WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

9 hours ago, Muppetman03 said:

I wonder how that'll look in the talent open 
If they decide to make another one

They probably make one with Brittany & the team for the 4:30-6:00 portion and one with Sam for the 6-7 portion and the 10 am show.

I suppose all will be revealed when they debut the 10AM, but it certainly seems like an unnecessarily confusing weather lineup for now. 

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Noticed today Katie McGee was in studio doing traffic reports on Eyewitness News First at 4.

Wow, thats a blast from the past. Good for her, she was great as CBS2 traffic reporter back in the day. I actually preferred her to Alex Denis.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:11 AM, JustinH said:

I hope this isn't true. It's a 2.5 hour newscast. In that time, the meteorologist is on approximately every 10 minutes for what, about 2-3 minutes a pop, give or take? Why one person can't handle that like all the other stations in America I don't understand. Hell, at some Fox stations, one meteorologist does the entire 4:30-10am morning show (Mike Woods for example at WNYW). Now that to me is a lot for one person, but what do I know?

16 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

I agree I just feel like having the morning show split is weird. Wouldn’t it make more sense doing the AM and the 10. Then the noon and 4? Or the AM and then the 10 and noon? 

If it's a lot for one weathercaster to handle everything between 4:30 am and noon, I would imagine it's even more for the anchors who are on screen more.

I like WNBC's arrangement which has the Midday anchor be seperate from the AM and Evening anchors. 

I think the simplest arrangement would be

Team A: 4:30-7am, GMA cut ins & 10 am

Team B: 12,4,6pm

Team C 5 & 11pm.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

New Weather Graphics:

The new O&O weather graphics package that the stations are getting are really amazing. They are much cleaner and easier on the eye. The only gripe is that little "AccuWeather" logo they have on top of the main titular banners at times, which looks a bit off but other than that, solid package! I like how they went with a reduction in the size and no more Bold which I think is a solid clean approach. Will be nice to see how the rest of the package looks, I'd imagine it will look similar to WLS's current package.

Music Package:

Hard to believe that it's almost 25 years since they unveiled the current Eyewitness News Series 4 theme. If you listen closely to the jingle at the titular sequence for the openings, the astute listener will recognize that it actually resembles the Cool Hand Luke opening jingle, which someone had mentioned they wish they would bring back which is likely why they kept it for so long. The current theme, although old now, still sounds pretty modern and works, but, I hope they could've used more cuts though the bumper jingle is nice, but maybe use some cuts out of the package. Especially for the different broadcasts, maybe the morning show can have a softer theme like how KABC does for their morning shows. Someone else had mentioned that it seems like the music is here to stay for all of the O&Os at least for now as a cost-cutting measure. Personally, I've always preferred the newer updated KABC and KGO Eyewitness News theme used on the West Coast over the current one that WABC has been using for nearly 25 years, despite the age though, the melody of the theme sounds for lack of better words, "more authoritative and harder" which is New York. It has that hard news, rough, and gritty vibe, then the softer more chill and mellow SoCal vibe that the KABC theme has. Would be nice if WABC adopted the KGO theme modified with the WABC signature, it always felt very New York. 

Sam Champion and Talent:

With Britney Bell taking over in the mornings and Dani Beckstrom also working in the late mornings, I now begin to wonder if this is the beginning of Sam Champion's departure from TV broadcasting altogether. Total speculation, but perhaps, Sam is slowly stepping back so that the other newer talent can start getting the spotlight more. At this point, at 62, I could see Sam retiring soon. Either way, it will be interesting to see how the producers plan on using him for the 10 am show.

has

As for the 10 AM show, here are my thoughts:

They really have to make this one different from the rest of the broadcasts, because it's a bit crazy to now have a 10 a.m. that is the same mundane format as the 4:30-7:00 a.m. And in just an hour after, (Eyewitness News at Noon) yet another hour of the same mundane format. Not saying the format is bad, but they gotta spice it up a bit. If I were a news producer, I would make it a completely different show. Also the anchors should have a say in the production too. Maybe Shirleen and Mike can add some insight to the show as well. I wouldn't even call it "Eyewitness News" maybe something like Good Morning New York, or AM New York, etc.. something that is unique to New York and the station rather than another mundane newscast.. It shouldn't be a newscast at all.

The Noon show should be entirely new talent as well, Maybe put Liz Cho or perhaps one of the reporters who anchor the ABC7NY bits on to freshen it up a bit more and remove some of the staleness haha. Even though it's working now for them, sometimes a shakeup can be nice. 

I think the other stations did similar approaches, like New York Live on WNBC, It would be interesting to see WABC go for a different format change for the 10 a.m. show; (new theme, new graphics, new set, etc...) perhaps along the lines of a "Good Day New York" format where there are more live interviews on set, less reading of the news, and more of a "happy talk" or discussion show along the lines of Good Day New York for example. Maybe stories that focus more on the community, putting the spotlight on things happening in the communities in and around New York City and its surrounding suburbs and the tri-state area.

It would also be cool to see a new section of the studio used for this show. Perhaps the hosts can stand up rather than sit down etc. Either way, they should make this broadcast more like a breakfast lighthearted format than the traditional hard news because honestly, it's just too much hard news already which is boring so that people have a reason to watch in my opinion.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Vlad said:

As for the 10 AM show, here are my thoughts:

They really have to make this one different from the rest of the broadcasts, because it's a bit crazy to now have a 10 a.m. that is the same mundane format as the 4:30-7:00 a.m. It would be interesting to see WABC go for a different format change for the 10 a.m. show; (new theme, new graphics, new set, etc...) perhaps along the lines of a "Good Day New York" format where there are more live interviews on set, less reading of the news, and more of a "happy talk" or discussion show along the lines of Good Day New York for example. Maybe stories that focus more on the community, putting the spotlight on things happening in the communities in and around New York City and its surrounding suburbs and the tri-state area.

It would also be cool to see a new section of the studio used for this show. Perhaps the hosts can stand up rather than sit down etc. Either way, they should make this broadcast more like a breakfast lighthearted format than the traditional hard news because honestly, it's just too much hard news already which is boring so that people have a reason to watch in my opinion.

Sounds like it will be a lighter and different broadcast based on the promo for it (“Same team. New vibe.”) and how they opted to say “hosted by…” rather than “anchored by” in the press release. 

31 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Sounds like it will be a lighter and different broadcast based on the promo for it (“Same team. New vibe.”) and how they opted to say “hosted by…” rather than “anchored by” in the press release. 

They should’ve went with “Good Morning New York” for the name to differentiate it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I'm wondering how WABC will fare trying to do a lighter broadcast, but then I remember they produce Kelly and Mark, so they should be capable.

Sooner or later, local stations are going to have to find more creative ways like the olden days to feel empty timeslots other than news/light news shows. Local talk shows (which already exist in some markets) are a start. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I still think it's pretty wild and hard to wrap my head around it, that they are considering yet another newscast because just an hour after The View we have Eyewitness News at Noon, yet another hour of news. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the format in particular, but if they want this show to be successful, they ought to spice it up a bit, be a bit more creative and think outside of the box. We honestly do not need another mundane newscast with anchors sitting on a desk reading from a teleprompter, we have enough of that during the weekdays. 

Why should I watch the 10 a.m. show if I know I can watch the 12 p.m. in just an hour? How do you pitch that to the viewers to entice them? What are you going to offer for this hour that is different and unique from the rest of the times I can tune in, let alone go online and watch online and on-demand? How do you attract growing millennials who are constantly online all the time to tune in? Maybe there can be a social media or an online component or viewer participation town hall element to the show. If I were a news producer, I would make it an entirely completely different show with an all-new format. Also, the anchors should use their personalities in the production too. Shirleen and Mike have great personalities, so they can also add some spice to the show. I wouldn't even call the 10 a.m. show "Eyewitness News". I would use a different word mark, and title sequence, something like "Good Morning New York", or "AM New York", or  I dunno; "What Happening Out There New York?"

We also need a show that hones in on the local community efforts, tired of hearing about shootings, violence, crime, and weather. We have enough of these stories during the other shows. Let's hear about this nice restaurant that opened up in the Upper West Side, bringing back the neighborhood eats segment, or this cool new local nonprofit organization that is making a change in the community in Queens, or maybe a new mom-and-pop shop that has opened up out on Long Island. Make an effort to report the good stories that make a positive impact and uplift viewers. No more tragedies, save it for the later broadcasts. It would be nice to see that for a change. Anyway, these are just some ideas, on how they can differentiate this broadcast from the rest. They probably have their ideas set in stone already haha.

Also, the Noon show (which should remain a newscast but with entirely different talent) should be entirely new talent as well, Maybe put Liz Cho or perhaps one of the reporters who anchor the ABC7NY bits at 7:30am on to freshen it up a bit more and remove some of the staleness haha. Even though it's working now for them, sometimes a shakeup can be nice. Or an even bolder move, perhaps keep the Noon broadcast not having a permanent anchor assignment, maybe they can keep it open and have different reporters and anchors each week or something. That within itself can keep that show viable too. 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, I still think it's pretty wild and hard to wrap my head around it, that they are considering yet another newscast because just an hour after The View we have Eyewitness News at Noon, yet another hour of news. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the format in particular, but if they want this show to be successful, they ought to spice it up a bit, be a bit more creative and think outside of the box. We honestly do not need another mundane newscast with anchors sitting on a desk reading from a teleprompter, we have enough of that during the weekdays. 

