WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

4 hours ago, mountainave said:

Doubtful 6 is the goal.  She's freelancing, so either she's just helping with holiday vacation fill-ins as Andy Field and Sonia Rincon used to do, or someone else is leaving.

I think it might be more than holiday fill-ins. On her LinkedIn page it says "Meteorologist/Reporter abc7NY Dec 2023 - Present 1 month."

When Dani came on at 7am, she joked that Medgie was a Christmas miracle that would allow her and Jeff to have time off during the holidays.

I also noticed Brittany Bell was subbing on GMA this morning.

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, mountainave said:

Doubtful 6 is the goal.  She's freelancing, so either she's just helping with holiday vacation fill-ins as Andy Field and Sonia Rincon used to do, or someone else is leaving.

Is she, though? Raegan posted that her "#CommercialBreak OFFICIALLY OVER" (that's what she had been calling her time away from TV). If it was just a temporary gig, I don't think she would have worded it that way.

On 12/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, IceManNYR said:

I think it might be more than holiday fill-ins. On her LinkedIn page it says "Meteorologist/Reporter abc7NY Dec 2023 - Present 1 month."

When Dani came on at 7am, she joked that Medgie was a Christmas miracle that would allow her and Jeff to have time off during the holidays.

I also noticed Brittany Bell was subbing on GMA this morning.

I hadn't noticed this reply before mine, but I absolutely agree.

Edited by MisterBill

11 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Is she, though? Raegan posted that her "#CommercialBreak OFFICIALLY OVER" (that's what she had been calling her time away from TV). If it was just a temporary gig, I don't think she would have worded it that way.

Yes, she was hired by WABC as a freelancer.  Freelance doesn't necessarily = temporary, though.  It's increasingly common for talent to join stations as freelancers and then receive a proper contract thereafter.

That said, I maintain, as I originally said, that she's either helping with holiday coverage or ultimately replacing someone else.  I'm certain WABC isn't planning to employ 6 meteorologists.

As I said, she's freelancing.  Again, freelance doesn't necessarily mean temporary.  Just means she's not currently under a long-term contract.  Therefore, she's likely either helping with coverage during the holidays a la Andy Field or is being eased onto the team with someone else's planned departure.

image.png.65c535e422da6bb69f2ef556038bf0bd.png

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:46 PM, newsdude said:

Medgie seems like a "last resort" type. Right place at the right time and not much more. Her presence is unremarkable, but good for her to find work. 

Well, her versatility of being able to report as well as do weather makes her more valuable, I suppose. She posted a screenshot of her reporting a story this week.

WABC has always done it right with the weather and also fellow NY station WNBC as well. These two stations are weather powerhouses. NBC is the only station with an exclusive 10 day forecast superceding WABC's 7 Day. WABC is prudent and wise to continue to invest and build in the weather department because most people tune in, just for that. Why? Because the weather directly affects the viewer. Decisions are made because of the weather so its a crucial element for any broadcast if not the most important segment of the broadcast in my opinion.

Also it helps to know that, viewing habits are changing. The era of Live Television has steadily  been declining. As millenials and Gen-Zrs get older and are coming of age, we rely on our mobile devices to fast track to the content we are looking for. We are not sitting down on a couch watching TV (unless its a sports event). So this also allows WABC to continue to build and solidify their online presence and produce quality content for ABC7NY and their social media platforms. So really kudos to WABC for expanding, lets see what 2024 brings! 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 4

And the holiday edition of musical chairs begins: at 6 tonight, Bill anchored solo,   Lee did weather and someone from ESPN  did sports remotely from ESPN headquarters in Bristol, CT.

At 11, Sandra anchored solo, Lee did weather and Sandra and Lee shared sports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 8:12 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

One thing that hasn’t changed: there isn’t a bathroom in sight.

For real though, what a cool photo.

A bit off-topic, but in regards to Times Square, people actually wear diapers to stand there for all those hours haha. The convenience stores like CVS and Rite Aid, etc. put diapers on display to provide for the revelers to stand there for the entire day, its pretty wild. :D

But in regards to ABC, it will be the end of an era, when ABC leaves the area to head to their new location downtown. I believe it is slated to happen in 2025?

Edited by Vlad

On 12/17/2023 at 4:37 PM, JustinH said:

So then he's only doing 6-7 am and 10-11 am 3-4 days a week? I could totally see ABC7 taking proactive measures and bringing in a 6th meteorologist, even if just for vacation relief (which is how Dani started off before Brittany moved to weekday mornings). It took entirely too long to replace Bill Evans.

On 12/17/2023 at 6:55 PM, MorningNews said:

Without getting into the 6th met thing, I do think Sam could be stepping down soon given the scale down in his on-air duties.

As much as I like Sam, and as much star power as he brings to the weatherman role, as an employer I would just get someone who can work full-time rather than hiring a sixth meteorologist.

More power to him though for getting that schedule and getting decent time off that a lot of us would wish to have.

Edited by MediaZone4K

32 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Has it been mentioned at all where Sade Baderinwa has been? I've noticed Sandra Bookman seems to be filling in most nights with Bill. Holiday vacation is normal but it seems like she hasn't been seen in a while.

I’ve noticed that too. And she’s not been active on social media. Hope all is well and she’s just on a long vacation or something 

3 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

I’ve noticed that too. And she’s not been active on social media. Hope all is well and she’s just on a long vacation or something 

She could just be sick, it’s really not a big deal. There’s an uptick in COVID, flu, and RSV right now (and I should know).

• Like 2