WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Someone please tell WABC to refocus the camera at the Weather Center.

How do they not notice how out of focus it is? It's been like this since Saturday morning.

Either that or they are going ridiculously overboard with the soft filtering.

aaelv0a7.jpg

The news desk cameras have to much soft filtering making the video, especially the wide shots, almost look like SD 16:9,

aagL9N7b.jpg aagQlfoc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Iceman, are these shots in 16:9 Standard Definition? They must be, because they are not clear at all... They're probably are in SD 16:9. There is no way that those pictures are 720p HD. Unless IceMan has a non HD capture card, but I've seen his images, they've been significantly clearer especially on WNBC so I don't know.. In fact WABC's previous set was much clearer than this its actually awful. I know for a fact that even FOX 5 has better quality images than that.. If they are claiming that quality is HD then something is seriously wrong with their cameras or perhaps their lighting because the images are just way too soft and blurry almost to be considered High Defintion. They must be using their SD Widescreen Cameras...

The video captures are 720p up converted to 1080i by the cable box. Yes the video on WABC's news cast is that soft.

WABC needs to turn down the soft filtering and give more bandwidth back to 7.1.

Getting rid of 7.3 would be a good start.

It was mentioned on Friday's Live With Kelly, which was a rerun with a new open and closing segment, that work was going to start on remodeling the studio and expanding into the old WABC news studio.

The plan is for the studio to be ready for April 9th. They have been airing reruns March 19th through the 30th and the show is in Canada this week.

• 2 months later...

Both Joe and Sandra were off tonight.. Phil and Michelle were in.. Phil was there this morning but Michelle wasn't (Toni Yates was in).. Why do they have the morning people fill in? Do they not have other reporters that can be anchors?

The background they are using at 4pm has to much blue overlaid on the skyline photo.

aamdPChx.jpg

It's been like that for a few weeks.. It's the same at noon.. Also at 6 they have the "night" background with the skyline lit up.. They should change that for the summer to a lighter one since it is still sunny out at that time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why do the have the anchors sit on stools? I could see giving the weather person just a stool at the desk.. But the anchors? They're the "Number 1 station in the Nation" you would think they could give them chairs.. It's looks pretty uncomfortable.

From a physiological standpoint, sitting on a stool without a back makes one sit up much straighter - you have nothing to lean back on. It makes the sitter appear tall and straight, with no chance to slump foward.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week WABC used the video wall to display graphics,

adwYcArV.jpg abyeEZTW.jpg

I really like that.. I remember when PIX11 debuted their set and the 6:30 newscast they used the backdrop screens as OTS graphics.. We will probably only see this during special coverage but I like it.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic