WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

What is going on there lately?! First today at 5 at the end of her report about smart phones tracking you Nina Pineda was in the studio with a selfie stick promoting her Facebook live.. Then when they went back to the desk where Diana and Sade had their phones out "checking their settings" Now at 11 Josh Einiger did a report from his desk in the newsroom (where the mic failed) reminding me of what WNBC did with the content center. I hope they aren't changing to be more "modern" what they have is why they're number one and shouldn't change because I can garuntee they'll loose. 2 things I wish they would change however is to get new backdrops at the anchor desk.. And to put a desk back in the newsroom like they used to have instead of infront of the screen.. There's just something about that I don't like

What is going on there lately?! First today at 5 at the end of her report about smart phones tracking you Nina Pineda was in the studio with a selfie stick promoting her Facebook live.. Then when they went back to the desk where Diana and Sade had their phones out "checking their settings" Now at 11 Josh Einiger did a report from his desk in the newsroom (where the mic failed) reminding me of what WNBC did with the content center. I hope they aren't changing to be more "modern" what they have is why they're number one and shouldn't change because I can garuntee they'll loose. 2 things I wish they would change however is to get new backdrops at the anchor desk.. And to put a desk back in the newsroom like they used to have instead of infront of the screen.. There's just something about that I don't like

I think it's safe to say they have the morning and midday newscasts down, but at 5, 6 & 11 WCBS is catching up. WABC already lost at 11 in February and in the same period was close to losing at 5 as well. The 6pm news on WCBS also experienced large gains. With WNBC's shake up with the 4pm newscast, Ch. 7 should watch out.

If I'm gauging this correctly, WABC is going through a similar, top-down transition not unlike what WLS experienced over the last few years. First, the youth-pandering content selection. Second, the visual makeover. The notable talent changes should be up next (and no, I'm not counting whatever went down with Sarah Wallace).

The situation in Chicago called for some changes. A graphics package going on 9 years, a set closing in on a decade, a presentation style largely unchanged from the '80s, and a talent pool of 9 well-paid weeknight veterans ranging from 50 to 70 were all showing wear. Despite these decades of stability and reliability, ratings were slipping. Changes were many and divisive. New graphics, music, branding, and set all debuted in a 2-year span. One newscast was cancelled and another launched. Three of the aging desk-minders are starting to cut back and retire, including the lead anchor's departure at the end of this month. Both a midday anchor and the #2 meteorologist were let go, and a new, inexperienced meteorologist was hired, soon to be chief. About a half dozen reporters have come aboard, one of which was promoted to morning anchor, and another is destined for a similar fate. The ratings hemorrhage has mostly stopped, but ratings for the late newscast are down 20% since 2013, and a new competitor and rejuvenated rival have only eaten away at that lead. That said, every other newscast has retained or even extended their leads, and experimentation seems to have passed. WLS still isn't as strong as it was in its prime, but the product has returned to being more predictable and stable.

WABC really hasn't had the issues to necessitate major change, so there's really no excuse for these self-induced blunders.

• Like 1

does it also prove my theory that they are sanatizing Bill evans when i was a young boy i remembered him doing alot of crazy stuff on air(various stuff such as skydiving swimming with the sharks and beinging the lion tamer and going out to when disney on ice comes to town and the list goes on and on) and he doesn't do that anymore?

• Like 1

does it also prove my theory that they are sanatizing Bill evans when i was a young boy i remembered him doing alot of crazy stuff on air(various stuff such as skydiving swimming with the sharks and beinging the lion tamer and going out to when disney on ice comes to town and the list goes on and on) and he doesn't do that anymore?

It's called...

"Getting Old"

• Like 4

Was anyone watching this morning? I saw a few posts on Facebook about something Rob Nelson said that was in appropriate? Just wondering what it was.

Based on posts I've seen, I think it was a comment a guest made (one of the chef guests) about her making something at 13 years old "completely stoned." Nelson and Charlesworth commented that everyone was caught off guard by that comment.

