WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

15 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I would think for the money he makes that he could work on a day off on occasion.

you’ll be a great manager one day. 

15 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Sam is full time because he works 10 hours a day 4 days a week and opposed to most of the others who work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. If Brittany takes Sams place at noon it will be interesting to see how he gets to 10 hours a day for 4 days a week as I don’t see him doing mornings for 5 days a week.

That’s not how “full-time”/part-time status works with television news talent. There is no counting of hours as there is with regular 9-5 jobs. Somebody could work 10 hours a week and anchor an hour show weekly and get paid a handsome salary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

you’ll be a great manager one day. 

That’s not how “full-time”/part-time status works with television news talent. There is no counting of hours as there is with regular 9-5 jobs. Somebody could work 10 hours a week and anchor an hour show weekly and get paid a handsome salary.

I’d want my money’s worth. My understanding was that he has a 10 hour a day/4 day per week workweek. 

Brittany did the weather this morning.

12 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I’d want my money’s worth. My understanding was that he has a 10 hour a day/4 day per week workweek. 

Brittany did the weather this morning.

he does have that schedule but it’s because he has the ability to ask for and receive it after decades of experience and work at ABC plus being able to bring in / keep viewers watching after Bill Evans left. Similar to how Robin Roberts is now able to work Good Morning America just 4 days per week. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

he does have that schedule but it’s because he has the ability to ask for and receive it after decades of experience and work at ABC plus being able to bring in / keep viewers watching after Bill Evans left. Similar to how Robin Roberts is now able to work Good Morning America just 4 days per week. 

I see your point. In all fairness I think Chuck Scarborough works 4 days a week and Bill Ritter does as well during the summer.

11 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Is anyone else seeing the promo of the 6pm, WNT and Jeopardy block that advertises Bill and Sade as the 6 pm team?

I know you're referring to the omission of Liz, but is this a promo for Stephanopoulos hosting Jeopardy, touting the trio of the #1 local news, the #1 national news, and America's Quiz Show? Simple, blue and white, using a font that's close to (but not) the one used for Jeopardy! clues?

Edited by 24994J

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

I know you're referring to the omission of Liz, but is this a promo for Stephanopoulos hosting Jeopardy, touting the trio of the #1 local news, the #1 national news, and America's Quiz Show? Simple, blue and white, using a font that's close to (but not) the one used for Jeopardy! clues?

Bill recently said in a post for this 18th anniversary co-anchoring with Liz that he hopes they co-anchor together for another 18 years. Not sure if he’s serious about that or if he is.

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

Ha yeah that one. Now admittedly I’m being a nitpick, but it also seems disjointed to create a promo using the wrong talent. Liz is away and Bill is anchoring solo at 6 so why include Sade who doesn’t appear outside of 5 and 11 pm? Again, it’s small but odd things like this are rather common for WABC and it’s starting to get…sloppy?

56 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Ha yeah that one. Now admittedly I’m being a nitpick, but it also seems disjointed to create a promo using the wrong talent. Liz is away and Bill is anchoring solo at 6 so why include Sade who doesn’t appear outside of 5 and 11 pm? Again, it’s small but odd things like this are rather common for WABC and it’s starting to get…sloppy?

WLS is running a version of it, too, and it's really weird. They promote Jeopardy! at 3:30, Eyewitness News at 5, and WNT at 5:30, completely skipping over the juggernaut 4pm news. That stacked rundown at the end of the spot looks ridiculous, making it seem like J! is 90 minutes, which any sane person knows isn't true.

image.thumb.png.f976bfff7d0f69bf196fdc76f215b3c1.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Maybe this is better for another thread although it could be a sign of what’s to come?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nynewslover said:

WABC is the only station having their anchors sitting distance.. PIX and WCBS ended it this week. Wonder when WABC will follow 

It’s possible not all of their anchors are vaccinated just yet so they may not want do it for just some shows and not others. 

IF there are indeed anchors not yet vaccinated, there could be various reasons. An individual may have had a severe allergic reaction to previous vaccines and their primary care physician has advised against this vaccine. An individual may have an autoimmune condition that their doctor feels the vaccine will trigger or enhance. The individual may be pregnant and has either chosen or has been advised to wait until giving birth before receiving the vaccine. The individual may be on medications that would require pausing while the body responds to the vaccine and the individual or their doctor feel it is best to stay the course of the medication right now. 

There are plenty more. Most people are fine getting the vaccine and most of us are lucky to have been able to receive it, but not everyone is able to and they are unfortunately usually in a vulnerable group. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

IF there are indeed anchors not yet vaccinated, there could be various reasons. An individual may have had a severe allergic reaction to previous vaccines and their primary care physician has advised against this vaccine. An individual may have an autoimmune condition that their doctor feels the vaccine will trigger or enhance. The individual may be pregnant and has either chosen or has been advised to wait until giving birth before receiving the vaccine. The individual may be on medications that would require pausing while the body responds to the vaccine and the individual or their doctor feel it is best to stay the course of the medication right now. 

There are plenty more. Most people are fine getting the vaccine and most of us are lucky to have been able to receive it, but not everyone is able to and they are unfortunately usually in a vulnerable group. 

You make a good point although far too many don’t get the vaccine because of misinformation. If Shirleen didn’t get vaccinated I can understand why and if these precautions are still in place even to protect her then that’s wonderful that WABC has that kind of work environment where they care about those who work there. I just hope those who did not get vaccinated had a good reason not to.

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

Vaccination aside, could be a talent decision. Based on recent Facebook posts, would not be surprised if Bill Ritter, who is vaccinated, decided he is not willing to sit side by side yet. 

That’s possible. It could be as Bill is 71 with possible health conditions and we quite honestly don’t know how long the vaccines will be effective for, are they effective against the delta variant or can vaccinated people spread covid to non vaccinated people. If Bill said it was either keeping this arrangement for now or him retiring WABC may have decided they’d prefer to keep him over going back to anchors sitting side by side. 

10 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

That’s possible. It could be as Bill is 71 with possible health conditions and we quite honestly don’t know how long the vaccines will be effective for, are they effective against the delta variant or can vaccinated people spread covid to non vaccinated people. If Bill said it was either keeping this arrangement for now or him retiring WABC may have decided they’d prefer to keep him over going back to anchors sitting side by side. 

I don’t think a seating arrangement would force someone into retirement 

• Like 2

I think WABCs seating arrangements are simply still following a station mandated protocol. Their studio is still covered up to prevent people from gathering to watch which was a COVID protocol put into place last year.

Edited by MorningNews

On 7/14/2021 at 1:23 AM, 24994J said:

WLS is running a version of it, too, and it's really weird. They promote Jeopardy! at 3:30, Eyewitness News at 5, and WNT at 5:30, completely skipping over the juggernaut 4pm news. That stacked rundown at the end of the spot looks ridiculous, making it seem like J! is 90 minutes, which any sane person knows isn't true.

image.thumb.png.f976bfff7d0f69bf196fdc76f215b3c1.png

Just a quick follow-up, the Chicago version of this promo was updated by the end of George's week (adding the 4pm news), and again as Robin takes over tomorrow.

• Like 1

One has to wonder if these promos were rush ordered by the network because what would be the sense in initially skipping over the 4pm news? I haven’t seen WABC running the promo outside of that first instance but the Chicago update looks much better. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I think WABCs seating arrangements are simply still following a station mandated protocol. Their studio is still covered up to prevent people from gathering to watch which was a COVID protocol put into place last year.

The shades are back up… and the distancing at the desk isn’t station-mandated. Kelly & Ryan have been sitting  alongside each other for over a month now. 

21 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

One has to wonder if these promos were rush ordered by the network because what would be the sense in initially skipping over the 4pm news? I haven’t seen WABC running the promo outside of that first instance but the Chicago update looks much better. 

had the same thought — rush order from network.