WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Even if more talent leaves WABC — they won’t suffer. In the last 14 years, they’ve had three different 11pm coanchors, two different 6pm coanchors, 2 different 5pm coanchors, 3 different noon teams and 4 different morning teams. On top of that, a good number of long time reporters left while new, younger ones have joined the team and the weekend teams change every few years. They’ll survive a few more changes. That said, I do hope some behind the scenes changes occur as things don’t seem as great as they usually are at WABC.

• Like 2

Even if more talent leaves WABC — they won’t suffer. In the last 14 years, they’ve had three different 11pm coanchors, two different 6pm coanchors, 2 different 5pm coanchors, 3 different noon teams and 4 different morning teams. On top of that, a good number of long time reporters left while new, younger ones have joined the team and the weekend teams change every few years. They’ll survive a few more changes. That said, I do hope some behind the scenes changes occur as things don’t seem as great as they usually are at WABC.

That's the thing. 14 years ago we didn't have the social media platforms that we have now, the importance of public's perception and the tide is turning regarding sexual harassment accusations. If Laura's complaint gets picked up by the Daily News or any other newspaper, it will definitely force the hand of Rebecca Campbell to do something about Dave Davis and Camille Edwards. The viewers perception of having a pervert as General Manager and a racist News Director will make that happen. That or advertisers pulling ad dollars from ABC 7.

• Like 5

That's the thing. 14 years ago we didn't have the social media platforms that we have now, the importance of public's perception and the tide is turning regarding sexual harassment accusations. If Laura's complaint gets picked up by the Daily News or any other newspaper, it will definitely force the hand of Rebecca Campbell to do something about Dave Davis and Camille Edwards. The viewers perception of having a pervert as General Manager and a racist News Director will make that happen. That or advertisers pulling ad dollars from ABC 7.

It is on page 6 of the ny post

Did someone take Campbell's job since they shipped her to London?

• Like 2

Catching up on the board after a couple weeks away, I'm heartened to read that I'm the only one doesn't think that Michelle Charlesworth was robbed of that weekday morning job. I'm curious to know, however, what the reviews are for Shirleen in the spot? I'm a fan of her work, overall, but I kind of found her a bit cold at first in this spot. She seems to be working HARD to lighten up and fit in. For me, it's working about half the time. I do think that Shirleen has far better chemistry with David Navarro than Ken Rosato, who also seems to be working hard to build chemistry.

Meanwhile, I can't help but notice how really well Lori Stokes is doing in her new gig. If I'm being honest, THAT is the kind of job I would love to see Michelle in someday. She would truly excel in an interview show setting.

• Like 2

Well well well. (Not surprised one bit though) What are the chances an anchor who deserved it most but didn't get the weekday morning show is next?

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/11/24/another-discrimination-suit-filed-against-ny-news-director

AND THIS (read if you have any downtime.. it says alot. Especially the section about Lori Stokes)

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/11/24/and-here-is-the-lawsuit-against-wabc-and-their-news-director

If I'm being honest, I have never been the biggest fan of Laura Benkhe. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but her style just doesn't work for me. All of that said, it's seems likely that she has been treated unfairly. It also seems like the powers that be tried to throw her a bone by giving her more air time during the week with remote reports... but that's all it is... a bone. A small one, at that.

If I'm being honest, I have never been the biggest fan of Laura Benkhe. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but her style just doesn't work for me. All of that said, it's seems likely that she has been treated unfairly. It also seems like the powers that be tried to throw her a bone by giving her more air time during the week with remote reports... but that's all it is... a bone. A small one, at that.

More like a cracker

With regards to the Michelle and the weekday morning slot, maybe she was the better choice, but did anyone think that just maybe the decision was more than just who has better chemistry with Ken? Perhaps it was a cost-reducing decision? If Michelle would've gotten it then Toni or someone else would've moved into Michelle's weekend slot, resulting in a huge pay increase for that person, as they were adding anchor duties to their role. Under the current scenario, no new anchors were added.

• Like 1

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/11/26/taking-it-to-the-top

Here's somewhat of an update. I think it's really sad to be completely honest. It's horrible to have to go to work and have everyone be miserable because of the top. Hoping that this just gets cleared up and no one else has to suffer. Like I said if the top isn't taken down there are ones who will leave. Those behind the scenes who aren't making much could probably jump ship to pretty much anywhere. If they wanted too both Bill Evans and Diana Williams could walk away pretty. I mention them because they are the next ones likely to leave within 5-10 years anyway. Bill Evans is in his late 50s now and has kids almost through college (I think) and is newly remarried. Diana is probably weighing her options with all that's happened in her personal life recently. We just wait and watch now I guess.

• Like 2

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/11/26/taking-it-to-the-top

Here's somewhat of an update. I think it's really sad to be completely honest. It's horrible to have to go to work and have everyone be miserable because of the top. Hoping that this just gets cleared up and no one else has to suffer. Like I said if the top isn't taken down there are ones who will leave. Those behind the scenes who aren't making much could probably jump ship to pretty much anywhere. If they wanted too both Bill Evans and Diana Williams could walk away pretty. I mention them because they are the next ones likely to leave within 5-10 years anyway. Bill Evans is in his late 50s now and has kids almost through college (I think) and is newly remarried. Diana is probably weighing her options with all that's happened in her personal life recently. We just wait and watch now I guess.

I was about to post that. It is unfortunate that the WABC staffers are confirming that working under Camille is like working in hell. Retaliation, bullying and abuse? That's really messed up. I think this is a breaking point for WABC and we will see if Sherwood does something.

Ben Sherwood has nothing to do with it. ABC News does not oversee or control WABC. The station is a division of the Disney Owned Station Group. ABC News is a completely different entity. They both answer to the same corporate executives in California who will have to sort the whole thing out.

• Like 1

Ben Sherwood has nothing to do with it. ABC News does not oversee or control WABC. The station is a division of the Disney Owned Station Group. ABC News is a completely different entity. They both answer to the same corporate executives in California who will have to sort the whole thing out.

Well what are they to do since abc o&o president has been transferred to europe and now we see the proper channels are useless

Well what are they to do since abc o&o president has been transferred to europe and now we see the proper channels are useless

Sherwood is President of Disney-ABC so he does actually directly oversee the O&Os now-- he hasn't been ABC News President in a while.

• Like 3

Did anyone else see Michelle Charlesworth's Instagram live broadcast yesterday? Amid the usual quips about the story she was covering and random small talk was a pretty strong declaration about the "really big ratings" her broadcast on the weekend gets. She went on to talk about how the weekend team (her, Rob Nelson, Amy Freeze, and their one writer and producers) is small, tight, focused, and super happy, seemingly implying that they function in a way that is unique from the other broadcasts.

Yes, this micro analysis, and maybe even over-reading into comments that are innocuous. But this seems oddly timed and hard to ignore, given all that appears to be going on over at the station.

Thoughts?

Sherwood is President of Disney-ABC so he does actually directly oversee the O&Os now-- he hasn't been ABC News President in a while.

Oh ok lets see what happens

I have to agree about Sherwood, and he be on twitter wishing all the on-air talent happy birthdays at the ABC O/O, so he's very much involved at the house of mouse.

I have to agree about Sherwood, and he be on twitter wishing all the on-air talent happy birthdays at the ABC O/O, so he's very much involved at the house of mouse.

Let's wait and see if he will continue wishing happy birthdays and cleaning the WABC house.

Honestly they just need to find a way to relieve Camille Edwards of her duties if she's not treating the employees fairly, and these allegations are true. Nobody should be "afraid of going to work" because of a tyrant boss. People need to be in the right state of mind and at ease and should not be "on edge" when working, its not fair and it really affects the quality of work being put out there. Instilling "fear" in the work place is very unhealthy. Especially in this day and age where we live in a society that is more open than before. If she hired Ryan Field over Laura because of her looks then that is just terrible.

Obviously we all don't work there so we can't vouch for them, but what we can all vouch for is expectation of fair and equal treatment for all employees regardless of the workplace and environment we are in. If these allegations are true then its not fair. Thats very appalling to hear especially from the top station in the nation in terms of viewers.

As for Laura Benhke I honestly did not like her as well either, I think Ryan Field was a better fit for the position, only because Laura Benkhe just doesn't have the chemistry that Ryan has. But it is not fair to be denied a position because of race, gender, and etc which goes against so many laws. They can be honest and say that she wasn't the "right fit", but don't say that its because she is blonde, she's not fit to deliver sports, totally unfair.. I mean, lets face it there are better sportscasters out there, for example, Robin Roberts, she was a legend at ESPN before GMA.

Who is above dave davis? Cause i would can camille,

Camille's events that made station look bad

Firing Sarah wallace and possibly tampering in a case? (Someone explain it correctly please thats how i remember it)

Death of lisa colagrossi

Rumored suspension of jim dolan

2 discrimination complaints

And a driver of low employee morale and alienation of viewer base

Haven't seen anything about a suspension of Jim Dolan. Was this reported somewhere?

• Like 4