WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I have to imagine that whatever he said warranted WABC’s decision. Were it not, they likely wouldn’t have moved this quick to remove a key part of their highly successful morning show.

Agreed. And the fact that it was caught on a mic means there’s a recording of it that will last forever and they know it will get out at some point.  If they didn’t move quickly, it would be  damaging not just to his reputation but also the station’s reputation and how management views the workplace environment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Agreed. And the fact that it was caught on a mic means there’s a recording of it that will last forever and they know it will get out at some point.  If they didn’t move quickly, it would be  damaging not just to his reputation but also the station’s reputation and how management views the workplace environment. 

The last part is key.  Other employees obviously heard what he said (either by being in the studio or in the control room), and whatever he said must have been deemed inappropriate enough that saying it within earshot of colleagues was grounds for termination, even if it wasn't heard on air.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Yeah…there are ways to address issues with your coworkers, but that’s a first class ticket to the unemployment line in any profession. It’s a shame, but if true, Ch. 7 made the right call.

• Like 5

Shirleen never struck me as a particularly nice or friendly person, but yeah, you can't say that...

Edit: I can see how some might have misread this as justifying Ken's comments, but my intention was the opposite -- I was trying to articulate that even if he didn't get along with her, it is never okay to use a word like the one he allegedly used.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 4

This definitely doesn't seem good for WABC in any way. It is good they took action for Ken, but this is suddenly now giving a lot of attention to Shirleen (again, its NYPost commenters, but it seems like most on the comments are actually defending Ken and blaming Shirleen). I suppose we will see what happens in the coming days and months with arrangements. There's still another longtime morning anchor (and more deserving) that should be in the weekday anchor chair, who's name starts with an M. It would be really cool for Phil Lipof to come back, and reunite with Michelle on weekdays! I feel like that would be quite the strong duo, and viewers have already come to know them. Purely wishcasting, of course. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

There's still another longtime morning anchor (and more deserving) that should be in the weekday anchor chair, whose name starts with an M.

Mike Marza hopefully. Michelle has been around for a long time but she’s easily the station’s least strongest anchor (trying to be kind). 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mountainave said:

Shirleen never struck me as a particularly nice or friendly person, but yeah, you can't say that...

Edit: I can see how some might have misread this as justifying Ken's comments, but my intention was the opposite -- I was trying to articulate that even if he didn't get along with her, it is never okay to use a word like the one he allegedly used.

Wanted to highlight my edit:  I can see how some might have misread my post as justifying Ken's comments, but my intention was the opposite -- I was trying to articulate that even if he didn't get along with her, it is never okay to use a word like the one he allegedly said.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

For additional context: A few weeks ago, WABC's corporate sibling, ESPN, fired reporter Marly Rivera for calling a fellow reporter that very word, which ended up on video 

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/marly-rivera-espn-mlb-ivon-gaete.html

Not to mention, this is coming after Disney is laying off people across the board. 

• Like 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

14 hours ago, mountainave said:

Well that's disappointing if true. Shirleen to me came acorss warm and bubbly on camera. 

Unfortunately, the news --much like the rest of the corperate world-- can be a very fake and two faced industry. 

• Like 4

Wow if that PageSix allegation is true then that is really an utter shame. I'm sure he may have had his reasons for saying that and there are always two sides to every conflict he still handled it in a very horrible way and now this will probably cost him his entire career. 

Kinda sad too for someone at the height of their career to do such a lowball act like that, even if it is something personal they may have with each other, Ken should have never handled it like that. While conflicts amongst colleagues can be inevitable, they should always be approached with a respectful tone and manner. Now we all know that Page Six is known for their tabloid, inflated, and speculative stories so I hope it's not true but nonetheless, that is horrible and such a self-destructive act, even if it was a fleeting moment. If these allegations are true, then he probably won't be hired anywhere else anymore. 

Now recently, Ken and Shirleen did the Holiday Cookoff in December together, and it seemed like their chemistry was impeccable on the air. And now all of these promos that they just did have to be scrapped now, talent opens, graphics, etc, it must be a whirlwind right now to think of all of the things they gotta do, let alone find a new anchor to fill that seat.

If the allegations are true, then WABC did the right thing and we should all stand by their swift action. That kind of disrespect should never be tolerated anywhere regardless of the career you are in. WABC has an integrity that is unmatched anywhere, so they have to uphold that. 

Anyway, I guess that's yet another lesson for all of us:  Regardless of your career, where you are in life, or how high you are, one simple word or insult can tarnish it all. Respect in the workplace, especially during these times is super important, no one should be immune to the repercussions associated with any violation of integrity and respect of colleagues. WABC did right if the allegations are true.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 6

Personally, I never liked Shirleen. She never had that warm and fuzzy feeling that morning anchors are supposed to have. There is a reason why Ken had the job since 2007. I'm hoping the rumors aren't true because that would be a terrible way to go out. It's a safe bet Mike Marza gets the job. He's been auditioning since the day he started!

• Like 2

Yes, different anchor pairings will be tested. 
don’t think that Ken didn’t speak up about Shirleen before walking out. That includes others on staff. While his comment was not appropriate - it’s not untrue. Known SA since Hofstra. Wasn’t a pleasant person 20 years ago and still isn’t. 
warm and pleasant is Sandra Bookman. Shirleen isn’t liked by most. 

2 minutes ago, nynewsguy said:

Yes, different anchor pairings will be tested. 
don’t think that Ken didn’t speak up about Shirleen before walking out. That includes others on staff. While his comment was not appropriate - it’s not untrue. Known SA since Hofstra. Wasn’t a pleasant person 20 years ago and still isn’t. 
warm and pleasant is Sandra Bookman. Shirleen isn’t liked by most. 

I can definitely see that. There was never chemistry like he had with Lori. Sandra seems like the “work mom” that everyone loves. Everyone seemed to have liked Ken as a person it’s sad that it ended this way. Sadly it’s not likely but I wonder if anyone will pick him up at some point 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Seems unfair to turn this ugly incident into a referendum on the woman being slurred here. I think we can do better.

We're all allowed to have our opinions just as you are! The consensus is that Shirleen wasn't very well liked. Not saying she deserved to be called that, if she was. I also feel this is leftover resentment from the way Lori was pushed out for a younger version of her. I think we all wondered why Shirleen was brought in from 6abc in Philly just to do the Noon when Channel 7 at the time had a very stable anchor roster and incredible ratings. Then she started filling in on the morning show more and more. You can't control how viewers feel. And then Lori mysteriously leaves after 18 years with taped goodbye? Always seemed fishy to me!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JustinH said:

We're all allowed to have our opinions just as you are! The consensus is that Shirleen wasn't very well liked. Not saying she deserved to be called that, if she was. I also feel this is leftover resentment from the way Lori was pushed out for a younger version of her. I think we all wondered why Shirleen was brought in from 6abc in Philly just to do the Noon when Channel 7 at the time had a very stable anchor roster and incredible ratings. Then she started filling in on the morning show more and more. You can't control how viewers feel. And then Lori mysteriously leaves after 18 years with taped goodbye? Always seemed fishy to me!

You're blaming someone for getting a promotion?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

The idea that Shirleen pushed and shoved her way up I-95 to dethrone Lori is laughable. Clearly WABC management had some kind of long-term plan to groom a new morning anchor, and if it wasn't Shirleen, it would've been someone else. She's not some homewrecker, and honestly, using the Rosato incident as an excuse to air Allicot grievances just comes across as defending Ken's word(s), even if not the intention.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, JustinH said:

Perhaps things seem fishy to you because you do not have the facts, or care to understand them? Lori did not mysteriously leave with a taped goodbye. They blew out the the last 6 minutes of their newscast for a highlight reel and she said goodbye to viewers live on the air. They also posted her final sign off from EWN on social media. All of that for a person who decided to leave for a gig on a competing morning show. 

And there is no consensus that Shirleen is not well liked, or that she is well liked for that matter. There are a small number of posts by anonymous people claiming they know what type of person she is in real life based on how she appears on television, or claiming to know her from 20 years ago to now. Perhaps there is truth to it or perhaps it’s all made up. There’s nothing verifiable and no data to make any of it a fact let alone a consensus.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

This is getting ridiculous. I’ve not once seen this discourse around Shirleen in the decade she’s been at WABC yet suddenly everyone’s had a negative opinion of her just days after we learned she was called an offensive term.

FWIW, Ken and Shirleen seemed to have a great on and off air relationship. I never got a sense that she was cold to him or vice versa.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2