WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

Well talk about trying to get ratings :

http://tunedinnyc.com/2014/04/18/wpix-going-the-contest-route-to-elicit-morning-ratings/

WPIX is so desperate for morning ratings and to lure away viewers from WNYW, that they are gonna foot 1 year's worth of mortgage or rent for 4 viewers.

A. That will never work.

B. That is simply embarrassing for a news organization.

Okay, I just had to throw this out there. Here's a clip of Mr. G trying to do 'something' to Kaity Tong while in the middle of the broadcast! Video Credit: Jaynorris117

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEXV3TcCFg

Here's him with Jodi Applegate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ayqTs6eo

And here he is with Tamsen Fadal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FLLbakoNp4

That's called a schtick, nothing horribly creepy although he does stand a few inches to close and it looks awkward. But he is doing this stuff to elicit reactions from the anchors and be a clown, that pretty obvious. If it was a problem it wouldn't be happening or he would be standing there with a guy or alone.

Boy, social media as well as Tamsen Fadal's twitter page is full of viewers saying that they saw her texting on air. Jerry Barmash from Tuned In even posted a pic to prove it. Not that I thought this wouldn't happen. I remember during the old format, after the first break, they showed Tamsen walking away from the green screen texting away.

Here's the video, skip to 0:12. (credit to Mike Audsley)

And here's the pic from yesterday's 10pm news of her tweeting: http://t.co/japHPZJymv

Boy, social media as well as Tamsen Fadal's twitter page is full of viewers saying that they saw her texting on air. Jerry Barmash from Tuned In even posted a pic to prove it. Not that I thought this wouldn't happen. I remember during the old format, after the first break, they showed Tamsen walking away from the green screen texting away.

Here's the video, skip to 0:12. (credit to Mike Audsley)

And here's the pic from yesterday's 10pm news of her tweeting: http://t.co/japHPZJymv

Many broadcasters text and tweet during commercials of broadcasts as of late. Lots of people do that.

You probably didn't notice the music and the fade to black, but they were going to a break.

And the the video took place a year ago too.

You really must not like Tamsen Fadal.

Oh and by the way. The station has new graphics now. May the snarking begin...

I applaud their efforts. Anything beats that one anchor format and Mendte ranting every night. I see improvement.

Ha! Well, look like you can applaud all you want but they are in the toilet. I will agree that they miscast Mendte. He shined when he anchored during Sandy and the Boston Bombings. They should have made him an anchor instead of those commentaries which sometimes seemed forced.

I just figured I'd check PIX 11 Jobs, and there's an open spot for an anchor/reporter and the date posted was April 11th of this year. It says in our "single anchor format". Was the description written a while ago? I'm just not sure what they're implying by that. I guess they're either looking for an anchor to replace Dan (if he ever leaves) or a new anchor to do the 11am and weekend morning newscasts (if that ever happens).

WHOA! Huge changes at WPIX, reported by Jerry Barmash's "Tuned In:"

-Julie Grauert out

-Lionel out

-Dr. Steve "chose not to renew his contract"

Glad Lionel is gone. Those are resources better used elsewhere.

In addition the evening news exec producer (an Effron ally) is out.

WHOA! Huge changes at WPIX, reported by Jerry Barmash's "Tuned In:"

-Julie Grauert out

-Lionel out

-Dr. Steve "chose not to renew his contract"

Wow...This is big news. With Lionel out, that is great, I find him very irritating to listen to. As for Julie Grauert and Dr. Steve, I liked them A LOT and it's a bad choice to get rid of them IMHO.

Ha! Well, look like you can applaud all you want but they are in the toilet. I will agree that they miscast Mendte. He shined when he anchored during Sandy and the Boston Bombings. They should have made him an anchor instead of those commentaries which sometimes seemed forced.

hey larry

They did a GMA style opening shot this morning to open the 7:00 hour (Suki,Kori,Linda and Andy on the 2 side chairs and Chris Knowles standing next to Linda) I liked it. I think Chris is a great part of the team they should keep him as traffic or in some form.

Scott Stanford tweeted that the PIX11 Sports Desk will debut tonight. But he says Andy Adler and Joe Mauceri will be joining him. I'm very confused and have no idea what they plan on doing. Are they making Joe a sports reporter? BTW, what happened to Dyrol Joyner? I haven't seen him and ages. They should make him a sports anchor. I wonder if this is a roundtable kind of thing, or if it's like a desk that has the 3 of them reading sports highlights. I'm interested to see what this is all about.

Scott Stanford tweeted that the PIX11 Sports Desk will debut tonight. But he says Andy Adler and Joe Mauceri will be joining him. I'm very confused and have no idea what they plan on doing. Are they making Joe a sports reporter? BTW, what happened to Dyrol Joyner? I haven't seen him and ages. They should make him a sports anchor. I wonder if this is a roundtable kind of thing, or if it's like a desk that has the 3 of them reading sports highlights. I'm interested to see what this is all about.

Joe was at the Barclays Center at 5 maybe he's getting reaction after the game?

So the Sports Desk was just a 15 sports segment. Rather stupid. It was weird because Tamsen signed off at 10:41pm they also used a Sports Desk open twice.

Rather than making it seem like 2 separate programs, they should have just said, now here's Scott with sports (for 15 min).

So the Sports Desk was just a 15 sports segment. Rather stupid. It was weird because Tamsen signed off at 10:41pm they also used a Sports Desk open twice.

Rather than making it seem like 2 separate programs, they should have just said, now here's Scott with sports (for 15 min).

I agree. Instead of signing off at 10:40 they should do the sports desk then at the end of that segment have Tamsen back and sign off. It's different. Not too bad. But when nothing is really going on in sports idk what they're gonna do.

I agree with everything everybody here said. The segment needs to be fine tuned. If they're going to end the news and do just sports, have news for 30 minutes, and have the half hour dedicated to sports if they really want to. I recommend just having 10 minutes of sports, then going back to Tamsen to do another story, and then blah blah blah, and sign off with the two of them together. Maybe make the sports desk inserted into the news at 10:30, and then end it at 10:45 with more news after? Just a suggestion. At least I'm happy that they're making Scott feel more at home, doing the sports. That is what he is meant to do, sports, not news. He's not horrible as an anchor, but he's a great sports director.

I agree. Instead of signing off at 10:40 they should do the sports desk then at the end of that segment have Tamsen back and sign off. It's different. Not too bad. But when nothing is really going on in sports idk what they're gonna do.

To me, that makes no sense. They just signed off for the news and then took it to the Sports Desk. It's separate from the news. It needs it's own end and sign-off. Seems more traditional than what you did.