WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

People? I think one person said it, not people. And why you getting so excited? A3N said he doesn't see that happening and I agreed. No need to throw a temper tantrum.

Not throwing a temper tantrum but it gets so fucking irritating when people here throw down any ideas or suggestions I have its like your not part of our clique so we could care less what you think and what I posted about Shirleen was what I think will happen not what is actually going to happen.

Not throwing a temper tantrum but it gets so fucking irritating when people here throw down any ideas or suggestions I have its like your not part of our clique so we could care less what you think and what I posted about Shirleen was what I think will happen not what is actually going to happen.

If you are saying whatever and cursing you are throwing a temper tantrum. You are getting offended because others don't agree with you. There's nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion (as far out there as that opinion may be which is often the case with anchor shuffling with you). If there are cliques here, I haven't noticed nor am I a part of one.

If you are saying whatever and cursing you are throwing a temper tantrum. You are getting offended because others don't agree with you. There's nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion (as far out there as that opinion may be which is often the case with anchor shuffling with you). If there are cliques here, I haven't noticed nor am I a part of one.

I think what pisses me off the most is people throwing down any opinions or ideas I have all the while being so sure of theirs. I respect everyone's opinions here but people also need to respect mine.

• Like 2

I think what pisses me off the most is people throwing down any opinions or ideas I have all the while being so sure of theirs. I respect everyone's opinions here but people also need to respect mine.

I don't think anyone was trying to sound disrespectful. It sounds like you are equating not agreeing with you to disrespecting you. I apologize if that's what you're feeling, but definitely not the intention.

I just don't find what you're saying to have a real chance in happening. Just like when you mentioned WNBC hiring some random reporter out west to be thier main anchor. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

I don't think anyone was trying to sound disrespectful. It sounds like you are equating not agreeing with you to disrespecting you. I apologize if that's what you're feeling, but definitely not the intention.

I just don't find what you're saying to have a real chance in happening. Just like when you mentioned WNBC hiring some random reporter out west to be thier main anchor. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

It's okay and I agree and people please take what I say here with a grain of salt I have no insider info just posting ideas that's all.

• Like 1

Trust me - they didn't bring Shirleen in just to anchor the noon news. Camille has much bigger plans for her - she was her "baby" at WPVI - and Camille brought her along to WABC.

Shirleen will have 2 hours at the desk by the end of the year.

I agree. Maybe not about Shirleen having 2 hours at the end of the year, but that for sure Camille has larger plans or Shirleen. Let's also not forget that Camille will shove minority hires down your throat until you gag.

I honestly don't think anyone will leave but certain roles will be swapped.

Shirleen: promoted from noon co-anchor/early evening reporter to 5 & 11 pm co-anchor.

Sade: bumped off 5 & 11 pm to noon co-anchor/early evening reporter

Diana & Liz: same roles as they are now.

I don't see how they can justify moving Sade off the 11pm unless they have another rough sweeps. Sade is young and a minority, just like Shirleen. Ideally, Camille wants a minority to fill both spots on any given newscast.

The higher ups had been grooming Sade up all these years until she eventually took over the 11pm. She has name recognition, Shirleen does not-yet. If they're struggling at 11pm, it isn't because of Sade, it's because of ABC Primetime. Removing a recognizable face for someone who hasn't been in the market as long will blow up in their face big time.

What ever plans Camille has for Shirleen is unknown at this point. Although, I wouldn't put too much stock into Camille right now, with the way things are going at Ch.7. The Lisa Colagrassi situation and sliding ratings are going come back to bite her...

The higher ups had been grooming Sade up all these years until she eventually took over the 11pm. She has name recognition, Shirleen does not-yet. If they're struggling at 11pm, it isn't because of Sade, it's because of ABC Primetime. Removing a recognizable face for someone who hasn't been in the market as long will blow up in their face big time.

What ever plans Camille has for Shirleen is unknown at this point. Although, I wouldn't put too much stock into Camille right now, with the way things are going at Ch.7. The Lisa Colagrassi situation and sliding ratings are going come back to bite her...

I agree. Right now the 11pm suffered a minor slide in ratings and were thrown off their perch. It shouldn't be viewed as a huge deal--maybe a one off. However, if ratings slide even further, I bet Camille would be out before any major talent is pushed out.

Hate to correct you, but did you mean the Sarah Wallace situation??

Hate to correct you, but did you mean the Sarah Wallace situation??

I think the reference was to the assertion allegedly made by Lisa's mom that Camille overworked Lisa. But, yes, add the Sarah Wallace situation to the mix, too.

My problem with Shirleen is that, to me, she still feels young and inexperienced, especially when placed in comparison to heavy hitters like Ritter, Williams, and Stokes.

