WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Just Wow! I can't believe this. Guess who's coming to Channel 7 soon?

From Frank Macek's Blog posted last week (8/14):

Finally, our congratulations to WKYC multimedia journalist A.J. Ross who is leaving us to join WABC-TV in New York City. Ross joined the Channel 3 News team in April 2013 after leaving her hometown station of WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh and the New Pittsburgh Courier newspaper where she was also a freelance reporter.

Wow! What a difference six years make. She was one of the first personalities when WMBF launched six years ago (and it was her first on-air gig at that). As I've seen here reporting style and delivery on WKYC, she's good enough that she could be in one of the bigger markets, hell, even one of the networks. IMO, she's like Linsey Davis-good. But I never thought she would end up at the #1 station in the largest market in the country. And she hasn't even been at WKYC 16 months? I feel that ABC made a tremendous decision picking her.

Follow-up.

A.J. made her Channel 7 debut yesterday, on it's 5:30pm show.

Very clear that new promos are coming based on posts and pictures shared by various EWN anchors on social media over the past few days.

Here's a video teaser NJ Burkett posted of one of the scenes:

Don't they always have new promos? Just saying...

• 3 weeks later...

New promo: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152485952419091

I think it's a little cheesy, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

I have to say, probably one of the most well-put together promos from any news channel (cable, network, local) that I have seen in a long time. The music: perfect. The camera angles: on point. And the premise is also genius. This is a MUCH better promo than the "come get it bae" one that First at Four did a month or so ago

Over the past several weeks a number of anchors and reporters have indicated on social media that the newsroom is about to undergo a six-month renovation. Several posted pictures of them cleaning out their offices. Some suggested that they're "losing" their offices. Not clear if they mean they won't be able to access their offices while the renovation is underway, or if WABC is getting rid of anchor offices and moving them all to cubicles with the reporters.

Here's a picture Liz Cho posted of the temporary digs: https://www.facebook.com/billritter.wabc/posts/10152884433019047

They won't have access to offices while the renovations happen because the offices and the enitre space is being gutted and redone. It's a long overdue and much need renovation for a newsroom that's had the same basic look and layout since, at least, the early 1990s.

According to another post by Cho, the offices are being eliminated completely.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205437515643884&set=a.10204233119454732.1073741825.1429967221&type=1

This has to be one of the best video montages I have ever seen. WABC put it together shortly after Hurricane Sandy and shared it again today on the anniversary of Sandy's landfall. It highlights beautifully the power and storytelling of the Eyewitness News enterprise and its people.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152498518504091

This has to be one of the best video montages I have ever seen. WABC put it together shortly after Hurricane Sandy and shared it again today on the anniversary of Sandy's landfall. It highlights beautifully the power and storytelling of the Eyewitness News enterprise and its people.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152498518504091

Considering that I lost power for 15 days after Sandy, this video really made me aware of what happened after Sandy as far as coverage on WABC was concerned. And I agree, it's put together beautifully. 2 years ago today was one of the weirdest days I ever experienced, that's for sure.

Not to burst any bubbles, but WABC actually put that video together last year for the 1st anniversary.

Wasn't sure if it was in the weeks following or on the one-year anniversary. Thanks for clarifying.

Either way, I don't think when they compiled it takes away from how well-done it is.

Was this from during the marathon coverage, or was it a news segment? Either way, the font choice (and general style, to a lesser extent) looks a lot like WTVD's lower thirds.

They've been using it for the news segments all weekend.. I THINK they used ESPN2 feed for most of the marathon itself

I know I've said this before but I'll say it again. I think they not only need new graphics or atleast an update.. But new background images for the set. The images they had when they first debuted the set were much nicer. I think a live image might be kind of distracting (depending on what they use).. But new still images definetly.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic