Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

WABC - 7 Eyewitness News


Recommended Posts

The WABAC

On 7/13/2021 at 6:15 PM, MorningNews said:

Is anyone else seeing the promo of the 6pm, WNT and Jeopardy block that advertises Bill and Sade as the 6 pm team?

 

The updated promo for Robin Roberts guest hosting still uses Bill and Sade as the 6 PM anchors.

 

vlcsnap-2021-07-19-17h59m55s520.png

Edited by IceManNYR
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In terms of career progression, one would not go from anchoring a broadcast at WABC to anchoring World News Now. It pays less and the hours are worse. If anything, you sometimes see the opposite - Liz

Rob went home today after recovering.     

I hope Robin Baumgarten gets invited to the grand opening.    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

The WABAC

 

The updated promo for Robin Roberts guest hosting still uses Bill and Sade as the 6 PM anchors.

 

vlcsnap-2021-07-19-17h59m55s520.png

That’s odd. Perhaps this is a sign of what’s to come? Let’s continue this discussion in the speculation 9000 thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

The WABAC

 

The updated promo for Robin Roberts guest hosting still uses Bill and Sade as the 6 PM anchors.

 

vlcsnap-2021-07-19-17h59m55s520.png

And Liz is back from vacation this week so this now makes even less sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

And Liz is back from vacation this week so this now makes even less sense.

If Liz is back and on at 6 then it really doesn’t make sense. It’s not like she left the 6pm newscast or is even currently away.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Ryan Field, fully vaccinated, was off air recently after testing positive for the COVID-19 Delta variant and needing to isolate for 10 days. For 48 hours, he experienced all the symptoms, according to his Facebook post, and credits being vaccinated with preventing his symptoms from becoming much worse. 
 

https://www.facebook.com/100057991483165/posts/231987635410951/?d=n

Edited by wabceyewitness
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shirleen Allicott posted earlier today that she decided to finally get vaccinated. She had to be extremely careful because she's due to give birth any day now, but got the OK from her doctor to do so. We are far from out of the woods. COVID is still a real thing and I'm glad WABC is continuing to take precautions to remain safe. In no way am I knocking any other station, but I hope nobody was premature in easing social distancing and precautions

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re right. I also just saw Bill’s post from yesterday. Seems like there are several legitimate concerns amongst the WABC anchors about the vaccines and virus to this day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Adds an interesting layer to their decision to remain socially distanced. Best to be safe.

That actually may be a part of why they are continuing to socially distance. I think it’s the right call.

14 hours ago, JamelVVanderburg said:

Shirleen Allicott posted earlier today that she decided to finally get vaccinated. She had to be extremely careful because she's due to give birth any day now, but got the OK from her doctor to do so. We are far from out of the woods. COVID is still a real thing and I'm glad WABC is continuing to take precautions to remain safe. In no way am I knocking any other station, but I hope nobody was premature in easing social distancing and precautions

I hope not either. I’ve read more and more about people fully vaccinated getting ill with covid and some seriously ill although unlike those who are vaccinated so far very few fully

vaccinated people are dying.

13 hours ago, MorningNews said:

You’re right. I also just saw Bill’s post from yesterday. Seems like there are several legitimate concerns amongst the WABC anchors about the vaccines and virus to this day.

I’ll have to check his post out. There are real concerns with the virus for those who are vaccinated and especially those who aren’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah its understandable that they continue to remain socially distanced. BTW isn't WABC supposed to move into a new building in the village? What is the update on that? Also, any idea on if they are upgrading their on-air look? They've had their current "meh and blah" graphics package since 2016 now haha. I think we are going on 5 years now right with the package. 

 

Well, nothing a little Google search can't help with these days haha. Looks like the new building is well underway!

 

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/03/foundation-work-underway-for-disneys-headquarters-at-four-hudson-square-in-hudson-square-manhattan.html

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned, I’m a rather newcomer to NYC but how is Bill Ritter able to get away with his editorial comments during the news? It’s fine to have your say on social media but this man isn’t shy about adding his own commentary to the actual news in obvious ad-libs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

As mentioned, I’m a rather newcomer to NYC but how is Bill Ritter able to get away with his editorial comments during the news? It’s fine to have your say on social media but this man isn’t shy about adding his own commentary to the actual news in obvious ad-libs.

Couldn’t agree more.. I’ve actually started to turn to other stations because of it. I’m actually really starting to like WCBS at 5.. and I love the format at 6 on FOX5 with Lori Stokes. If FOX5 would get more serious at 5 I think a lot more people would tune in with Steve and Lori.. And let’s be honest if he was commenting “the other way” (we’ll leave it at that) it would not be allowed. 

Edited by nynewslover
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nynewslover said:

Couldn’t agree more.. I’ve actually started to turn to other stations because of it. I’m actually really starting to like WCBS at 5.. and I love the format at 6 on FOX5 with Lori Stokes. If FOX5 would get more serious at 5 I think a lot more people would tune in with Steve and Lori.. And let’s be honest if he was commenting “the other way” (we’ll leave it at that) it would not be allowed. 

What does Bill say? I don’t watch WABC too often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

What does Bill say? I don’t watch WABC too often.

He’ll often throw comments in especially after political stories.. police involved stories.. and ALWAYS when it involved/involves Trump. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ yeah his comments always tend to be politically or socially charged. It’s not even that I disagree with his sentiments, it’s just not really his place to be sharing on the 11 pm news. NONE of the others on channel 7 do it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nynewslover said:

He’ll often throw comments in especially after political stories.. police involved stories.. and ALWAYS when it involved/involves Trump. 

I’m not a fan of Trump myself although I guess that’s not appropriate. Many like Bill and he seems like a decent person although I have a story about him. When I was a young kid I used to call newscasters because for some reason I wanted to speak to them I guess because they were well known. I called Bill and left him a message maybe around 9pm one evening. He calls my house at around midnight to tell my parents he didn’t appreciate my call. I can understand him feeling that way although I don’t think it was necessary for him to have called at midnight and even tho my parents didn’t think I should have been doing that they also didn’t appreciate his midnight call. It could have waited for the next day. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I’m not a fan of Trump myself although I guess that’s not appropriate. Many like Bill and he seems like a decent person although I have a story about him. When I was a young kid I used to call newscasters because for some reason I wanted to speak to them I guess because they were well known. I called Bill and left him a message maybe around 9pm one evening. He calls my house at around midnight to tell my parents he didn’t appreciate my call. I can understand him feeling that way although I don’t think it was necessary for him to have called at midnight and even tho my parents didn’t think I should have been doing that they also didn’t appreciate his midnight call. It could have waited for the next day. 


 

that’s odd and unlike Bill.  What was the context of your message to him?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:


 

that’s odd and unlike Bill.  What was the context of your message to him?

 

 

It was basically about wanting to talk to him. It wasn’t rude or threatening. Maybe he was having a bad day that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill always adds his two cents after almost *any* story, at least whenever I've watched. "Such a sad story" is the one I feel like I've heard most often. I've never liked his anchoring style even without the editorializing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I think WABC like his personality and it adds an extra element to the broadcasts.

Maybe the producers like that. He's always been this way since he started working there so its probably working quite well.

 

It's also way to connect with the audience instead of being monotone all the time. It adds a heartwarming human and personal touch to the story as well so they don't sound as cold. A lot of the news today is very robotic, monotone and often heartless. So I appreciate his comments. I know it may not be as professional, but I think there is something to be added of value when the anchor adds their personality to the broadcast. He's kinda like the new Bill Beutel, or the venerable Roger Grimsby. The station is most remembered by him so I think thats how we have to see it as. It's WABC's way of putting someone as the face of the Eyewitness News Brand and Bill Ritter is definitely that now for all the right reasons.

 

Mark Marza on the other hand needs more help with that front, he always adds his two cents a lot of the times too especially on the weekend morning broadcasts haha. But idk, they are still feel like they are very forced.

Edited by Vlad
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vlad said:

Honestly I think WABC like his personality and it adds an extra element to the broadcasts.

Maybe the producers like that. He's always been this way since he started working there so its probably working quite well.

 

It's also way to connect with the audience instead of being monotone all the time. It adds a heartwarming human and personal touch to the story as well so they don't sound as cold. A lot of the news today is very robotic, monotone and often heartless. So I appreciate his comments. I know it may not be as professional, but I think there is something to be added of value when the anchor adds their personality to the broadcast. He's kinda like the new Bill Beutel, or the venerable Roger Grimsby. The station is most remembered by him so I think thats how we have to see it as. It's WABC's way of putting someone as the face of the Eyewitness News Brand and Bill Ritter is definitely that now for all the right reasons.

 

Mark Marza on the other hand needs more help with that front, he always adds his two cents a lot of the times too especially on the weekend morning broadcasts haha. But idk, they are still feel like they are very forced.

I agree to an extent. Commenting how sad a story is or how tragic an event might be is one thing, it’s a whole different thing to add editorial comments to stories dealing with Trump and others like him (despite how accurate his commentary is). His comments last week following a story about an Asian NYPD officer beating criminals already in custody because they hurled racial slurs prompted me to ask. After reading the story Bill adds “as a NYPD officer he knows better and that’s something that he shouldn’t be doing.” It’s like yeah I don’t disagree but I feel like the reporter, the NYPD’s comments and common sense make that very clear without you having to add in your thoughts. Again, I agree with him and we’re likely politically aligned but as nynewslover mentioned above, Bill never comments similarly when involving a left-leaning subject matter and likely wouldn’t be around much longer if he did.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vlad said:

Honestly I think WABC like his personality and it adds an extra element to the broadcasts.

Maybe the producers like that. He's always been this way since he started working there so its probably working quite well.

 

It's also way to connect with the audience instead of being monotone all the time. It adds a heartwarming human and personal touch to the story as well so they don't sound as cold. A lot of the news today is very robotic, monotone and often heartless. So I appreciate his comments. I know it may not be as professional, but I think there is something to be added of value when the anchor adds their personality to the broadcast. He's kinda like the new Bill Beutel, or the venerable Roger Grimsby. The station is most remembered by him so I think thats how we have to see it as. It's WABC's way of putting someone as the face of the Eyewitness News Brand and Bill Ritter is definitely that now for all the right reasons.

 

Mark Marza on the other hand needs more help with that front, he always adds his two cents a lot of the times too especially on the weekend morning broadcasts haha. But idk, they are still feel like they are very forced.

There’s a reason why WABC went with Bill Ritter over Greg Hurst and Robb Hanrahan when Bill Beutel retired. I actually think they should have went with Harry Martin although that obviously was not the direction they wanted to go in. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Marza reached Bill when he eventually does retire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, Liugrad2020 said:

There’s a reason why WABC went with Bill Ritter over Greg Hurst and Robb Hanrahan when Bill Beutel retired. I actually think they should have went with Harry Martin although that obviously was not the direction they wanted to go in. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Marza reached Bill when he eventually does retire. 

David is heir apparent. He’s 14 years younger than Bill. He will get his day in the sun before anyone else does. Mike has a long time before he even gets off weekends. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.