WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

One thing that’s nice to see (besides anchor pairings we normally don’t) is seeing specific people anchor that might normally not.. Janice Yu has been anchoring Friday mornings and some weekends. Today was Chantee Lans with Michelle.. nice to see 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, IceManNYR said:
Paul Gerke has come to WABC as a reporter.

And he's gone before he even started. He did not originally have the reason in the post, so it's good (I guess) to know that it wasn't specifically because of him. BTW, he's the fiancé of Katie Corrado from WPIX.

And just like that, I’m back to being a full-time dog dad.

I was just informed that I’ve been let go from WABC on the eve of my debut due to budget constraints.

Paul Gerke (@paulgerketv) | Instagram

Edited by MisterBill

10 hours ago, MisterBill said:

And he's gone before he even started. He did not originally have the reason in the post, so it's good (I guess) to know that it wasn't specifically because of him. BTW, he's the fiancé of Katie Corrado from WPIX.

And just like that, I’m back to being a full-time dog dad.

I was just informed that I’ve been let go from WABC on the eve of my debut due to budget constraints.

Paul Gerke (@paulgerketv) | Instagram

And sadly, there nothing that can be done about it.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:01 AM, MorningNews said:

Former WGN anchor Tom Negovan filing reports for WABC this morning. Last I checked he was with NewsNation.

Anyone heard an official update on him?

Looks like Tom left (or was released) from NewsNation last May/June based on the dates of the reports/stories listed on the 'latest from Tom Negovan' page on NewsNation. Not sure why they parted ways, but glad he landed somewhere.

On Sunday at 1pm, ABC is nationally televising WNBA coverage beginning with the NY Liberty. But, WABC is televising the Puerto Rican Day parade beginning at 12-noon. 

During tonight's 6pm news, they advertised the game will be on WWOR MY9. Interesting choice that they would give it to a FOX owned station when normally they give Monday Night Football to WPIX.

2 hours ago, civic110 said:

Interesting choice that they would give it to a FOX owned station when normally they give Monday Night Football to WPIX.

It's not so much "give" as the ABC O&O has right of first refusal for the Monday Night games. After that, the CW/MyTV/indies of the world effectively "bid" to air the games. I'd imagine a similar procedure is at play, for the WNBA game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

It's not so much "give" as the ABC O&O has right of first refusal for the Monday Night games. After that, the CW/MyTV/indies of the world effectively "bid" to air the games. I'd imagine a similar procedure is at play, for the WNBA game.

Or maybe WPIX passed on it. Not trying to sound sexist, but I am sure the game is not a big ratings draw. 

8 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Or it could be that WPIX had a conflict with a Mets game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think WABC has locally aired a MNF game since a Jets/Eagles game in December 2019.

WPIX isn't showing the Mets on Sunday so they probably thought it wasn't worth grabbing it.

Something I don’t get about WABC (while minuscule) is up until Ken got fired they ran the Friday Morning talent open.. and they run the Friday noon open.. even tho Sam is off Fridays.. last Sunday I was watching I don’t believe they ran a talent open now that Ryan does sports Sundays.. I’m not sure about Fridays at 6 I haven’t seen it lately. Not something the average viewer would notice but just a little irk lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nynewsguy said:

Jim Rosenfield, formerly of WCBS and WNBC - most recently of WCAU was in the building today. Not that it necessarily means anything - but he did a test with Shirleen. 

Interesting…he did say he was moving to NY, and he’d be a great pick up for WABC.

2 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

Jim Rosenfield, formerly of WCBS and WNBC - most recently of WCAU was in the building today. Not that it necessarily means anything - but he did a test with Shirleen. 

Interesting, plus they both have that Philly connection having both come from WPVI & WCAU. 

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I hope he is, but is he going to be Bill Ritter's successor?

No. That would be Mike Marza. When expect Mike to be on weeknights by the fall. Not completely replacing him - just alleviating some of the load.  

Edited by nynewsguy

Just found this article from Pagesix, saying Mike Marza is the likely candidate to replace Ken, but would not put much stock into this: https://pagesix.com/2023/05/23/mike-marza-poised-to-replace-fired-anchor-ken-rosato-at-wabc-7/ 

Either way I do think this will resolve with putting Mike in some weekday slot. Jim Rosenfield would be great in any timeslot. I could see Jim doing one or a few of the evening slots also if they wanted to put David Navarro onto mornings?