicma to work with. PIX has no one besides Scott, unless Andy Adler moves to nights which I don't see happening.

Why would Scott go back to WNBC? PIX needs him much more desperately than WNBC does. Besides, WNBC has John Chandler and Harry Cicma to work with. PIX has no one besides Scott, unless Andy Adler moves to nights which I don't see happening.

Because doing sports on WNBC is much higher profile than doing sports on WPIX......

Chandler and Cicma are okay but I guarantee if the opportunity arose, WNBC would bring back Scott.

I don't even think Harry Cicma even does sports anymore I think he just does general reporting.

Harry is John Chandlers fill in and also does general assignment reporting...And I don't see Bruce Beck leaving wnbc any time soon...Also does it look like they are getting a new set anytime in the near future?...

Harry is John Chandlers fill in and also does general assignment reporting...And I don't see Bruce Beck leaving wnbc any time soon...Also does it look like they are getting a new set anytime in the near future?...

I'm sure they'll get a new set sometime, but not in the "foreseeable" future. I think PIX or WNYW will be the next to get a new set. PIX will probabally be first. According to the article back in September, they should be done already, but based on what we've seen, that's not happening. And there's no confirmed report of WNYW getting a new set either, but they just need one.

I would like to make some comments and suggestion on improving WPIX news telecasts. I want point out that I am not in the broadcasting business, but I do follow it as a hobby.

The first thing they should do is make each broadcast more distinctive, visually and have anchors who fit genre of that broadcast (informal, light in the morning, stolid in the evening)

The current set is fine for the morning newscast but it needs to be dressed up a little (too many blank walls, no interesting artifacts in the background - use logos, plants to dress up the area)

A more professional anchor set should be built for the evening (no walking around, anchor desk that fits four and all news come from the desk (like the old Watkins/Tong setup) Again, the broadcasting should be low key, no bs chats between the anchors. Like in the old days, separate the hard news from the fluff (get a entertainment reporter for that - that could be gossip or movie reviews). Never mix the two within the broadcast, have segments.

Second, my thoughts on some of the current personel:

Scott Stanford - I like Scott a lot, but he was miscast as a evening anchor. One of his strong points, which was subdued as a evening anchor was his quick wit. Again I enjoy watching him

Suki - Here is another free spirt that is being confined as an anchor - could be doing other things.

Chris Knowles - I know he is a fill in, but he does comes up with some funny lines. Good Weatherman

With that being said - indulge me with an idea for a new program:

To complete against GDNY team of Scotto/ Kelly, how about a new Stanford/Suki/Knowels free form light news/gossip/comment hour. In my opinion Suki can be just as entertaining as Scotto and Stanford will outdo Kelly - I think it could be a fun hour - who knows what those three will say at any given time - in fact I bet it also make syndication.

I was watching the Morning News this morning,

Around 7h15, All the hosts are on their knees, doing exercices with a Barack Obama look-alike. I changed the channel.

Do we really need to see the hosts exercising on a news show?

I know they are trying to be light and fluffy, but at 7h15, shouldn't they be doing the news? Keep the working out stuff for 8h45.

I was watching the Morning News this morning,

Around 7h15, All the hosts are on their knees, doing exercices with a Barack Obama look-alike. I changed the channel.

Do we really need to see the hosts exercising on a news show?

I know they are trying to be light and fluffy, but at 7h15, shouldn't they be doing the news? Keep the working out stuff for 8h45.

It's the morning news, with lifestyle segments just like every other station with one. The hosts must do things like this.

Just clarifying...This is just Suki talking and saying "thank you" to Dan and Marysol right? I hope they aren't leaving! After all, reports said that Dan is leaving, could this mean that the team is being dissolved all together? I don't really interpret this like they're leaving, I just wanted to clarify and make sure. Jump to 10:06 in this video by jaynorris117.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSOQqPcv6I&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

Just clarifying...This is just Suki talking and saying "thank you" to Dan and Marysol right? I hope they aren't leaving! After all, reports said that Dan is leaving, could this mean that the team is being dissolved all together? I don't really interpret this like they're leaving, I just wanted to clarify and make sure. Jump to 10:06 in this video by jaynorris117.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSOQqPcv6I&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

From watching the video it seems like Dan and Marysol were tossing to Suki & Kori for the 6 am show; meanwhile Marysol was saying goodbye nice knowing you probably because he won the design contest thing and probably thinks he wants to leave to be a designer or whatever idk that's how i'm understanding it.