WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Seems like succession planning on the weather front more than anything. Jeff remaining on weekend evenings is not an insult to him or his tenure, their weekend PM teams are easily the most respected newscasts outside of the weekday evening broadcasts.

EWN at 5 just promoted tomorrow’s show with Mike in the graphic. Was an official announcement ever made?

• Thanks 1

Still seems weird to now have 4 meteorologists assigned to weekdays (Sam, Brittany, Dani, & Lee) and only 1 (Jeff) on weekends for now. I thought hiring Dani was supposed to alleviate some of burden. That's usually the point of having 5 meteorologists on staff. The channel 7 strategy is very confusing. The only other thing I can think of is Dani taking over weekend mornings for good and only working 2-3 days during the week at 10:00 & Noon 

• Like 1

I think Sam might be featured as a third chair anchor type. Think Sal Castaneda at KTVU. He does traffic in the earlier shows, but is a featured contributor to their 9am hour. Sounds like Dani will handle the 10am weather duties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinH said:

Still seems weird to now have 4 meteorologists assigned to weekdays (Sam, Brittany, Dani, & Lee) and only 1 (Jeff) on weekends for now. I thought hiring Dani was supposed to alleviate some of burden. That's usually the point of having 5 meteorologists on staff. The channel 7 strategy is very confusing. The only other thing I can think of is Dani taking over weekend mornings for good and only working 2-3 days during the week at 10:00 & Noon 

You guys keep forgetting Sam doesn’t do Fridays someone has to fill in those days. That could me I’ll be rotating meteorologists that could explain it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

You guys keep forgetting Sam doesn’t do Fridays someone has to fill in those days. That could me I’ll be rotating meteorologists that could explain it.

Yeah but the thing is the article says that Brittany got promoted to weekday mornings 

Which is kinda confusing 

10 minutes ago, Muppetman03 said:

Yeah but the thing is the article says that Brittany got promoted to weekday mornings 

Which is kinda confusing 

I almost feel the article is missing something or is just wrong. That aside and not to speculate but could Sam also be winding down and maybe just do off camera stuff and special assignments (Weather or Not etc..) and lighter reports and let Brittany do AMs and Dani afternoons? 

• Like 2

So the 10 am will have two meteorologists, or will Dani fill in for Sam when he's off on Fridays? Is Brittany also working with Sam on the AM or is she his Friday fill in? This  press release have been worded a little more clearly. 

My SPECULATION is that Brittany is his morning show substitute, and Danny is his 10 AM sub for when he's off on Fridays.

My question is will the 10 AM be a straight newscast or a fluffy morning show? From what I've seen however, CW and Fox stations with their own news departments (not newscasts produced by a big 3 affiliate) are better at pulling this kind of format off. 

In the case of PIX 11 with a straight news block from 4:30-11am, a 10 AM newscast makes sense. For ABC 7, a 10 AM sandwiched between syndicated programming at 9 and 11 AM, followed by a full hour of news at noon feels odd. I figure they don't want to mess with Kelly&Mark or The View's slots, so why didn't they follow the West Coast trend of a 3 PM?

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

So the 10 am will have two meteorologists, or will Dani fill in for Sam when he's off on Fridays? Is Brittany also working with Sam on the AM or is she his Friday fill in? This  press release have been worded a little more clearly. 

My SPECULATION is that Brittany is his morning show substitute, and Danny is his 10 AM sub for when he's off on Fridays.

My question is will the 10 AM be a straight newscast or a fluffy morning show? From what I've seen however, CW and Fox stations with their own news departments (not newscasts produced by a big 3 affiliate) are better at pulling this kind of format off. 

In the case of PIX 11 with a straight news block from 4:30-11am, a 10 AM newscast makes sense. For ABC 7, a 10 AM sandwiched between syndicated programming at 9 and 11 AM, followed by a full hour of news at noon feels odd. I figure they don't want to mess with Kelly&Mark or The View's slots, so why didn't they follow the West Coast trend of a 3 PM?

Until General Hospital leaves the air, there will never be 3pm newscasts on the east coast ABC stations.

Just now, JustinH said:

Until General Hospital leaves the air, there will never be 3pm newscasts on the east coast ABC stations.

Notice they only have the 10am shows in NY, Philly, & Raleigh, where Rachael Ray leaving (and Tamron moving to 2pm) left the 10 am slot open.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JustinH said:

Don't get me wrong. I love my General Hospital at 3 PM rather than 2. But ABC News is always quick to preempt it so I'm surprised the O&O's care enough to keep GH at 3 o'clock and not push it up an hour to collect the ad revenue.

17 minutes ago, JustinH said:

Notice they only have the 10am shows in NY, Philly, & Raleigh, where Rachael Ray leaving (and Tamron moving to 2pm) left the 10 am slot open.

Yes, which is why I'm surprised they didn't just leave Tamron at 10, push General Hospital up to 2 PM and do a 3 PM newscast.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

ABC wanted schedule synergy among the east coast and central time zone stations. Kelly & Mark @ 9:00, local news @ 10:00, The View @ 11:00/10:00 Central, Local News @ Noon/11:00 Central, GMA3 @ 1:00/Noon central, Tamron Hall @ 2:00/1:00 central, and GH @ 3:00/2:00 central.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JustinH said:

ABC wanted schedule synergy among the east coast and central time zone stations. Kelly & Mark @ 9:00, local news @ 10:00, The View @ 11:00/10:00 Central, Local News @ Noon/11:00 Central, GMA3 @ 1:00/Noon central, Tamron Hall @ 2:00/1:00 central, and GH @ 3:00/2:00 central.

If that's the case, then that makes sense. But I do see GH on at 2ET in several markets.

Edited by MediaZone4K

2 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

I almost feel the article is missing something or is just wrong. That aside and not to speculate but could Sam also be winding down and maybe just do off camera stuff and special assignments (Weather or Not etc..) and lighter reports and let Brittany do AMs and Dani afternoons? 

The TVNewsCheck article relayed the ABC press release, word-for-word.

https://abcotvpress.com/stations/wabc-tv-new-york/releases/abc-owned-television-stations-announce-10-oclock-morning-newscasts-for-abc7-wabc-tv-new-york-6abc-wpvi-tv-philadelphia-andabc11-wtvd-tv-raleigh-durham-stationsbeginning-sept-11/

That said, I do feel like there are some details that still need to be ironed out, namely the potential need to update the noon assignments at both WABC and WPVI, but those things will surely become more clear, down the line.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JustinH said:

Except for the fact that most ABC affiliates on the east coast air GH at 2pm. The O&Os did briefly as well when Katie was at 3pm. 

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The TVNewsCheck article relayed the ABC press release, word-for-word.

https://abcotvpress.com/stations/wabc-tv-new-york/releases/abc-owned-television-stations-announce-10-oclock-morning-newscasts-for-abc7-wabc-tv-new-york-6abc-wpvi-tv-philadelphia-andabc11-wtvd-tv-raleigh-durham-stationsbeginning-sept-11/

That said, I do feel like there are some details that still need to be ironed out, namely the potential need to update the noon assignments at both WABC and WPVI, but those things will surely become more clear, down the line.

WPVI has Sarah at noon, with John Paul filling the vacant chair most of the time. So I don’t anticipate any update needed there. I’m surprised they are bringing in both Nydia and Alyana for 10am, as they are both on weekend AM, so will they move off those newscasts? It also now means they have 10 weekday anchors, 12 if you count Alicia and Christie.

As for WABC, I could see Shirleen moving off the noon, and Liz taking over. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Except for the fact that most ABC affiliates on the east coast air GH at 2pm. The O&Os did briefly as well when Katie was at 3pm. 

WPVI has Sarah at noon, with John Paul filling the vacant chair most of the time. So I don’t anticipate any update needed there. I’m surprised they are bringing in both Nydia and Alyana for 10am, as they are both on weekend AM, so will they move off those newscasts? It also now means they have 10 weekday anchors, 12 if you count Alicia and Christie.

I know we hate anchor line up proposals but the simplest arrangement:

AM & 10am -Mike & Shirleen

Noon, 4pm, 6pm David and Liz

5&11pm Bill & Sade

Edited by MediaZone4K

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

See, I think all of this is stupid. Not you. Stupid that they feel the need to have such an insanely bloated anchor roster, yet refuse to declare the vacant noon chair, and use a weird solo-solo split weekend morning schedule.

But this is all for another thread.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Not true...WABC, WPVI, and WTVD all air GH at 3pm eastern. Has been for awhile now. Even when All My Children and One Life to Live we're still on, GH was always on at 3pm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustinH said:

Not true...WABC, WPVI, and WTVD all air GH at 3pm eastern. Has been for awhile now. Even when All My Children and One Life to Live we're still on, GH was always on at 3pm.

You’re wrong or you’re misreading my previous post. GH was at 2pm on those three stations for a brief period of time (2012-2014) when Katie Couric had her show on at 3pm. 

https://deadline.com/2012/06/general-hospital-to-move-to-new-2-pm-slot-on-september-10-292479/amp/

GH moved back to 3pm on the east coast O&Os and a few other select stations after Katie was canceled.

https://soaps.sheknows.com/general-hospital/news/39759/general-hospital-changing-time-slots/

https://michaelfairmantv.com/general-hospital-to-switch-time-slots-in-some-markets/2014/08/13/

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, TellyGenic said:

The 75 years review was well done, and included visits with past personnel like Doug Johnson, John Johnson and Roseanne Scamardella, as well as greetings from Lori Stokes, Kaity Tong, Ernie Anastos,, Rosanna Scotto and Diana Williams:

https://abc7ny.com/13629943/#

This was missed over all the lineup discussion, but that's the first sighting of Rose Ann in years. She wasn't on the 50th anniversary of EWN stuff in 2018. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, JustinH said:

It's news and entertainment, leisure, and fun and drama for all the stay-at-home moms, and dads, and the elderly.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:06 AM, wabceyewitness said:

It says the 10am show debuts Sept. 11 but I wonder what that means for WABC’s 9/11 memorial coverage. That usually does not conclude until noonish. 

Normally yeah it ends at noon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do coverage. We're in the streaming days it doesn't have to be broadcast anymore they read the names every year and they've done that since the 1st anniversary, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide ehh we need the revenue, stream it online. It's like if we had TV during Pearl Harbor the Hawaii stations would do coverage for every anniversary for 20 years but then the next generation comes that won't even care unless they learn it in school and most of the families by now who lost loves one's in Pearl Harbor will themselves be old or dying and their descendants won't even care too much because they weren't alive and it was a long time ago. But again every 9/11 anniversary is almost the same why do they need to do coverage every year? It's been 21 years almost 22, I can understand a milestone anniversary like the 20th or the 25th but the next generation will learn it in school or online and descendants of 9/11 victims are not going to have a severe emotional connection it's been long ago that children who lost there fathers now have kids of there own and those kids unless there parents always bring up there grandparents are not gonna care. And kids who dont have relatives who were unalived on 9/11 they're not gonna pay attention and listen to every name of every person that died. The World Trade Center, Washington’s Pentagon, and Shanksville Somerset County, PA killed 2,977 people, that's 2,977 names the future generation isn't gonna want to listen to those names for 3 hours straight.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1
  • Angry 1

43 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Normally yeah it ends at noon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do coverage. We're in the streaming days it doesn't have to be broadcast anymore they read the names every year and they've done that since the 1st anniversary, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide ehh we need the revenue, stream it online. It's like if we had TV during Pearl Harbor the Hawaii stations would do coverage for every anniversary for 20 years but then the next generation comes that won't even care unless they learn it in school and most of the families by now who lost loves one's in Pearl Harbor will themselves be old or dying and their descendants won't even care too much because they weren't alive and it was a long time ago. But again every 9/11 anniversary is almost the same why do they need to do coverage every year? It's been 21 years almost 22, I can understand a milestone anniversary like the 20th or the 25th but the next generation will learn it in school or online and descendants of 9/11 victims are not going to have a severe emotional connection it's been long ago that children who lost there fathers now have kids of there own and those kids unless there parents always bring up there grandparents are not gonna care. And kids who dont have relatives who were unalived on 9/11 they're not gonna pay attention and listen to every name of every person that died. The World Trade Center, Washington’s Pentagon, and Shanksville Somerset County, PA killed 2,977 people, that's 2,977 names the future generation isn't gonna want to listen to those names for 3 hours straight.

I don’t know that I agree with this. Maybe you’re not from New York? But that’s a day that literally happened in our own backyard. It was a day that almost everyone.. if not everyone.. was affected and likely knew someone that died. Do I think the reading of the names will continue forever? No. But as long as it does I do feel the local NY stations will carry it. It’s not like it used to be before the 10 year where there was coverage from early morning to late night with replays of the day of the event, but I don’t think it’ll just stop cold on the main channels. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, JustinH said:

That's true. Outside of WPVI airing local news at 4AM, all three stations' schedules will be the same quite literary all day.

Local news from 4:30-7am, GMA from 7-9am, Kelly and Mark at 9, more local news at 10, The View at 11, more local news at Noon, GMA3 at 1, Tamron Hall at 2, GH at 3, local news from 4-6:30, ABC WNT at 6:30, J!/WOF from 7-8, ABC Primetime at 8, final local news at 11, JKL at 11:35, and Nightline at 12:37am. Overnights will be the only difference because, again, WPVI does 4am while WABC and WTVD still start at 4:30am so its one half-hour less of a Jeopardy! repeat for WPVI to start their morning news at the time they start it.

1 hour ago, RealNews18 said:

I don’t know that I agree with this. Maybe you’re not from New York? But that’s a day that literally happened in our own backyard. It was a day that almost everyone.. if not everyone.. was affected and likely knew someone that died. Do I think the reading of the names will continue forever? No. But as long as it does I do feel the local NY stations will carry it. It’s not like it used to be before the 10 year where there was coverage from early morning to late night with replays of the day of the event, but I don’t think it’ll just stop cold on the main channels. 

True but I wouldn't cover the whole ceremony, maybe cut it in for every ceremonial bell. But I think the reading of the names is insane and lost of ad revenue.

• Angry 3