WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Just now, ns8401 said:

There could be a thousand reasons why someone would move to a local station from a national one that don’t involve pay. When it comes down to it these are still people and despite the minor fame it works exactly the way it would in literally any other job. 

The minor fame part works out well too because there's less of a public microscope on you. 

10 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Bill Ritter. Liz Cho. Lori Stokes. 

20 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Who would leave network for local news, I’d never do that even it was part time. Unless my contract doesn’t get renewed.

John Muller. Jodi Applegate. Antonio Mora. Tamela Edwards. Jane Robelot. Whit Johnson (Was with CBS network and then went to KCBS). 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Who would leave network for local news, I’d never do that even it was part time. Unless my contract doesn’t get renewed.

Tony Perkins, Derek Mcginty, Bob Ryan, Jeremy Hubbard, Rob Nelson, Mike Barz, Spencer Christian, Bill Beutel, Bill Ritter

Edited by Muppetman03
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think this thread is losing focus and becoming a list.

In the end, an employee was let go for using a slur about a coworker at work (presumably) to another coworker. We can do better than trying to figure out whether the woman deserved to be slurred by her coworker at work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

Local news (especially top 5 markets) provide stability and a great income. Not everyone aspires to be on National Tv News, living out of a suitcase and flying from city to city.

Some would argue you may even get more name recognition as Top 10 Local Anchor at an O&O than being a field reporter at a National News service.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

John Muller. Jodi Applegate. Antonio Mora. Tamela Edwards. Jane Robelot. Whit Johnson (Was with CBS network and then went to KCBS). 

Whit Johnson worked at KNBC; co-anchored Today in LA. His wife, Andrea Fujii, was weekend co-anchor at KCBS/KCAL.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:35 PM, wabceyewitness said:

One of the plus sides of an anchor suddenly leaving a station is you get to see different faces in new places. At WABC, it’s been nice to see Sandra Bookman and David Novarro in the morning on some days. 

Yeah but see Charles Perez wrote a book about channel 7 and the experience he had was terrible, again I know no one there but what if his experiences were true. Also did you work at 777 Columbus Square didn't ya?

• Confused 1
  • Concerned 1

3 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Just caught a morning promo saying to wake up to Shirleen Allicott, Sam Champion, and Heather O'Rourke. Not sure if its newly shot or they simply removed Ken from it. 

The “wake up with..” is not too new, but updated to have Ken edited out. 

A more recent promo (“a new day is a new start! Start new with…”) has also been edited to remove Ken. 

crazy idea: I think WABC shouldn’t replace Ken and should instead elevate Heather and Sam to co-anchors. Go the route of GMA with three anchors and just have Heather and Sam trade off some of the stories with Shirleen being the main “news” person. 

• Like 5

That isn’t a bad idea but channel 7 is such a traditional station in every sense that I can’t see them experimenting with their wildly popular morning program. Especially when they have a deep and talented bench ready to go.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, nynewsguy said:

Listen guys -

I said Ken was fired for cause. What he said wasn’t right. It’s a disgusting word to use, let alone call someone. 
what I said was that SA has been the same person for 20 years. She is not the nicest person. She knows how to be fake.  If she doesn’t feel like she can gain something from you - she’s not very friendly. 

They may play around with Anchor pairings for awhile, but ultimately my money is on someone inhouse already getting it. I would bet Sandra Bookman doesn't want to do mornings permanently. If she wanted off weekends permanently after all these years I'm sure she would have done it either at ABC7 or somewhere else. David Navarro seems to enjoy the Noon & 4:00 schedule. Plus he and Liz started First @ 4 together so I'm sure they take some pride in that. My money is either on Michelle Charlesworth or Mike Marza.

Edited by JustinH

8 hours ago, JustinH said:

They may play around with Anchor pairings for awhile, but ultimately my money is on someone inhouse already getting it. I would bet Sandra Bookman doesn't want to do mornings permanently. If she wanted off weekends permanently after all these years I'm sure she would have done it either at ABC7 or somewhere else. David Navarro seems to enjoy the Noon & 4:00 schedule. Plus he and Liz started First @ 4 together so I'm sure they take some pride in that. My money is either on Michelle Charlesworth or Mike Marza.

