WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I find it interesting the Shirleen is filling in for Lori now. That pushes Michelle Charlesworth out of the way, I wonder how she feels about all of this.

Losing Michele would be a big loss for WABC.

Why is it automatically assumed that all reporters want to be weekday anchors? Could it be possible that Michelle - like the three dozen other reporters at the station - actually enjoys being out in the field reporting and is content with just anchoring the weekends as long it allows her time to report? Not everyone goes into broadcasting to be tied down to an anchor desk.

I have a question.. Lately many stations esp. 2&7 have been using sports anchors and even meteorologists ((Elise Finch) to anchor.. I understand Rob Powers cause it's not to much diff from sports.. But why not have reporters anchor or give them a chance atleast? I just find it strange. I know it's common but still..

Even bearing in mind that it is summer and a popular vacation time, I can't remember ever seeing Lauren Glassberg anchor this much on the weekday shows.

She's anchored quite a few times.. I remember when Ken was out sick she was the main fill in.. There's a lot of anchors on vacation.. I think bill and Liz are the only regular evening people this week

I forgot to post this when I first saw it....Oh the good old days.....

WABC-TV LAYS OFF 36; 59 MORE CUTS EXPECTED Published: April 12, 1986

Correction Appended

In the latest round of continuing staff cutbacks at Capital Cities/ABC, 36 employees were laid off yesterday by WABC-TV, the network-owned station in New York. At least 95 positions will be eliminated by the end of the year, station officials said.

No on-air reporters were among those released by the station, but several news writers and producers were laid off, according to a station official who asked not to be identified.

Bill Fyffe, vice president and general manager of WABC-TV, said that the staff reductions were based on a ''detailed study of the station's operations and procedures.''

WABC-TV employs about 400 people. Of the 95 positions to be eliminated, 21 are jobs currently open that will not be filled, 38 are engineers and desk assistants who will be transferred to vacation relief duty and 36 are staff members who were laid off.

The layoffs affected at least three other Capital Cities/ABC stations -all of them stations that belonged to ABC rather than to Capital Cities before the merger of the two companies was completed this year.

At KABC-TV in Los Angeles, as many as 80 positions were expected to be eliminated. John Sevarino, the station president, would not comment.

At Chicago's ABC station, WGN, 36 employees were laid off yesterday and 36 positions are expected to be eliminated by the end of the year. Cutbacks were also announced at KGO, the ABC television station in San Francisco.

Correction: April 15, 1986, Tuesday, Late City Final Edition

Correction Appended

In the latest round of continuing staff cutbacks at Capital Cities/ABC, 36 employees were laid off yesterday by WABC-TV, the network-owned station in New York. At least 95 positions will be eliminated by the end of the year, station officials said.

No on-air reporters were among those released by the station, but several news writers and producers were laid off, according to a station official who asked not to be identified.

Bill Fyffe, vice president and general manager of WABC-TV, said that the staff reductions were based on a ''detailed study of the station's operations and procedures.''

WABC-TV employs about 400 people. Of the 95 positions to be eliminated, 21 are jobs currently open that will not be filled, 38 are engineers and desk assistants who will be transferred to vacation relief duty and 36 are staff members who were laid off.

The layoffs affected at least three other Capital Cities/ABC stations -all of them stations that belonged to ABC rather than to Capital Cities before the merger of the two companies was completed this year.

At KABC-TV in Los Angeles, as many as 80 positions were expected to be eliminated. John Sevarino, the station president, would not comment.

At Chicago's ABC station, WLS, 36 employees were laid off yesterday and 36 positions are expected to be eliminated by the end of the year. Cutbacks were also announced at KGO, the ABC television station in San Francisco.

Another correction.

Correction Appended

At Chicago's ABC station, WGN, 36 employees were laid off yesterday and 36 positions are expected to be eliminated by the end of the year. Cutbacks were also announced at KGO, the ABC television station in San Francisco.

WGN? Whoops...

Such a tough year for Diana Williams. First her husband undergoing stem cell transplant and now sad news that her son is laying unconscious in a hospital after being involved in a very serious accident on the way to his Air Force base. You can read more on her Facebook page. What an incredibly tough time for her and her family. She is such a wonderful person who've I've been lucky enough to meet several times. Keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Is Lori on evenings again this week or is she back on the normal shift? [/quote

I would say normal shift as Sade, Liz & Bill were on their normal schedules. Joe Torres filled in for Diana on the 5 pm Monday and yesterday not sure if he will be there again today.

I would say normal shift as Sade, Liz & Bill were on their normal schedules. Joe Torres filled in for Diana on the 5 pm Monday and yesterday not sure if he will be there again today.

She's off this week. Michelle is in for the AM shift.