Here's the video:

http://abc7ny.com/video/

Well its official Rob Powers is heading back home to Cleveland:

http://www.newsnet5.com/about-us/newschannel-5-welcomes-anchor-rob-powers-back-home-to-cleveland

Wonder who will replace? Likely Laura Behnke but I'm just not sure if she's the BEST pick.. I think they should go through all possible options

Their 3rd string has been Anthony Johnson. I mean, explore all options, but I think AJ would be a great candidate for the job. Especially if it means one of the new people (CeFaan or Mallory) get a chance to maybe see the jobs in the future.

Time to re-shoot all those new talent opens and promos!

Seriously, though, congrats to Rob! Seems like a great personal and professional move. Doing what you love, in your hometown and close to family. Can't get any better. That said, he'll be missed on Eyewitnsss News!

• Like 1

Yeah he was a good Successor to Scott Clark who I also believe left Ohio for New York so I guess Rob wasn't following suit haha. Good for him though! :) Wish him the best. Yep they gotta do all those intros again lol. Maybe when they redo the intros with the new talent it they'll add a New York themed Backdrop to it so it doesn't look as unfinished lol. But best of luck to Rob what a good person he is.

Rob is a pro, he will certainly be missed. He will be a great news anchor.

Wonder who will replace? Likely Laura Behnke but I'm just not sure if she's the BEST pick.. I think they should go through all possible options

History usually dictates that this is Laura's job to lose. It would be a slap in the face for her not to get it. She seems to fit in just fine with Bill, Liz, Sade, and Lee when Rob was off, so I don't see why WABC would have any issues with promoting her to the job.

Yeah he was a good Successor to Scott Clark who I also believe left Ohio for New York so I guess Rob wasn't following suit haha. Good for him though! :) Wish him the best. Yep they gotta do all those intros again lol. Maybe when they redo the intros with the new talent it they'll add a New York themed Backdrop to it so it doesn't look as unfinished lol. But best of luck to Rob what a good person he is.

He did, from WKYC, where Lisa Colagrossi also worked. Tappy Phillips left the station Powers is going to, WEWS. WEWS also had John Hambrick back in the day.

Some wabc news

Liz Cho pled gulity in her traffic case and was fined $75

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/wabc-liz-cho-pleads-guilty-driving-suspended-license-article-1.2641494

and some good news

Bill Ritter will graduate from The New School 44 years after he was kicked out of San Diego State for protesting the war

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wabc-anchor-getting-degree-44-years-after-being-booted-from-sdsu/170630

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Does Michelle Charlesworth have tourettes or something? Wherever I watch her in the morning she's always randomly yelping or doing some kind of annoyingly-loud yell. I love her chemistry with Rob but oh my god, she distorts her mic with how loud she gets. And for no actual reason, either

For the first time in a long time I'm hone at this time on a Saturday night and I have to say I think having news from 5:00-6:30 is overkill. The 5:00 is mostly repeated stories from newscasts during the week. Anyone else feel they could do without?

• Like 1

Does Michelle Charlesworth... she distorts her mic with how loud she gets. And for no actual reason, either

It's not her. I find in general the audio of the anchors and reporters in studio is has an overall loud and bassy sound and sounds even worse if they do talk louder.

For the first time in a long time I'm hone at this time on a Saturday night and I have to say I think having news from 5:00-6:30 is overkill. The 5:00 is mostly repeated stories from newscasts during the week. Anyone else feel they could do without?

I've caught it a few times. Overkill if you're watching the full 90 minutes plus the weekday newscasts. That said, there's certainly an audience for it and it's cheaper to produce than buying outside programming.

Maybe a sign of things to come, the 3D weather graphics seen on KTRK and a few other ABC O&O's seems to have come to WABC.

[MEDIA=instagram]BIVv6BNhk1t[/MEDIA]

Yeah I saw that on TV.. I really really really hope this was just a one time thing. They look stupid.. Once in a while for something like this it's ok.. But otherwise NO

Maybe a sign of things to come, the 3D weather graphics seen on KTRK and a few other ABC O&O's seems to have come to WABC.

[MEDIA=instagram]BIVv6BNhk1t[/MEDIA]

Apps, drones, weather graphics, whatever, station groups usually invest for everybody, not just one. It's why almost all of the ABC-owned 7 day forecasts like similar.