The job is Mike Marza’s to lose, unless someone they rotate it has undeniable chemistry. That’s how Ken Rosato got the job (over Jeff Rossen who became the primary sub, and an auditioning Don Dahler), and how Steve Bartelstein moved in from sports to replace Robb Hanrahan as morning news anchor.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

The “wake up with..” is not too new, but updated to have Ken edited out. 

A more recent promo (“a new day is a new start! Start new with…”) has also been edited to remove Ken. 

crazy idea: I think WABC shouldn’t replace Ken and should instead elevate Heather and Sam to co-anchors. Go the route of GMA with three anchors and just have Heather and Sam trade off some of the stories with Shirleen being the main “news” person. 

I’m going to have to agree with @MorningNews; if channel 7 weren’t number 1 in the morning, this would be a fantastic experiment to try out, but right now it would be unwise for them to mess with what works.

I feel like this kind of thing works well as a mid-morning show, though.

45 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m going to have to agree with @MorningNews; if channel 7 weren’t number 1 in the morning, this would be a fantastic experiment to try out, but right now it would be unwise for them to mess with what works.

I feel like this kind of thing works well as a mid-morning show, though.

I feel it’s more likely they would add both Mike and Michelle as co-anchors with Shirleen if they’re switching things up.

• Like 1

Yeah, that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea! They good change the format altogether and make it a softer show like a localized version of GMA for New York only. "Good Morning New York", because quite frankly a hard newscast in the morning is a bit rough and it's kinda boring. I personally want to wake up to something more lighthearted and looser than the structured approach they've been doing for all these years. Maybe they can do that for the upcoming 2023-2024 season and November Sweeps..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea! They good change the format altogether and make it a softer show like a localized version of GMA for New York only. "Good Morning New York", because quite frankly a hard newscast in the morning is a bit rough and it's kinda boring. I personally want to wake up to something more lighthearted and looser than the structured approach they've been doing for all these years. Maybe they can do that for the upcoming 2023-2024 season and November Sweeps..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good Morning, NY - too much like Good Day NY. I'm not against the 3 host format though.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 1:08 AM, JustinH said:

And in David's potition, I wouldn't want give up a mid day shift for 2:00 AM wake ups.

I mean the 3 anchor format in the mornings KABC does it there always number 1 in the mornings. Mike i can see if they don’t take this idea Mike getting the new role. Though 3 would be good Michelle deserves weekdays I kinda hate how they have to compete for a promotion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

I mean the 3 anchor format in the mornings KABC does it there always number 1 in the mornings. Mike i can see if they don’t take this idea Mike getting the new role. Though 3 would be good Michelle deserves weekdays I kinda hate how they have to compete for a promotion.

Los Angeles isn’t New York. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. All those people that tune in expect the same basic product they are getting now. What you are suggesting is like New Coke.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Los Angeles isn’t New York. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. All those people that tune in expect the same basic product they are getting now. What you are suggesting is like New Coke.

I'd generally agree, but there's precedent across the O&O's, regarding 3-anchor morning shows. All in the last 2 years, KABC promoted weekend anchors Gregory & Brown to succeed Brandi Hitt with Leslie Sykes. WLS added Val Warner from 'Windy City Live Weekend' to the 6-8am block. KTRK also brought in Jacob Rascon to anchor from 6 to 8. WABC isn't broke, but there's reason to think they might try something a little different.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:00 AM, 24994J said:

I'd generally agree, but there's precedent across the O&O's, regarding 3-anchor morning shows. All in the last 2 years, KABC promoted weekend anchors Gregory & Brown to succeed Brandi Hitt with Leslie Sykes. WLS added Val Warner from 'Windy City Live Weekend' to the 6-8am block. KTRK also brought in Jacob Rascon to anchor from 6 to 8. WABC isn't broke, but there's reason to think they might try something a little different.

I was more referring to changing the name of the show and the format to be more like GMA… they can play 3rd wheel anchors if they want and probably be ok. I’ll bet there are a lot of rusted in place dials out there that won’t care. 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, ns8401 said:

WTVD is the same if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, we’ve been #1 in the mornings for over 23 years maybe longer but that becasue the 2 anchors have been there for 22 years, and the fill-ins are regular faces because there reporters.