WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

• 2 weeks later...

As of Yesterday for the 4pm broadcast, they now finally feature a 7 Day Accu-Weather forecast as opposed to the 5 Day. The 7 day looks a bit cluttered, but I guess that's because they had to make the change in house since the graphic was designed for a 5 day one instead. Anyway it's pretty awesome that they have a 7 day now rather than a 5 day.

As of Yesterday for the 4pm broadcast, they now finally feature a 7 Day Accu-Weather forecast as opposed to the 5 Day. The 7 day looks a bit cluttered, but I guess that's because they had to make the change in house since the graphic was designed for a 5 day one instead. Anyway it's pretty awesome that they have a 7 day now rather than a 5 day.

I saw that this morning. I actually couldnt believe it at first. Have they ever done a 7 day forecast on WABC before?

I saw that this morning. I actually couldnt believe it at first. Have they ever done a 7 day forecast on WABC before?

nope. Although their website has offered a 7 day forecast for a while.

they have it set up like CBS2 where days 6 and 7 share the same column and appear after the initial first 5 days.

They haven't and from what I remember reading on WABC's AccuWether Chat Board, Bill Evans and Lee Goldberg had been opposed to 7 day forecasts because of how easily just the 4th and 5th day of 5 day forecasts could change. This was about two or three years ago and they said they didn't believe the technology available then could help make a proper 7 day forecast so, I'm assuming, they feel comfortable with whatever technology they currently have to forecast out to day 7.

Was just going through the channel guide on my tv.. It showed eyewitness news at 11 on from 11-12.. I remember something being mentioned this in the past.. Is this the first week they're doing this or has it been going on for a while?

It's been a hour long newscast on the weekends since Jan. 7th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Twi things I noticed about EWN Weekends:

1) On Saturday evening, at approximately 5:35pm, they aired an "Eyewitness News Brief". It last about a minute and half, summarized three top stories and had a check on the weather. How long have they been doing this on weekends?

2) I noticed the Sunday morning EWN Brief during GMA Weekend was done from inside the studio and not the newsroom flashcam. Why do the weekday EWN Briefs still originate from the newsroom if the studio is available? Is the newsroom flashcam operated from a different control area where, I presume, the studio and "Live!" are being controlled from?

1) On Saturday evening, at approximately 5:35pm, they aired an "Eyewitness News Brief". It last about a minute and half, summarized three top stories and had a check on the weather. How long have they been doing this on weekends?

I think ABC has been giving the affiliates that time since they've had that 2-hour "ESPN Sports Saturday" block. I know WLS has done a similar update in the year or two that they've aired the program.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the lighting in their studio is so bad? The "interview" area doesn't even look like it has lights its so dark.. The green screen isnt to great either..The desk isn't as bad but still pretty dark.. Its really annoying.. The only place with 1/2 way decent lighting is the newsroom area. As silly as it may sound I now watch FOX 5 at 5 and 6 now.. I've been watching Greg and Rosanna for a few years now and even tho their set is the oldest in the city I think it is the nicest.

To me WCBS is much darker at the news desk then WABC. I agree the lighting for the interview area and green screen on WABC is to dark.

Someone mentioned to me that part of the problem is a limitation of the studio power source.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the lighting in their studio is so bad? The "interview" area doesn't even look like it has lights its so dark.. The green screen isnt to great either..The desk isn't as bad but still pretty dark.. Its really annoying.. The only place with 1/2 way decent lighting is the newsroom area. As silly as it may sound I now watch FOX 5 at 5 and 6 now.. I've been watching Greg and Rosanna for a few years now and even tho their set is the oldest in the city I think it is the nicest.

I think it's mostly their insistence on using LED lights. They simply don't give off enough light compared to your "classic" lighting instrument. The color of LED lights also just blends in with the colors of the set (cold blues) compared to the yellows and reds that a traditional instrument will throw off. LED lights also lack reflectors, so the light is unfocused and drops off faster.

The FOX O&O set are big on not using LED or lots of Fluorescent lights. The colors the "traditional" lights give off are what helps bring out the colors the FOX O&O sets use and what makes them look good on TV.

Can't they adjust the cameras to make the video level a bit brighter from the interview area.

With the WABC Green screen if they do stand closer to it the wall the lighting is better but if they move away the lighting gets much darker.

With WCBS I find the overall lighting for the AM news is darker then the other newscasts.

Specially where the weather and sports people sit on the ends of the desk.

I think it's mostly their insistence on using LED lights. They simply don't give off enough light compared to your "classic" lighting instrument. The color of LED lights also just blends in with the colors of the set (cold blues) compared to the yellows and reds that a traditional instrument will throw off. LED lights also lack reflectors, so the light is unfocused and drops off faster.

The FOX O&O set are big on not using LED or lots of Fluorescent lights. The colors the "traditional" lights give off are what helps bring out the colors the FOX O&O sets use and what makes them look good on TV.

WABC had to use LED lighting because of the low ceiling in the studio. Read this artcile from TVNewsCheck for more:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2011/10/06/54528/wabcs-new-studio-gives-it-street-cred

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic