WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

No it was a different one. That cue with the one you're talking about is one of those 5 second tag from another theme Series 1. This one was a different one. It was aired at the start of the 6pm open with Charlie Van Dyke stating "This is Breaking News from Channel 7 Eyewitness News" or something along those lines and then they showed what happened in Oklahoma. The cue begins with the WABC Melody' date=' and then you'll hear that
. It's like someone smack-dab that melody on there. This obviously had to be customized.

They played that open twice, on the 6pm & the 11pm. I missed the open on the 11pm because I saw the stream too late to see it. When I saw it at six, I didn't even notice the vamp part because it was played kind of quietly, until like the 10 secs. into it and then I noticed it.

On a different note, when I saw the Sunday morning 9am broadcast online, I was shocked that they got rid of the Series 1 bumper they used to play all the time on the weekends. When did they stop playing that bumper? Was it when they moved to new studio?

They play the Series 1 bumper during the community calendar segment.

I captured the audio of the breaking news open. I captured it as they were finishing airing that police press conference. I knew they were going to air it because of that story and the developments of the Tornado in OK area. That breaking new cue has been used on KABC for god knows how long. Even after they used the NG1 theme in 2006.

That cue was around during 1997 as a promo cut.

They play the Series 1 bumper during the community calendar segment.

That cue was around during 1997 as a promo cut.

I wasn't aware that they'd use that cue early on. At that time, they'd already over two years into using the new EWN theme. I also don't think that cue included that WABC melody in the beginning at that time. I think someone attach that melody onto the 1994 Series 1 breaking news cue, like recently.

For the past couple months they've been introducing a ton of new animations and modifications to the graphics. For breaking news, the open's BG is now colored red and a far more urgent cut of music is used, and the lower thirds display "BREAKING NEWS" in a red rounded rectangle. A lot of stories are now prefaced with animations featuring the name of the region where the story is (NJ, Westchester, etc.), and it seems that they had Charlie van Dyke re-record portions of the First @ 4 talent intro for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Frequently WABC's anchors sound loud and with over modulated distorted audio.

Another annoying thing is when the b-roll video has its audio up to loud and it's almost as loud as the anchor talking.

I'm guessing this is a result of using automation and not having a person mixing the audio?

• 1 month later...

I've noticed for the 11pm newscast they are back to starting the intro with the end credits and not showing commercials before the intro.

They also sometimes skip the talent intro and go with a breaking news intro "Eyewitness news beings with breaking news.".

From Michelle Charlesworth's facebook page.

"See you tomorrow !!! It's gonna be Kemberly and Bill Evans and me - so don't get crazy confused about what day it is! Who am I? What am I doing?!"

Gonna be interesting to see Bill on a weekend.

From Michelle Charlesworth's facebook page.

"See you tomorrow !!! It's gonna be Kemberly and Bill Evans and me - so don't get crazy confused about what day it is! Who am I? What am I doing?!"

Gonna be interesting to see Bill on a weekend.

Damn. I don't think I ever remember Kemberly being a fill-in anchor. Have she ever filled in before?

I actually toured WABC yesterday will Bill Ritter. While we were waiting for him and Liz to come down to the lobby to go to the studio, we saw Kemberly and Lauren Glassberg running to go to the studio, so Lauren could end her story. She didn't make it though, but it is really nice to be on their set.

• 2 weeks later...

I know WABC doesn't like to mess with their teams and they are #1 in the morning spot but I really wish they would get rid of Ken Rosato and have the spot to Phil Lipof cause in my opinion he's is a thousand times better and seems to have better chemistry with Lori Stokes.

I know WABC doesn't like to mess with their teams and they are #1 in the morning spot but I really wish they would get rid of Ken Rosato and have the spot to Phil Lipof cause in my opinion he's is a thousand times better and seems to have better chemistry with Lori Stokes.

Clearly people disagree with you considering they are the most watched morning news in NY by a long shot. Sometimes I think we just want some kind of change because it can get boring to follow NYC News behind the scene otherwise. No anchor change is needed at WABC.

Clearly people disagree with you considering they are the most watched morning news in NY by a long shot. Sometimes I think we just want some kind of change because it can get boring to follow NYC News behind the scene otherwise. No anchor change is needed at WABC.

I'm well aware of that.. I was just saying my opinion.

They have a slick new promo touting their reporters and that Eyewitness News is all about local news. Saw it first during Sunday's 11pm news. Not sure if it has aired again since or has been on prior to that,"

It had previously aired. I actually got a video of it, it is a very good promo. Likely to replace the current "More reporters on the ground etc..." promo. Very nice promo plus it has the new logo.

It had previously aired. I actually got a video of it, it is a very good promo. Likely to replace the current "More reporters on the ground etc..." promo. Very nice promo plus it has the new logo.

Are you able to post it? Not sure which one you guys are talking about.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic