WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

More posts, more from YouTube. The only ones I can't find on YT are the Bill Evans piece and the 9/11 5 pm video.

As of early 2018, the station had no plans to note the anniversary. That was under the former leadership. I’m thinking once the new GM and ND were put in place, they decided they should do something. I am surprised most of it is just ripping videos of YouTube... I’m hoping there’s something original produced at some point. It would also be nice to see the “Celebrating 50 Years” logo montage air on TV - though I wonder if the original CHL music is a copyright/licensing issue. Note that the audio track to that video was noticeably absent on the station’s official Facebook and Twitter posts a sale opposed to the ND’s personal Instagram post which included audio and the VO.

Edited by wabceyewitness

Simple as this, as someone who has a Masters in History, and has been unemployed for 18 months, I would kill to be an archivist for them. However, this is just lazy, and unfortunately, it's not unheard of laziness.

There are things I'd kill to see: Beutel's last newscast and the WABC actual tributes (not the Jeffrey Jolton one they ripped off). Grimsby's last broadcast from 1986. So on and so forth.

The Dr. Jay Adlersberg one was aired during the 5 pm hour. I just screenshotted my online stream.

Thanks. Have other 50th Anniversary stories like that aired yet?

You'd think they would post that content on their abc7ny.com/eyewitnessnews50 website... but it continues to be videos ripped from YouTube.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

They just had a ~5 minute tribute video. I hope they post the full interviews, but we got in no particular order:

Al Primo, Roz Abrams, Geraldo Rivera, John Johnson, Doug Johnson, Sam Champion, Bill Ritter, NJ Burkett, Tim Fleischer, Diana Williams and Jim Dolan basically be the narration of the group. The voices of Roger Grimsby and Bill Beutel are the intro and the outro.

Also were various shots of the late Will Spens, Gloria Rojas, Milton Lewis

primo.thumb.png.f892288decd45ce343156fc16159ada4.png

1962850351_samchampion.thumb.png.60ff79f9ed2f163619cae3b709caf6e2.png

1224470726_rozabrmas.thumb.png.37655d7fbd2892b59d589c5b38c88fd0.png

geraldo.thumb.png.be9e7b7e62ee333865ea3b503d8b52e6.png

530961106_dougjohnosn.thumb.png.0ac046c84f45a68834d4827eeaa34bfd.png

1340830361_johnjohnson.thumb.png.e0f214f23f771e12b7f9df1b09660d7d.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 6

I saw the special 50th anniversary reporting they aired at the end of the 5pm — that was great! I wish/hope there’s an extended one that is published online with all the people they caught up with and with longer commentary. (So nice to see and hear from Roz!)

And the 6pm broadcast ended with Bill Beutel’s “Final Thought” segment that he filed a few days after 9/11. And they let the broadcast end — without the current anchors’ sign off — right after Bill Beutel’s signature line, “I’m Bill Beutel. Good luck and be well.” Classy.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I saw the special 50th anniversary reporting they aired at the end of the 5pm — that was great! I wish/hope there’s an extended one that is published online with all the people they caught up with and with longer commentary. (So nice to see and hear from Roz!)

And the 6pm broadcast ended with Bill Beutel’s “Final Thought” segment that he filed a few days after 9/11. And they let the broadcast end — without the current anchors’ sign off — right after Bill Beutel’s signature line, “I’m Bill Beutel. Good luck and be well.” Classy.

If anyone's looking for it, its on this page...

https://abc7ny.com/community-events/remembering-bill-beutel-(from-2006)/4675529/

WABC has Tweeted out links to the interviews.

[MEDIA=twitter]1063627181467860993[/MEDIA]

Aw, it was so amazing seeing this video! Glad they honored their past and honestly Bill Beutel will always be a legend and an icon for not only WABC but for many other organizations around the world. It was so awesome to see Roz again! Roz could've been sitting right there next to Diana today had she not left WABC for WCBS. But, a new era is about to begin for them when they eventually relocate to the Hudson Yards area? I forget where the other member had mentioned where they are moving to.

Best,

Vlad

Aw, it was so amazing seeing this video! Glad they honored their past and honestly Bill Beutel will always be a legend and an icon for not only WABC but for many other organizations around the world. It was so awesome to see Roz again! Roz could've been sitting right there next to Diana today had she not left WABC for WCBS. But, a new era is about to begin for them when they eventually relocate to the Hudson Yards area? I forget where the other member had mentioned where they are moving to.

Best,

Vlad

They're moving to the West Village, which is south of Hudson Yards. It won't be for several years, though.

• Like 1