WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

5 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Normally yeah it ends at noon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do coverage. We're in the streaming days it doesn't have to be broadcast anymore they read the names every year and they've done that since the 1st anniversary, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide ehh we need the revenue, stream it online. It's like if we had TV during Pearl Harbor the Hawaii stations would do coverage for every anniversary for 20 years but then the next generation comes that won't even care unless they learn it in school and most of the families by now who lost loves one's in Pearl Harbor will themselves be old or dying and their descendants won't even care too much because they weren't alive and it was a long time ago. But again every 9/11 anniversary is almost the same why do they need to do coverage every year? It's been 21 years almost 22, I can understand a milestone anniversary like the 20th or the 25th but the next generation will learn it in school or online and descendants of 9/11 victims are not going to have a severe emotional connection it's been long ago that children who lost there fathers now have kids of there own and those kids unless there parents always bring up there grandparents are not gonna care. And kids who dont have relatives who were unalived on 9/11 they're not gonna pay attention and listen to every name of every person that died. The World Trade Center, Washington’s Pentagon, and Shanksville Somerset County, PA killed 2,977 people, that's 2,977 names the future generation isn't gonna want to listen to those names for 3 hours straight.

I don’t see this happening with the NYC stations. There are still so many profound and noticeable impacts of 9/11 all throughout the city some 22 years ago. We’re a long ways off from it becoming a non-event at least in this region. Also consider that the POTUS, VP, state senators, various other dignitaries attend the events. That alone is going to warrant dedicated coverage. 

• Like 5

For most of us in NY/NJ, the events of 9/11 and the aftermath are as clear today as they were on Sept. 12 2001.  Everyone here was impacted one way or another.  If we do not know someone who died in the attack, we know someone who does.  I do not see any of the Big 3 network O&O's backing off the annual reading of the names anytime soon. Cutting in and out as you suggest, would cause a large number of complaints from survivors on why their loved one's name was not mentioned. That would be very difficult for a PR person from each station to explain, including the family of each station's engineer that died when the towers came down.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

True but I wouldn't cover the whole ceremony, maybe cut it in for every ceremonial bell. But I think the reading of the names is insane and lost of ad revenue.

WABC can move Kelly & Mark and The View to 7.2 Localish, but they do a terrible job at promoting that, so it is likely the average viewer may not find it.

WCBS would move the network to WLNY.

Even WNYW, has moved ratings grabber Sherri & Jennifer Hudson in their morning slots to MY9 in the past.

Does WNBC even utilize COZI much as an overflow anymore? I'd be surprised if they did not show Today. It seems the HD feed is not carried anymore, at least on my system. Even with preseason football, they aired the repeated 8pm program overnight, and aired the two hour Dateline on COZI.

Edited by civic110

11 hours ago, MD TV said:

I believe WABC considered making 9/11 memorial coverage online-only one year about a decade ago but there was enough backlash to nix that idea.

Yup they were going to move it to a sub channel I believe maybe at the 11th or 12th anniversary and people went nuts 

Looking at this as humanly as possible, I don't mind stations covering the ceremony every year. I do believe the reading of every name will have to be shortened. Perhaps they can amend the ceremony to have a few families and officials give breif speeches each year?

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, JustinH said:

All the other ABC stations have new graphics. Anyone know what the holdup is at WABC?

Only WLS has the full package, and only KABC and KGO are without the weather portion. The other 5, through various hints, are all very close to full rollout. I can't imagine that the east coast trio aren't aiming to have it ready in time for the new 10am shows on the 11th.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 24994J said:

I can't imagine that the east coast trio aren't aiming to have it ready in time for the new 10am shows on the 11th.

Hopefully!

I love that they've kept the same theme (and largely retained ALOT of talent) over the past twenty-odd years. If they ever update the theme, I'd like them to use some rendition of Cool Hand Luke again. I wish it had stuck around like WPVI's Action News theme.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

I hope this isn't true. It's a 2.5 hour newscast. In that time, the meteorologist is on approximately every 10 minutes for what, about 2-3 minutes a pop, give or take? Why one person can't handle that like all the other stations in America I don't understand. Hell, at some Fox stations, one meteorologist does the entire 4:30-10am morning show (Mike Woods for example at WNYW). Now that to me is a lot for one person, but what do I know?

On 8/26/2023 at 8:03 AM, MediaZone4K said:

Hopefully!

I love that they've kept the same theme (and largely retained ALOT of talent) over the past twenty-odd years. If they ever update the theme, I'd like them to use some rendition of Cool Hand Luke again. I wish it had stuck around like WPVI's Action News theme.

I'm currently good with the same theme. The CHL one is really out of date and doesn't really fit a modern broadcast in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Muppetman03 said:

I wonder how that'll look in the talent open 
If they decide to make another one

Considering less WABC broadcasts have them, at some point I wonder if they just throw up their hands and eliminate the talent opens for good. 

14 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Considering less WABC broadcasts have them, at some point I wonder if they just throw up their hands and eliminate the talent opens for good. 

They’ve actually been making an effort to make them when official changes happen, like Mike Marza joining weekends. 

Usually the only broadcasts that don’t have a talent open are 5pm and 11pm. Talent opens exist for them but aren’t aired for viewer retention. 

33 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

I'm currently good with the same theme. The CHL one is really out of date and doesn't really fit a modern broadcast in my opinion. 

Would you believe tomorrow is the 24th anniversary of when they first used the current theme. That’s some low-key longevity.

Edited by MD TV
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I assume this change also means that Dani will be taking Brittany's spot on weekends? The split is not a bad idea, having 2 mets on staff for 3 broadcasts.

I agree I just feel like having the morning show split is weird. Wouldn’t it make more sense doing the AM and the 10. Then the noon and 4? Or the AM and then the 10 and noon?