WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

26 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Just found this article from Pagesix, saying Mike Marza is the likely candidate to replace Ken, but would not put much stock into this: https://pagesix.com/2023/05/23/mike-marza-poised-to-replace-fired-anchor-ken-rosato-at-wabc-7/ 

Either way I do think this will resolve with putting Mike in some weekday slot. Jim Rosenfield would be great in any timeslot. I could see Jim doing one or a few of the evening slots also if they wanted to put David Navarro onto mornings? 

Moving David to mornings was actually the original plan - team him with Shirleen - AM and noon, Bill and Liz at 4 and 6 and Mike and Sade at 5 and 11 - but that has since been passed on. Bill not too keen to give up 11 permanently until after the 2024 election cycle.

however, talk as of late has Mike moving to 5pm in the interim. After 2024, Bill staying on at 6pm

only. 

• Like 2

Rosenfield joining WABC, if it occurs, would also make him a rare three-peat, working for all 3 major stations of NYC (WABC, WNBC and WCBS). Ira Joe Fisher has done it. John Johnson has done it. I feel like there's probably someone I'm forgetting. 

• Like 2

I’d be surprised if they pick up Jim Rosenfield.  Maybe it was just a courtesy like when they tested Don Dahler with Lori Stokes before promoting Ken.

They have enough talent to fill the weekday spots and will need someone for weekend mornings. That doesn’t seem like a spot for Jim. 

… and Mike Marza as Bill’s successor? That should be David Novarro. 

Edited by wabceyewitness

While it would be cool I feel like it would be over the top and almost unnecessary to add Jim to the anchor line up. They have a strong enough line up as it is. Could a possibility be David to mornings, Jim at 5 and then Mike noon and 4 until it’s time for Bill? 

Jim would be a great fit at WABC. I would say a station with a weaker talent lineup like Fox 5 could use a veteran talent like Jim, but I think he would be a better fit at a big three station.

Edited by MediaZone4K

Jim Rosenfield being considered is something I did not expect but he would be a great hire. I'm used to seeing him as an afternoon/evening anchor so it would be interesting to see him doing mornings. However, as this station just let a newly hired reporter go before he could even appear on air due to apparent budget issues, I'm not sure that they have the money available to hire someone with Jim's experience. (Unless they feel that this would be more of a necessary "power move" to fill in their anchor slots compared to a new reporter.)

Rosenfield first came to New York joining CBS 2 as noon and 6:00 co-anchor. I remember the promos hyping his arrival and being disappointed that he seemed very stiff. Then he left for NBC 4, and eventually came back to CBS 2 and seemed much more comfortable.

While we're thinking of former CBS 2 anchors, my mind also considered Don Dahler, who was an ABC News correspondent before essentially filling Jim's role at 2. I wonder if he is also under consideration at all. (Not to turn into too much speculation here.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Jim Rosenfield being considered is something I did not expect but he would be a great hire. I'm used to seeing him as an afternoon/evening anchor so it would be interesting to see him doing mornings. However, as this station just let a newly hired reporter go before he could even appear on air due to apparent budget issues, I'm not sure that they have the money available to hire someone with Jim's experience. (Unless they feel that this would be more of a necessary "power move" to fill in their anchor slots compared to a new reporter.)

Although that's what Paul Gerke posted on his social media, people don't get hired and then let go a day before their start date due to budgetary issues.  Sure, it's theoretically plausible, especially if he was hired as a per diem or freelancer, but I suspect there's more there, e.g. an unresolved dispute between parties or a red flag in his personnel file that was discovered last minute.

• Like 1

I think Mike Marza would be a better fit overall over Jim Rosenfield, (Jim is late in his career) and also Mark is probably a bit cheaper to hire too than Jim considering that Mike is much younger. And honestly not to say that Jim is not fit for the job he certainly is and it would be an awesome classy addition to the already stellar WABC talent, but Mike might have that factor since he's a bit on the younger side and could resonate well with the online streaming and younger millennials generation, but thats my opinion. :) Guess we'll have to see how it all plays out.

In other news, WABC has also finally updated their App today to match the new O&O App look. Looks like we are inching closer and closer to the new on-air appearance. Are there any updates on that front? We are closing in on almost 7 years with the current on air-look. (WABC unveiled their current look back in September 2016). The Giant Octopus look from (2012-2016) in my opinion was their best ever look.

Best,

Vlad

Edited by Vlad

10 minutes ago, Vlad said:

In other news, WABC has also finally updated their App today to match the new O&O App look. Looks like we are inching closer and closer to the new on-air appearance. Are there any updates on that front? 

Funny you should ask...

5 hours ago, mountainave said:

Although that's what Paul Gerke posted on his social media, people don't get hired and then let go a day before their start date due to budgetary issues.  Sure, it's theoretically plausible, especially if he was hired as a per diem or freelancer, but I suspect there's more there, e.g. an unresolved dispute between parties or a red flag in his personnel file that was discovered last minute.

I agree with you on not definitely taking what he said at face value, but I have heard some instances recently where people who were about to start a job were suddenly told it was no longer happening. Someone I know was given a start date a few months in advance, only for all the incoming hires to be told their project was canceled due to economic reasons. I believe at least one of the big tech companies also let go a group of incoming hires a earlier this year amid all those tech layoffs. So it is possible and Disney has been undergoing cuts.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 2:01 AM, MisterBill said:

And he's gone before he even started. He did not originally have the reason in the post, so it's good (I guess) to know that it wasn't specifically because of him. BTW, he's the fiancé of Katie Corrado from WPIX.

And just like that, I’m back to being a full-time dog dad.

I was just informed that I’ve been let go from WABC on the eve of my debut due to budget constraints.

Paul Gerke (@paulgerketv) | Instagram

As I’ve said previously, “budget constraints” was not the real reason here.  

Just days later, WABC posted a new position for a general assignment reporter. 

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/new-york/wabc-general-assignment-reporter/391/50243402752

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

She's done it a handful of times. At times Bill Ritter anchored the 11PM solo as well. The 11PM broadcast is a very 'solo-able' show considering its about a half an hour long like the 6:00pm show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

She's done it a handful of times. At times Bill Ritter anchored the 11PM solo as well. The 11PM broadcast is a very 'solo-able' show considering its about a half an hour long like the 6:00pm show.

Hmm I can’t dispute that but I’ve never seen it which promoted me to ask here a few months ago and it was mentioned that she doesn’t like being solo. 

Bill will often anchor solo but most nights when Bill can’t be in place for 11pm despite being there for 5 and 6, they’ve brought in David or Mark. Just a curious observation.

2 hours ago, Nynewslover2 said:

Is there a particular reason why an anchor wouldn’t want to anchor solo? Just a question that popped into my head. 

A lot of continuous reading I would assume. Maybe even prefering the vibe and energy of having an on air partner. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Liz Cho never did 11 pm alone? Bill and Sade are out, she did 4pm with David, 5pm with Mike and 6pm alone. It's complicated for Mike to do a double shift, as he did mornings with Shirleen today. (something I realized always happens on Fridays)

ABCNY0.ts_snapshot_00_04_56_598.thumb.jpg.b20010d8401ef6dc81ab55bfb06cff63.jpgABCNY01.ts_snapshot_00_02_19_826.thumb.jpg.8ce368f7b47b1ca113915ad155d035a7.jpgABCNY01.ts_snapshot_17_12_995.thumb.jpg.9f7a8e1f761f85351d7b23c682378bc2.jpg

I was surprised to see Mike at 11pm after seeing him with Shirleen this morning. Liz came off the 11pm news a decade or so ago and rarely, if ever, appears on the late news. Most times she’ll fill in at 5pm and I’ve seen her fill in at noon but never 11pm.

I wonder when we’ll learn a decision on the morning anchor as Mike and Shirleen are really good together and he’s not been on weekends since Ken left.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that they plan to put Mike permanently on mornings with Shirleen, but don't want to commit to it just yet. For instance, the promo for EWN this morning & GMA features only Heather, Sam, and Shirleen as the announced anchors, however at the end they show a team shot that features Mike, so it's a subtle inclusion of him.

Also thought it was pretty interesting the last few days the 6pm team has been the entirety of the weekend team (Sandra, Joe, Jeff, and Sam). The 'rule' about Liz never filling in at 11pm seems to apply to Sade never filling in at 6pm.