WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

usually there is a press release and annoucements on ftvlive and tvspy etc but nothing at all .... we found out on social media

Here's his official welcome from the station:

http://abc7ny.com/sports/7-things-to-know-about-new-sports-anchor-ryan-field/1574454/

Here's a Facebook Live they did after the 6pm:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.9040-29/10000000_1185517028189168_2146735503351742464_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6NDA5NiwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzZCJ9&rl=1500&vabr=532&oh=62a83e747d8c293c9b7d744d1800ff69&oe=581188B5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

T'is the season for Andy Field to get some on-camera time. Good to see this veteran on screen again. It's even better to see him looking well. He looked sick last year.

Btw... I'm mildly bummed that we're not getting our annual Bill Ritter all-day broadcast this Christmas. He is such a warm presence on such days. That said, the dude certainly deserves to sleep in!

I predict that they will expand the brand to include Nina Pineda's reports. It's hard to ignore the title-fusing of the two segments.

Bingo. Merge the two, and boom- you're back to having two investigative reporters, without having to hire anybody.

• Like 1

Bingo. Merge the two, and boom- you're back to having two investigative reporters, without having to hire anybody.

It's a sneaky cost-cutting measure, but it could also broaden Pineda's scope to include harder investigative stories. Then again, I could be overly optimistic. It's more likely a move to make consumer pieces seem more in-depth than they are.

A more likely scenario is that research shows the strong NBC owned stations' investigative campaign is resonating with viewers. This is way of trying to get back the consumer investigative foothold they once had.

Plausible. But NBC's I-Team has five reporters. EWN has two if you count Nina. If WABC really wanted to double down on investigative reporting, I suspect they would do more than make a name change. We'll see if they actually follow through on the Investigative Reporter job posting and hire someone else.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, we were asking if anyone left WABC, with the Candice McCowan sighting. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Mallory Hoff is no longer with the station, but I noticed today, Carolina Leid's bio is gone from the website. Her contract must have expired at the end of the year, because the Twitter account has none post 2016.

• Like 6

Diana Williams was subbing for Bill Ritter on Up Close.

Not sure when WABC officially announced Bill as the new host?

Late 2015 / early 2016, they removed Diana's name from the opening and Bill stopped saying he was subbing for her. This was after she had reduced her work schedule to take care of her family. They never officially announced him as the host, and his name wasn't added to the open, but he is the host. Oddly, many of the program guides and WABC's own website still list it is "UpClose with Diana Williams".

So, we were asking if anyone left WABC, with the Candice McCowan sighting. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Mallory Hoff is no longer with the station, but I noticed today, Carolina Leid's bio is gone from the website. Her contract must have expired at the end of the year, because the Twitter account has none post 2016.

If it's true, I'm sad to see Carolina gone. She's a strong reporter.

Any idea what happened to Bill Ritter? He's been out a while it seems like. I would normally say it's for a vacation however it's usual for an anchorperson to be on vacation right after a new president takes office.

He nearly cracked his head open falling on some ice. He's been down with a concussion for a few weeks, but should be back pretty quick.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wabc-anchor-coming-back-from-concussion/184763