WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 8/9/2023 at 7:52 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

It seems that they plan to put Mike permanently on mornings with Shirleen, but don't want to commit to it just yet. For instance, the promo for EWN this morning & GMA features only Heather, Sam, and Shirleen as the announced anchors, however at the end they show a team shot that features Mike, so it's a subtle inclusion of him.

Also thought it was pretty interesting the last few days the 6pm team has been the entirety of the weekend team (Sandra, Joe, Jeff, and Sam). The 'rule' about Liz never filling in at 11pm seems to apply to Sade never filling in at 6pm.

Can you tell me more about the 11pm Liz rule?

I hope Toni Yates gets Mike's spot on the weekends.

Agree that the 75th anniversary specials have been really nice to see. Some great footage of Grimbsy, Beutel, Johnson, and Williams days. I’m harsh on the EWN style they use but the history of WABC cannot be denied.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MediaZone4K said:

Can you tell me more about the 11pm Liz rule?

I hope Toni Yates gets Mike's spot on the weekends.

Since moving off of the 11pm news 10 years ago, Liz has rarely filled in at 11 and Sade is never on at 6. Not a big deal in the slightest but an observation I’ve noticed as well. It’s especially noticeable when they bring in Sandra, Joe or David for 6pm or 11pm despite Sade being there or vice versa at 11pm when Liz is there. FWIW, Sade seemingly didn’t anchor solo until very recently and she’s just as strong solo as she is with anyone else.

Toni would almost seem like a lock. She and Michelle have great chemistry and she’s been the primary fill-in weekend mornings going back years.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:23 PM, MorningNews said:

I was surprised to see Mike at 11pm after seeing him with Shirleen this morning. Liz came off the 11pm news a decade or so ago and rarely, if ever, appears on the late news. Most times she’ll fill in at 5pm and I’ve seen her fill in at noon but never 11pm.

I wonder when we’ll learn a decision on the morning anchor as Mike and Shirleen are really good together and he’s not been on weekends since Ken left.

Yea but then Mike doing mornings if that happens his wife who also is a morning news anchor but at network I wonder if she might have to leave and go local.

7 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Yea but then Mike doing mornings if that happens his wife who also is a morning news anchor but at network I wonder if she might have to leave and go local.

Have...to...go...local? Why?

Ohhhh, okay. That's fair, but I'm sure they'd be able to handle it. Besides, WNN/ATM anchor is never a long-term position. I thought you were suggesting some kind of conflict of interest in appearing on back-to-back shows.

1 minute ago, 24994J said:

Ohhhh, okay. That's fair, but I'm sure they'd be able to handle it. Besides, WNN/ATM anchor is never a long-term position. I thought you were suggesting some kind of conflict of interest in appearing on back-to-back shows.

True. I thought Shirleen would be a good fit for a role like that she even if I remember announced her third pregnancy one time on the show. And then after she did WABC’s morning news. But I doubt it no personality at channel 7 ever takes a network position it’s almost like a hands off.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Agree that the 75th anniversary specials have been really nice to see. Some great footage of Grimbsy, Beutel, Johnson, and Williams days. I’m harsh on the EWN style they use but the history of WABC cannot be denied.

Loved the tribute, and really loved seeing the former talent, especially those at another station.  

Ritter had an interesting line "the sets improved over the years"... they didn't lol. But their 'meh' on air appearence has not mattered at all in terms of the station success!

I liked WABC's steps layered set concept from the 70s. Wish they'd try a modern take on that when they get this new set/hq that's been mentioned in this thread.

14 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I’ve been harsh on WABC in the recent past too (and probably too harsh in hindsight), but it can’t be overstated that we probably wouldn’t have local news as it exists today without the Eyewitness News format. When it debuted, it must’ve been a complete shock to people who were only used to hearing TV news from a rehearsed, baritone announcer preaching it to them, or from some newsreel. In a city like NY, the format still fits like a glove IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nynewslover2 said:

Was WABC always #1 in the ratings? 

WNBC with Chuck and Sue in the 80s and 90s were the team to beat if my history serves me correctly. 

Actually I believe CBS was #1 at 11. In the 80s. NBC was in early 90s. WABC gained dominance when they picked up Oprah. 5pm on WABC was the newscast in NY. They started to win at 11 in the late 90s and AM when Lori Stokes joined. Since 2000 it’s been a virtual landslide. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

Actually I believe CBS was #1 at 11. In the 80s. NBC was in early 90s. WABC gained dominance when they picked up Oprah. 5pm on WABC was the newscast in NY. They started to win at 11 in the late 90s and AM when Lori Stokes joined. Since 2000 it’s been a virtual landslide. 

I wonder what the local numbers look like now, and who exactly is in last place.

4 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’ve been harsh on WABC in the recent past too (and probably too harsh in hindsight), but it can’t be overstated that we probably wouldn’t have local news as it exists today without the Eyewitness News format. 

All newscasts look virtually smiliar these so its amazing to picture now that the Eyewitness News style was ground breaking. 

@nycnewsjunkie Out of curuosity, what criticisms do you have for WABC.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

I wonder what the local numbers look like now, and who exactly is in last place.

All newscasts look virtually smiliar these so its amazing to picture now that the Eyewitness News style was ground breaking. 

@nycnewsjunkie Out of curuosity, what criticisms do you have for WABC.

I remember criticizing Bill Ritter for making occasional opinionated quips during newscasts. I generally prefer that opinions and commentary be labeled as such and separated from the news, but in hindsight, there are reporters and anchors who have done far worse. Otherwise, Bill’s a good anchor and he’s earned his due.

Also, their quasi-tabloid style can be a bit off-putting for me at times, but it *is* reflective of the area the station serves, and if it’s still popular all these years later, I suppose there’s no reason to fix it.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1

The abc7NY Dominican Day Parade broadcast is the same as last year. No hosts, one camera to the left of the stage, which means there is no full view of the performances, and you frequently have people standing and walking in front of the camera.2023-08-13(4).thumb.png.8fdcd761fa167cd749cec850a8c8e4f5.png2023-08-13(6).thumb.png.08a63718106f616a53baf00a5760e6d5.png
  • Confused 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

57 minutes ago, Muppetman03 said:

ABC announced their 10am newscast for WABC
This article also confirms Mike Marza is being promoted to morning anchor
https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/abc-owned-television-stations-announce-10-a-m-newscasts-for-wabc-wpvi-wtvd/

Also says Brittney Bell is moving to weekday mornings to work with Sam.

1 hour ago, MD TV said:

Also says Brittney Bell is moving to weekday mornings to work with Sam.

The article also says Dani working the 10am? Seems a little overkill to have all 3 in the mornings.. no? Also leaving Jeff on weekends again seems a little unfair as he’s more than deserving of a weekday spot 

• Like 1

They'll probably alternate who works the 10am & Noon. I doubt we'll ever see 3 meteorologists on one newscast on a regular basis, unless there's a big storm 

Edited by JustinH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustinH said:

They'll probably alternate who works the 10am & Noon. I doubt we'll ever see 3 meteorologists on one newscast on a regular basis, unless there's a big storm 

It is overkill, Here in Raleigh there using Kweylin for the new 10am show, she’ll be doing the weather along with the morning and noon, in fact the same anchors are also doing all 3 newscasts.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1

3 hours ago, JustinH said:

I know all 3 won’t be on in one newscast. I’m just saying that if the article is saying Brittany is taking on mornings and Dani is doing the 10am that means they’ll all be in the building at the same time. Sam seems to have very cushy terms so him (not) picking up extra air time wouldn’t shock me. I’m just saying it would make more sense if he did mornings then let’s just say Brittany did the 10am, noon and maybe 4. But the article clearly says Brittany is taking on weekday mornings 

• Thanks 2