• Like 1

I like Sade however I do prefer the Bill/Liz team at 11.. Anyway I don't think Sade will be affected IF there is any changes.. I think it's more likely Diana and Shirleen will swap roles or if Diana retires in the next few years Shirleen will either get the 6 with Liz and Bill will move to 5 or Shirleen will just get the 5.. HOWEVER, if anyone is forced out or demoted there will likely be serious backlash from both viewers and station staff

Maybe it was shortsighted, but I wonder if Shirleen was hired due to the recent "issues" with the weekday female bench and the possibility that someone could've abruptly left. In the last 6-9 months Diana was out tending to both her husband and son, and I'd imagine her full return was in doubt...I know it was here. Lori also spent noticeable time away when her father was ill, and while her long-time employment was never really questioned, her and Ken wanting to move off the noon show added to the instability. Finally, lest we forget, there was the question (if only for a brief time) if Liz could be leaving to follow Josh as he looked for a new job.

Now the station is loaded with 8 weekday anchors. While that seems like a lot, and someone could eventually be cut, it still only puts them in-line with sisters WLS, WPVI, and KTRK, and they're still smaller than those 3 when counting Monday through Friday weather and sports staff. Heck, within New York, 7 weekday anchors is about average at the lesser operations, so 8 isn't crazy at the #1 outlet.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed before that Lori Stokes has first choice in any evening slot that might become available. If Shirleen is moving anywhere, it will be to fill Lori's slot in the morning.

How do you know this to be fact? Was this disclosed somewhere by her, her agent of station management?

Usually discussions about

pecking orders are speculation only.

If this info is being

"leaked" you must consider the motivation of such leaks.

I really don't see Shirleen getting the 11pm yet. Maybe in a few years but not yet. And I also don't see Diana retiring soon, I think she has another 7-10 years before she decides to leave.

----

Fun thought, what if WABC is planning to add another newscast, maybe at 7pm.

Noon: David & Shirleen

4: Liz & David

5: Diana & Shirleen

6: Bill & Liz

7: Rob & Sade

11: Bill & Sade

While completely hypothetical, this would give Shirleen an expanded role, it would give Rob an anchoring position that could set him up to eventually replace Bill and it would give the 7pm newscast a big name anchor like they did at 4pm with Liz. And in this scenario, Lori and Shirleen could be swapped depending on what Lori's contract says, etc... Just a fun thought but one that could actually work.

And I get pretty irritated when people think adding curse words adds to their argument. Sorry but completely unnecessary.

I honestly don't think anyone will leave but certain roles will be swapped.

Shirleen: promoted from noon co-anchor/early evening reporter to 5 & 11 pm co-anchor.

Sade: bumped off 5 & 11 pm to noon co-anchor/early evening reporter

Diana & Liz: same roles as they are now.

If they were going to just completely dump Sade from the 5 & 11 (doubtful), I think Lori is the only current WABC anchor that would be able to make such a transition successful. Shirleen is way too new at WABC to already take on the 11pm based on what we've seen WABC do in the past.

If this was WNBC, WCBS or any other station it would be possible but a big reason WABC has been #1 is because they have anchors that people know and trust and they don't make anchor changes often and I don't see that changing now.

• Like 1

Just one problem... The J!-WOF hour.

That's all.

I don't know if there are any potential partners left in the New York market, but the 4 (formerly 5) ABC stations with newscasts on independent stations have set a precedent within the station group.

Just one problem... The J!-WOF hour.

That's all.

And this right here is just one example of why I am getting sick of this website. Everyone here is out to get everyone else in the most condescending ways.

Newsflash to everyone on this site, if we all just treated each other with a little more respect and took ourselves a little less seriously (because 99% of the people on this site are not insiders anyway), maybe this site would be a kinder and more welcoming place rather than a hateful and negative environment.

I guess since everyone is behind a computer, common decency doesn't exist. I digress.

And this right here is just one example of why I am getting sick of this website. Everyone here is out to get everyone else in the most condescending ways.

Newsflash to everyone on this site, if we all just treated each other with a little more respect and took ourselves a little less seriously (because 99% of the people on this site are not insiders anyway), maybe this site would be a kinder and more welcoming place rather than a hateful and negative environment.

I guess since everyone is behind a computer, common decency doesn't exist. I digress.

I wasn't trying to be mean. It's just that with the J!-WOF hour at 7:00pm, it makes WABC impossible to have a 7:00pm newscast of its own. And I don't know if Laff or LWN will allow WABC to air additional local newscasts on their digital subchannels.

Agreed that jeopardy/wheel will prevent WABC from ever having a 7pm newscast.

Agreed that Sade isn't going anywhere soon.

Agreed that Shirleen was hired just to do what she's doing - anchor the noon news, report and fill in when necessary on other weekday shows. Just as she is this morning for Lori Stokes and as she has done previously for Diana, Liz and Sade.

• Like 5

New opens coming for Eyewitness News?

[MEDIA=twitter]709851837244035072[/MEDIA]

Michelle Charlesworth also posted something. Based on all the light fixtures in this small room, I wonder if this batch will not be taped in the studio, though they could be there for makeup. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

[MEDIA=twitter]709871279717883905[/MEDIA]