Why should I watch the 10 a.m. show if I know I can watch the 12 p.m. in just an hour? How do you pitch that to the viewers to entice them? What are you going to offer for this hour that is different and unique from the rest of the times I can tune in, let alone go online and watch online and on-demand? How do you attract growing millennials who are constantly online all the time to tune in? Maybe there can be a social media or an online component or viewer participation town hall element to the show. If I were a news producer, I would make it an entirely completely different show with an all-new format. Also, the anchors should use their personalities in the production too. Shirleen and Mike have great personalities, so they can also add some spice to the show. I wouldn't even call the 10 a.m. show "Eyewitness News". I would use a different word mark, and title sequence, something like "Good Morning New York", or "AM New York", or  I dunno; "What Happening Out There New York?"

We also need a show that hones in on the local community efforts, tired of hearing about shootings, violence, crime, and weather. We have enough of these stories during the other shows. Let's hear about this nice restaurant that opened up in the Upper West Side, bringing back the neighborhood eats segment, or this cool new local organization that is making a change in the community in Queens, or maybe a new mom-and-pop shop that has opened up on Long Island. Good News. No more tragedies, save it for the later broadcasts. It would be nice to see that for a change. Anyway, these are just some ideas, on how they can differentiate this broadcast from the rest. They probably have their ideas set in stone already haha.

Also, the Noon show (which should remain a newscast but with entirely different talent) should be entirely new talent as well, Maybe put Liz Cho or perhaps one of the reporters who anchor the ABC7NY bits at 7:30am on to freshen it up a bit more and remove some of the staleness haha. Even though it's working now for them, sometimes a shakeup can be nice. Or an even bolder move, perhaps keep the Noon broadcast not having a permanent anchor assignment, maybe they can keep it open and have different reporters and anchors each week or something. That within itself can keep that show viable too. 

Dude, it’s just morning TV. There’s not much to analyze about any show on at 10am. It isn’t supposed to be must-see material; it’s something for doctor’s offices and people who work from home to put on in the background.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, nycnewsjunkie said:

Dude, it’s just morning TV. There’s not much to analyze about any show on at 10am. It isn’t supposed to be must-see material; it’s something for doctor’s offices and people who work from home to put on in the background.

Yeah, I totally get that, just sharing some thoughts and ideas to help an ailing industry haha. I mean most of these shows are probably like that nowadays, most people don't sit down and watch the news anymore they either go online to view or stream from their phones.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, I totally get that, just sharing some thoughts and ideas to help an ailing industry haha. I mean most of these shows are probably like that nowadays, most people don't sit down and watch the news anymore they either go online to view or stream from their phones.

No, your original post had valid points. Yes daytime television can be background noise, but there seems to be no effort into making it watchable (while making a profit) these days. Broadcast TV is increasingly becoming a wasteful abyss of programming and it's okay as a viewer to speak on it.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vlad said:

I totally get where you’re coming from though; sorry if I sounded harsh there. It’s just that they’re not going to put more effort than they need to for a 10am newscast for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

• Like 1

Adding a 10AM newscast is purely a business decision. 

Adding another hour of news will cost less than any syndication, which carries heavy fees and ad time splits in major markets. Stations will likely add only a couple of people, who will probably be freelancers. And since there’s no advertising split with syndicators, all the commercial time belongs to the station. 

That’s a very big deal headed into 2024. Election year campaign spending will be off the charts. Because campaigns love to buy time in news shows, that extra hour of news a day will be a bonanza in political ad sales. 

There’s no brain surgery or overthinking required in understanding the 10AM show. It’s dollars. Pure and simple. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MetroCity said:

Adding a 10AM newscast is purely a business decision. 

Adding another hour of news will cost less than any syndication, which carries heavy fees and ad time splits in major markets. Stations will likely add only a couple of people, who will probably be freelancers. And since there’s no advertising split with syndicators, all the commercial time belongs to the station. 

That’s a very big deal headed into 2024. Election year campaign spending will be off the charts. Because campaigns love to buy time in news shows, that extra hour of news a day will be a bonanza in political ad sales. 

There’s no brain surgery or overthinking required in understanding the 10AM show. It’s dollars. Pure and simple. 

I think most of us get this...it just sucks that this is the turn television has taken. The "let's just plug all the programming holes with news" way. Yes tv is a buainess, and I'm all for profitablility, but the all news all day trend with no effort into alternative programming is extreme. Especially in the age of cutting the coard it would be nice if there was good stuff to watch on broadcast but I suppose that's what streaming is for. Anyway this issue is beyond WABC.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Thanks 2

So when is the 10am show premiering? They swapped Tamron Hall to 2pm last week and put Rachel Ray repeats at 10am. Same this week. Next week the schedule shows To Be Announced at 10am. The ads they're running don't have a start date. What's the hold-up? Are they waiting for the Spectrum thing to be settled, so everyone can see it? 

21 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

So when is the 10am show premiering? They swapped Tamron Hall to 2pm last week and put Rachel Ray repeats at 10am. Same this week. Next week the schedule shows To Be Announced at 10am. The ads they're running don't have a start date. What's the hold-up? Are they waiting for the Spectrum thing to be settled, so everyone can see it? 

From the press release, it will start next Tuesday 9/12 (not Monday due to 9/11 coverage).