WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

Thats pretty cool! At least he'll still be with WABC but in a different capacity! :)

It sounds like he is preparing for retirement by being sure to transfer his knowledge across the group. I don't think he will have any on air role going forward.  With his experience, it is well deserved.

• Like 3

Marza filled in at 11pm a few weeks ago. Sandra is doing 5 and 11pm as Sade’s fill in, with Lauren anchoring at noon. I’d guess David will join Sandra on Fridays at 11pm until Sade returns. 

Pedro Rivera debuted on the weekend morning news today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Marza filled in at 11pm a few weeks ago. Sandra is doing 5 and 11pm as Sade’s fill in, with Lauren anchoring at noon. I’d guess David will join Sandra on Fridays at 11pm until Sade returns. 

Pedro Rivera debuted on the weekend morning news today. 

Is Bill no longer doing Fridays at 11pm?

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Is Bill no longer doing Fridays at 11pm?

No, he’s been off Friday nights the last year or so I believe. Sade usually anchors solo on Friday nights with Mike joining her occasionally.

• Like 2

Bill is also probably nearing retirement so I noticed he's scaling back on the duties, slowly. But he also still anchors the 5, 6 and 11 so thats still a lot of air time. So its a good strategy to have Bill, the lead anchor still maintain a solid on-air presence while allowing potential successors to groom them out on that Friday evening slot. I can even see the new guy, Pedro Rivera potentially later on down the line, landing the weekday evenings which would be a nice success for him. A lot of anchors who do the morning show on weekend mornings always end up landing somewhere bigger after, seems to be the show with most turnover. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Bill is also probably nearing retirement so I noticed he's scaling back on the duties, slowly. But he also still anchors the 5, 6 and 11 so thats still a lot of air time. So its a good strategy to have Bill, the lead anchor still maintain a solid on-air presence while allowing potential successors to groom them out on that Friday evening slot. I can even see the new guy, Pedro Rivera potentially later on down the line, landing the weekday evenings which would be a nice success for him. A lot of anchors who do the morning show on weekend mornings always end up landing somewhere bigger after, seems to be the show with most turnover. 

IIRC, Bill Ritter himself was on weekend evenings before he replaced Beutel on the 11pm. If they're grooming Mike Marza to be Bill's eventual successor, I could definitely see Pedro taking the weekday morning slot.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 12:07 PM, Geoffrey said:

Wednesday

image.thumb.png.afdef602e7787a14823e5a07fa498b8d.png

image.thumb.png.90dd7585e9f4e14bda063cf5a70434f4.png

Wonder why they changed Interestingly, it was done on the first day of sweeps (not sure how much those matter anymore).

Pardon me for me for being facetious, but the video *wall* would look better and more seemless without that red thing (a table?) in the background. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

On 2/5/2024 at 7:18 PM, MediaZone4K said:

Pardon me for me for being facetious, but the video would look better and more seemless without that red thing (a table?) in the background. 

Yeah I believe its some sort of red shelving for documents and papers, it is a bit tacky for sure, but, in a way, it does match with the red elements associated with their package haha. Also if you notice, it took me a while to realize this, but if you carefully pay attention, the "bars" that overlay the skyline that look off-centered and asymmetrical during the mornings at ten backdrops, are zoomed in cropped pieces of WABC's iteration of the Italicized "EYEWITNESS NEWS" wordmark. It's just "EYEWITN" or "WITN" haha. One thing I didn't care to pay attention to enough though is if the the elements move. I think it Is stationary.  But all in all, it seems like they could put whatever they want behind that desk, kinda like what their sister station, KABC does in LA. 

The new bug is so much more refreshing, miles away than the box they had before. Still rather amazed at their new look. Hope they keep it for a while! Much cleaner and sleek. 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2

Bill Ritter doing the Sunday 11pm news tonight. He wasn't on at 6. Can't be because of high viewership, since ABC didn't have the Super Bowl. I'm assuming that WCBS will have their regular weekday crew when their news finally comes on (update - they are).

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Bill Ritter doing the Sunday 11pm news tonight. He wasn't on at 6. Can't be because of high viewership, since ABC didn't have the Super Bowl. I'm assuming that WCBS will have their regular weekday crew when their news finally comes on (update - they are).

Who did the 6pm?

On 2/15/2024 at 6:47 PM, sfomspphl said:

Debra O'Connell now running ABC News and the O&Os

https://nypost.com/2024/02/14/media/abc-news-president-kim-godwin-gets-new-micromanager-boss-effectively-demoted-sources/

Guess it's a good thing for WABC (and maybe stations in general) a WABC lifer is at the top of the combined role 

I just hope under this change, the O&O stations continue to keep their individuality and local news branding instead of making them all look alike. There is a charm to that indivualistic aspect of a news station versus them all looking alike and sounding the same. 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

I just hope under this change, the O&O stations continue to keep their individuality and local news branding instead of making them all look alike. There is a charm to that indivualistic aspect of a news station versus them all looking alike and sounding the same. 

Say it louder for CBS to hear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vlad said:

I’m all about a mandate if it prevents stations from the on-air presentation WABC had in place for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I’m all about a mandate if it prevents stations from the on-air presentation WABC had in place for a long time. 

I think there’s a difference between stations sharing a group graphics package and stations taking on the identity of the national network news division. The former is nothing to scoff at imo. The latter is far more noticeable.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1