WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

And for all we know in the coming years Sam will end up back at GMA or Lee will and Sam will end up back on evenings. The morning weather anchor slot at WABC might open again before long. I’ll put it to you this way. It’s not likely that Sam will last 26 years on mornings like Bill. Just think WABC could have really screwed this one up and made Sam the weather-caster for the evening newscasts and offered Lee mornings and then ticked him off and got him to leave. 

Edited by Liu2019

3 hours ago, cg41386 said:

I’m sure Amy feels just fine, the weekend morning team has great chemistry, I’m sure Jeff is fine that he probably still has time to watch his young son grow.

It stinks to have to go to work when you have young kids going to school because you are off when the kids have to go to school, the kids are off from school S/S and you have to work those days.

Jeff and Amy are young and certainly at a certain point they'll both be able to get a gig with more desirable days off if they wish, not necessarily at Ch. 7 EWN.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liu2019 said:

And for all we know in the coming years Sam will end up back at GMA or Lee will and Sam will end up back on evenings. The morning weather anchor slot at WABC might open again before long. I’ll put it to you this way. It’s not likely that Sam will last 26 years on mornings like Bill. Just think WABC could have really screwed this one up and made Sam the weather-caster for the evening newscasts and offered Lee mornings and then ticked him off and got him to leave. 

Sam is pushing 60 and unless Ginger intends on leaving GMA in the next few years (which I don’t see happening) I highly doubt Sam will be going back to GMA permanently before he retires. 

• Like 4

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic

Dr. Bill Gutsch is a distinguished astronomer and astronomy professor at St. Peter's University. From 1982 to 1988, he was the weekend meteorologist and Storm Field's backup meteorologist. He also was a science editor for Channel 7 and worked for GMA and the old World News This Morning. He came to WABC from Channel 13 in Rochester. He was ultimately another victim of the Applegate regime that got rid of Roger Grimsby and let a whole host of others go or leave. 

His replacement was go figure, Sam Champion. 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam
  • Like 2

It's Fathers Day Weekend, may not be easy as it sounds. 

33 minutes ago, nydem2015 said:

I believe before Dr. Bill that Joe Witte did weekend weather on WABC. After Sam I think was Bill although I think there was a gap where there was no regular weekend weatherperson.

Joe Witte was brought in for a few months in 1980-1981....did not apparently go well. He was replaced by Valerie Voss, who had worked at CBS Morning News in 1980 for four months before being replaced by Gordon Barnes. Voss was fired in January 1982. Gutsch worked part time in July 1982 talking about lunar events. He was such a hit in July 1982 in the ratings that they signed him in September to take the spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Joe Witte was brought in for a few months in 1980-1981....did not apparently go well. He was replaced by Valerie Voss, who had worked at CBS Morning News in 1980 for four months before being replaced by Gordon Barnes. Voss was fired in January 1982. Gutsch worked part time in July 1982 talking about lunar events. He was such a hit in July 1982 in the ratings that they signed him in September to take the spot. 

Interesting that Joe Witte didn’t do well at WABC or apparently WCBS although at WNBC he lasted for over 15 years. I heard he’s very awkward. Valerie Voss didn’t go so well either. WABC has at least on three occasions not had a regular weekend weather person unless I’m mistaken. I believe this was the case in 1982 for a few months, from 1988 to 1989 as well as from 1992 to 1993.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Where does Ira Joe Fisher fit into the equation? Was he not on weekends?

I believe he was the 5pm weathercaster for a few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

They couldn’t ask Sam to remain in NY for the weekend to fill in or for Amy or Lee to fill in? Then again maybe Spencer has family in NY that he wanted to visit and it worked out well for all parties.

I wonder if Spencer was considered to replace Bill.