WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Where does Ira Joe Fisher fit into the equation? Was he not on weekends?

Ira Joe was hired in July 1983, but did not start until August 15, 1983 as part of Eyewitness News Extra at 4:30 pm. By August 1985, Ira Joe was upset with the fact that Storm Field was the main "banana' at Channel 7 and Cincinnati offered him a daytime talk show. So on August 20, Bill Fyffe confirmed they would release Ira Joe after September 6 to return to WKRC in Cincinnati. 

• Like 2

Here’s the list I have of WABC westhercaster. 1970s: Tex Antone. 1976: Storm Field. 1980: Storm Field and Joe Witte. 1981 to 1982: Storm Field and Voss. 1982 to 1988: Storm and Dr. Bill. 1988: Storm and Sam. 1989:  Storm, Sam and Bill And Art. 1990: Sam, Bill and Art. 1992: Sam and Bill. 1993-1996: Sam, Bill and Veronica. 1996-2004 Sam, Bill And Lee. 2004: Sam, Bill, Lee and Anderson. 2005-2006: Sam, Bill, Lee and Heidi. 2006-2011: Lee, Bill, Heidi and Jeff. 2011: Lee, Bill, Jeff and Amy. 2019: Lee, Sam, Jeff and Amy.

• Like 1

Tex and Storm were together for a few months in 1976. Storm Field joined Channel 7 officially at 11 PM on April 5, 1976. Tex's little faux pas was November 24.  Storm was here from April 5, 1976-November 4, 1990 despite the contract running through November 1. 

Also Ira Joe is MIA from that list. 

7 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Heidy Jones?

I am going to presume sarcasm. 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam
  • Like 1

So, Sam Champion has confirmed that he is only working a 4-day week. Good for him, though am I the only one noticing a palpable shift in energy during the show on Fridays? Also... I know that I am just being Mr. Jealous Boots, but can someone tell ol' Sam to at least wait until after morning broadcast hours before he starts posting Friday pics of himself lounging in a Miami pool on Instagram? It feels a little "eat it, you working suckers," to me. Again, I realize that envy is at play here for me. I mean, who wouldn't love a 4-day work week? But from a programming point of view, it also seems like a sharp left from the "yay team" vibe they're trying to promote on air. Never underestimate the power of social media perceptions.

Edited by LarryFlick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LarryFlick said:

So, Sam Champion has confirmed that he is only working a 4-day week. Good for him, though am I the only one noticing a palpable shift in energy during the show on Fridays? Also... I know that I am just being Mr. Jealous Boots, but can someone tell ol' Sam to at least wait until after morning broadcast hours before he starts posting Friday pics of himself lounging in a Miami pool on Instagram? It feels a little "eat it, you working suckers," to me. Again, I realize that envy is at play here for me. I mean, who wouldn't love a 4-day work week? But from a programming point of view, it also seems like a sharp left from the "yay team" vibe they're trying to promote on air. Never underestimate the power of social media perceptions.

I think what's more problematic than him having fun while the rest of his colleagues are working is that he's bragging to viewers that he doesn't stay in New York. Sure, he might be there four mornings a week, but it's not really his home anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I think what's more problematic than him having fun while the rest of his colleagues are working is that he's bragging to viewers that he doesn't stay in New York. Sure, he might be there four mornings a week, but it's not really his home anymore. 

Or to the majority of viewers too old to notice or care... well... they don’t notice or care as long as they know the weather... where he is on his days off is extremely inside baseball don’t you think?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Or to the majority of viewers too old to notice or care... well... they don’t notice or care as long as they know the weather... where he is on his days off is extremely inside baseball don’t you think?

At the end of the day. Sam is at the #1 station. Who knows how long he's gonna be there. All the viewers want is a good accurate weather forecast and good chemistry. So far this morning team has that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Forgive my snicker at this comment... after all, isn't this entire site "inside baseball"? I mean, I've seen pages of debate on fonts used on-screen! LOL!

As for the rest, you certainly make a fair point. But I respectfully disagree. As a broadcaster, myself, I can tell you first hand that older viewers/listeners are laser focused on their favorite programs, especially those they trust to provide information. They tend to be far more critical and cognizant of absences than younger audiences. They are most sensitive to imbalance and will complain the loudest... these are actual relationships for some people. They are also now more adept and plugged into social media than you might realize. 

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

At the end of the day. Sam is at the #1 station. Who knows how long he's gonna be there. All the viewers want is a good accurate weather forecast and good chemistry. So far this morning team has that.

I agree, but also disagree. Overall, this is a top team that doesn't need Sam (and trust me, I'm a BIG fan of his). But you might want to read the ongoing battlecry of viewers who are still asking for Bill Evans to return. Human attachment is what keeps these shows alive. It's all they have against the faster-feeding of digital content. If all they cared about was info, Bill Evans would have been forgotten in a few days. It's been six months and a LOT of viewers have not let go of his disappearance. And as terrific as Sam is (again, I'm a fan and prefer him to Bill), many would be happier to have Bill back. 

Edited by LarryFlick
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LarryFlick said:

Forgive my snicker at this comment... after all, isn't this entire site "inside baseball"? I mean, I've seen pages of debate on fonts used on-screen! LOL!

As for the rest, you certainly make a fair point. But I respectfully disagree. As a broadcaster, myself, I can tell you first hand that older viewers/listeners are laser focused on their favorite programs, especially those they trust to provide information. They tend to be far more critical and cognizant of absences than younger audiences. They are most sensitive to imbalance and will complain the loudest... these are actual relationships for some people. They are also now more adept and plugged into social media than you might realize. 

I agree, but also disagree. Overall, this is a top team that doesn't need Sam (and trust me, I'm a BIG fan of his). But you might want to read the ongoing battlecry of viewers who are still asking for Bill Evans to return. Human attachment is what keeps these shows alive. It's all they have against the faster-feeding of digital content. If all they cared about was info, Bill Evans would have been forgotten in a few days. It's been six months and a LOT of viewers have not let go of his disappearance. And as terrific as Sam is (again, I'm a fan and prefer him to Bill), many would be happier to have Bill back. 

We all gotta face it. Bill is not coming back. I also like you admire Bill. A true staple of New York TV. 25 years and most of it doing AM weather and PLJ. So him going back to his radio roots I understand. However, that drive out east to Midtown Manhattan is HELL, and we don't know what happen close-doors with management for him to up and leave. At the end of everything this is the best 4:30AM-7AM crew at the #1 station.  Something I would like to see in the near future maybe one of the early AM reporters in the anchors chair while Ken or Shirleen are out and not getting Michelle out of bed early AM!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

We all gotta face it. Bill is not coming back. I also like you admire Bill. A true staple of New York TV. 25 years and most of it doing AM weather and PLJ. So him going back to his radio roots I understand. However, that drive out east to Midtown Manhattan is HELL, and we don't know what happen close-doors with management for him to up and leave. At the end of everything this is the best 4:30AM-7AM crew at the #1 station.  Something I would like to see in the near future maybe one of the early AM reporters in the anchors chair while Ken or Shirleen are out and not getting Michelle out of bed early AM!

That last part is a fun idea... except I've seen Candace McCowan sub on the weekend anchor desk a couple times. Sadly, it wasn't great. And if you can't pop on screen with Rob Nelson (who can spark chemistry with an inanimate object), it's not going to happen with anyone. She is a terrific reporter, though. I would love to see Derek Waller on the desk, though...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LarryFlick said:

That last part is a fun idea... except I've seen Candace McCowan sub on the weekend anchor desk a couple times. Sadly, it wasn't great. And if you can't pop on screen with Rob Nelson (who can spark chemistry with an inanimate object), it's not going to happen with anyone. She is a terrific reporter, though. I would love to see Derek Waller on the desk, though...

Don't get me wrong.. Love Michelle, Rob, and Sandra as subs for Ken and Shirleen. However, like you I'd like to see Derek Waller in the chair. 

Candice- Excellent reporter.. OK in the anchors chair.. I believe the weekend show is also #1 (Hence Rob-Michelle-Amy) Jeff-sub in.

PS: I wonder how Dray Clark is doing at WCAU.

10 hours ago, LarryFlick said:

So you are suggesting somebody might say “That rat bastard! Spending his Friday in Florida instead of on the morning news! I’m switching to GDNY!!!!!!!”?

Said person would have a rather tenuous connection to the program if that swayed them away from it... they might envy the idea of being in Florida but c’mon... and as to your point about lineups changing... if it happens every week then they’ll get used to that arrangement and go “oh.. no Sam... it must be Friday already” and that will be about all it’ll rate.... 

Edited by ns8401

How long do you all think Sam will last? Part of me thinks this might not be a long term project for him. I like Sam but sometimes I feel like going to the past is just not accepting that things change. Did WABC seek to have Spencer Christian rejoin when Sam left? I’m actually asking that question seriously.

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

So you are suggesting somebody might say “That rat bastard! Spending his Friday in Florida instead of on the morning news! I’m switching to GDNY!!!!!!!”?

Said person would have a rather tenuous connection to the program if that swayed them away from it... they might envy the idea of being in Florida but c’mon... and as to your point about lineups changing... if it happens every week then they’ll get used to that arrangement and go “oh.. no Sam... it must be Friday already” and that will be about all it’ll rate.... 

You say that, said person probably likely exists that is that pedantic. 

1 hour ago, nydem2015 said:

How long do you all think Sam will last? Part of me thinks this might not be a long term project for him. I like Sam but sometimes I feel like going to the past is just not accepting that things change. Did WABC seek to have Spencer Christian rejoin when Sam left? I’m actually asking that question seriously.

Why would Spencer Christian want to leave KGO, where he's been for 20 years, to join WABC again, a station he spent 9 years at and probably worked this weekend as a kind gesture? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

You say that, said person probably likely exists that is that pedantic. 

Why would Spencer Christian want to leave KGO, where he's been for 20 years, to join WABC again, a station he spent 9 years at and probably worked this weekend as a kind gesture? 

So you lose one or two and keep thousands... those are numbers anybody can live with...

A good part of the "Sam Demo" also spends weekends in Miami, Bahamas, Hamptons etc...

Frolicking in the surf...and hitting the clubs at night.

(don't make me dig out more speedo pics)

Certainly NOT unusual behavior of a New Yorker by any means.

I'm sure plenty of Sam's regular viewers say to themselves...

" I wonder if we will see Sam this weekend at..."

...TWIST, Back Door Miami, Azucar NightClub, Jamboree Lounge, Palace Bar, SheLife Events, Club Boi, The Hub at the LGBT Visitor Center, Beach Betty's Bar, J's Bar ....

...and any one of those clubs would love to be able to claim Sam as a "regular" because that brings in more guest...and that "Sam Demo" has plenty of disposable income to party with.

WABC and Sam would be total fools NOT to exploit that in some fashion as there are plenty of New Yorkers in SoFla most the year.

Edited by Eat News
Party Monster Trailer .. https://youtu.be/qV7MND4r0mY

Interesting anchor line up today:

Noon: Rob Nelson and Lauren Glassberg

4pm: David and Lauren 

5pm: Lauren and Sade 

6pm: David 

11pm: (assuming) David and Sade

I KNOW Shirleen is off the noon until after the baby.. Bill and Liz are off.. but I’m just sayin it’s interesting to see the diff line up today 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

Interesting anchor line up today:

Noon: Rob Nelson and Lauren Glassberg

4pm: David and Lauren 

5pm: Lauren and Sade 

6pm: David 

11pm: (assuming) David and Sade

I KNOW Shirleen is off the noon until after the baby.. Bill and Liz are off.. but I’m just sayin it’s interesting to see the diff line up today 

That is correct.. David and Sade was on Thursday night..

Tidbit:  Friday AM newscast: Ken > Shirleen > Jeff (in for Sam) > Alex Lee (in for Heather) on traffic.

5 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

That is correct.. David and Sade was on Thursday night..

Tidbit:  Friday AM newscast: Ken > Shirleen > Jeff (in for Sam) > Alex Lee (in for Heather) on traffic.

LOL.  It seems to me Liz gets a lot of time off vs. Sade.  IJS.

Today, Friday, Ken & Lauren @ Noon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

LOL.  It seems to me Liz gets a lot of time off vs. Sade.  IJS.

Today, Friday, Ken & Lauren @ Noon.

The accuracy of this post!........

So far no beef in the newsroom in regards to that.  Liz gets Bill status

However, when you are #1 in all categories there's always room for everyone to take a day off or 2.

Lauren getting time in the anchors chair. Very nice!

Edited by Spintech33