WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Unclear if this weekend promo is for TV or just social media, but it's nice: http://vimeo.com/wabccreative/review/116061808/8f200ecf77

They filmed those a few weeks ago. The weekend morning promos usually air Friday and Saturday nights during Eyewitness News at 11pm. Good promo, it has just the right theme for weekend mornings.

I looked back a ways, and it appears that this little Facebook news brief by Eyewitness News debuted today. Only 39 seconds long, this quick update (visually branded as ABC7 To Go, with no verbal mention) features a very flat & simplistic, yet familiar & attractive graphical look, not unlike the above promo. Whether or not it turns into a full package for the main newscasts, I highly doubt it.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152678976134091&permPage=1

I looked back a ways, and it appears that this little Facebook news brief by Eyewitness News debuted today. Only 39 seconds long, this quick update (visually branded as ABC7 To Go, with no verbal mention) features a very flat & simplistic, yet familiar & attractive graphical look, not unlike the above promo. Whether or not it turns into a full package for the main newscasts, I highly doubt it.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152678976134091&permPage=1

I'm starting to see more of these graphics. They were used in a recent tease for the 11pm show. These graphics look really good, I wouldn't mind them turning into a package. They call this Eyewitness News Quickcast, just like WNT Facecast.

I was trying to figure out why the quick cast graphics look familiar... and then it hit me... They are basically just a bigger version of the PIX11 graphics package... flat, boring L3 bar with a line at the end and the info bar above the L3. This particular graphic mini package looks way too basic and huge to be an on-air package, but the general direction of the new promos and the quick cast is intuitive and tasteful renditions of the flat-UI look. Wouldn't be surprised to see new on-air graphics this year ... this August will be 4 years with the package.

Well doesn't this "new" feature look familiar (especially if you watch a channel just a little further down the dial). Just another classic example of stations constantly copying after eachother.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152665884034091&set=vb.31160214090&type=3&theater

And what station would that be?

I was going to say the ones we were looking at on WABC look a lot like KABC's graphics.

And what station would that be?

I actually wasn't referring to 11, I was referring to 2, with WCBS' new "weather watchers" thing that they promote like crazy, that allows viewers to post their weather data from their location, as well as pictures. Now I'm not saying that you can do so from their weather app (I don't know to be honest), I was just saying that the whole "Eyewitness Weather Watchers" sounds awfully similar to "CBS 2 Weather Watchers", and that seems like that is where they got their idea from.

I actually wasn't referring to 11, I was referring to 2, with WCBS' new "weather watchers" thing that they promote like crazy, that allows viewers to post their weather data from their location, as well as pictures. Now I'm not saying that you can do so from their weather app (I don't know to be honest), I was just saying that the whole "Eyewitness Weather Watchers" sounds awfully similar to "CBS 2 Weather Watchers", and that seems like that is where they got their idea from.

CBS 2 Weather Watchers lets you post pictures. EWN is literally letting you post weather data and pictures. It's not copying at all.

Ehhh... I misread your down the dial comment. I doubt they are copying that closely. Station groups are rolling these out in general across their stations in some cases so It's not like 2 had a lock on the concept. The name might be a jab at 2 but nothing more.

Ehhh... I misread your down the dial comment. I doubt they are copying that closely. Station groups are rolling these out in general across their stations in some cases so It's not like 2 had a lock on the concept. The name might be a jab at 2 but nothing more.

Its funny, even if WABC (or ABC O&Os) copy another channel, they will always do it better.

We always say they are neglected by Disney... but they still get plenty of support to make a better product in some cases.

I would say they're more ignored than neglected. So long as they don't lose/waste money, Disney gives them a lot of leeway.

I know someone's gonna jump at me for this but anyone know what's up with Ken Rosato? Is he ok? It seems for a while now like every other week he's off the entire week or only works a few days.. Not sure if he has time to use or if something's wrong.

Also Lauren Glassberg is off a few weeks. What happened?

WLS is now on board, but they're opting for their regular, more-flashy-than-flat graphics for the 'SocialCast'.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153101891666162&permPage=1

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic