WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 1/2/2023 at 12:36 PM, Vlad said:

Why did they do it at 10 this year? Was it because they wanted to show more of the countdowns?

All the big three networks moved the local news on New Year’s Eve to 10pm Eastern / 9pm Central.  The networks wanted more time for national entertainment programming leading up to midnight instead of just the 11:30pm ET half hour. 

23 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

All the big three networks moved the local news on New Year’s Eve to 10pm Eastern / 9pm Central.  The networks wanted more time for national entertainment programming leading up to midnight instead of just the 11:30pm ET half hour. 

IIRC ABC also had a problem when they showed Puerto Rico’s countdown last year. Most affiliates cut away to local news, so most of the country completely missed it. Moving the news to 10pm rectified that.

Side note: Happy birthday!

Just now, Geoffrey said:

I think this was Sam Ryan's schedule when she was the lead sports anchor at CBS 2. I seem to remember this being somewhat common at some point but I'm not sure it's still as much of a trend these days.

It's really not unique.  Len Berman on NBC4 works Sunday-Thursday for quite a while now.  I used to live in a different market, most stations had their "A" team of anchors, weather and sports on Sunday through Thursday.

3 hours ago, NowBergen said:

It's really not unique.  Len Berman on NBC4 works Sunday-Thursday for quite a while now.  I used to live in a different market, most stations had their "A" team of anchors, weather and sports on Sunday through Thursday.

Maybe they'll start doing a late Sunday sports show like CBS2 (for the Jets), NBC4 and FOX5 already do? Do any local ABC stations do that? That's also a big reason why the regular sports anchor works on Sunday there. Seems a little odd to make the change after the local football season is over.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, MisterBill said:

Maybe they'll start doing a late Sunday sports show like CBS2 (for the Jets), NBC4 and FOX5 already do? Do any local ABC stations do that? That's also a big reason why the regular sports anchor works on Sunday there. Seems a little odd to make the change after the local football season is over.

I have seen weeknight sports anchor Rob Fukuzaki of KABC in Los Angeles anchor a sports wrap up show following the 11pm newscasts on Sundays for a few years now.

42 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Looks like WABC has ended social distancing with anchors like all other stations and is back to having their anchors in “pre-pandemic” seating 

Does this include weather and sports anchors? Haven’t had a chance to watch in several weeks.

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Does this include weather and sports anchors? Haven’t had a chance to watch in several weeks.

During the weather for the 4:00 news they seem to have brought back the AccuWeather sign wording (idk how to describe it) that you would see next to the meteorologist

4 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

Looks like WABC has ended social distancing with anchors like all other stations and is back to having their anchors in “pre-pandemic” seating 

This was taken during today’s 6pm show. Liz mentioned they gone back to normal seating in 3 years. Plus, Dani Beckstrom (the meteorologist on the right) said this is the first time she has seen Liz Cho’s face up close.

F6A82F81-43E9-4278-AF9E-EA7489E007C1.png

• Like 6

Yay! - its so nice to see them back together again! I noticed at KABC they are still kinda apart, but I guess they have the real estate for that since everything is so spread out in the Southland. 

On 1/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, wabceyewitness said:

According to Ryan Field, he’ll now be working Sundays through Thursdays. In the comments, he says this was his decision. 

3958DC4F-F011-4E62-B34A-8814E2C894BD.jpeg

Very small and slightly ridiculous nitpick but I really wish they’d do a Friday alternate 6pm open that features Sam and similarly one featuring Ryan for Sundays.

It’s always annoyed me that Sam is in the talent open morning and noon talent opens on Fridays despite technically having that day off every week.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Very small and slightly ridiculous nitpick but I really wish they’d do a Friday alternate 6pm open that features Sam and similarly one featuring Ryan for Sundays.

It’s always annoyed me that Sam is in the talent open morning and noon talent opens on Fridays despite technically having that day off every week.

As for Sam C on Fridays, it is technically his shift, but he has the day off. Probably similar thinking for the sports team.

Over on WPVI, there was a few years where Sarah had added Sunday evenings to her schedule leading her to have Fridays off (with a few rare exceptions), but she was still listed in the open, and her co-anchor continued to say Sarah’s off.

15 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

As for Sam C on Fridays, it is technically his shift, but he has the day off. Probably similar thinking for the sports team.

Over on WPVI, there was a few years where Sarah had added Sunday evenings to her schedule leading her to have Fridays off (with a few rare exceptions), but she was still listed in the open, and her co-anchor continued to say Sarah’s off.

They could simply do a non talent open on days when those anchors are off.

• Like 1