WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 10/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, nynewsguy said:

Yes. From WPVI. How do you think Shirleen got her job?  

Camille Edwards worked at WPVI from 1997-2003. Shirleen worked there from 2010-2015. There was no overlap. The only thing about WPVI that helped Shirleen get her job was that she did a great job at an ABC O&O close to home and it was easy for management in New York to notice her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

As I mentioned in the WPIX thread, I was fortunate enough to visit LA a few weeks ago. Just like how KTLA has an advantage over WPIX in terms of looks, KABC had a beautiful clean graphics package that I wish WABC could adopt. It would make them watchable. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 24994J said:

It's being worked on.

I know it gets its share of critics #onhere, but I don't hate the current WABC look. It's simple (without being too simple), clean, and well-executed. Not everything has to be elaborate and splashy. 

(Of course, there was the NEWS YORK'S #1 NEWS incident, but...)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I strongly disagree. WABC’s on-air look is awful - very disjointed and clunky although the color scheme isn’t terrible. I remember being shocked when I learned here that the package wasn’t built in-house.

Their graphics package and set are arguably the worst in the market to me. 

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I strongly disagree. WABC’s on-air look is awful - very disjointed and clunky although the color scheme isn’t terrible. I remember being shocked when I learned here that the package wasn’t built in-house.

Their graphics package and set are arguably the worst in the market to me. 

Totally agree. WABC would be even stronger with a cleaner on air look. WCBS, WNJU and maybe WNYW aside, the remainder of the market's sets aren't that great. 

On 11/29/2022 at 10:41 AM, Roadgeek Adam said:

I am not a fan of KABC's chiron package.  This WABC one isn't that great, but I've learned to live with it. 

That said, as noted, there is change coming, but it's believed to be a universal ABC O&O one. 

I think KABC's package is cleaner and I have always preferred their package better. I wish WABC adopted it but it seems all the west coast flagships adopted it. (KFSN and KGO adopted variations on these graphics as well).

Is it the same company that designed WABC's current look or is it different?

The Giant Octopus package they had (2012 to late 2016) will always be their best look in my opinion.

Best,

Vlad

On 12/1/2022 at 5:52 PM, Vlad said:

I think KABC's package is cleaner and I have always preferred their package better. I wish WABC adopted it but it seems all the west coast flagships adopted it. (KFSN and KGO adopted variations on these graphics as well).

Is it the same company that designed WABC's current look or is it different?

The Giant Octopus package they had (2012 to late 2016) will always be their best look in my opinion.

Best,

Vlad

Agreed that that west coast ABC's look far better. 

Their late 00s package was the cleanest to me:

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ABC is showing five straight basketball games starting at noon on Christmas Day with no news breaks. So the newsroom gets the day off after the early morning broadcasts. That's one way to avoid having to get people to work on the holliday.

Edited by MisterBill

7 hours ago, MisterBill said:

ABC is showing five straight basketball games starting at noon on Christmas Day with no news breaks. So the newsroom gets the day off after the early morning broadcasts. That's one way to avoid having to get people to work on the holliday.

That’s not really how it works.

First, ABC doesn’t program sports just to “avoid having to get people to work on the holiday”. I’m hoping that was meant to be funny, but it comes off as naive.

Second, the newsroom does not get the day off. It still has weekend staffing. That includes assignment editors, reporters and photographers working on stories for the late news. A skeleton staff of producers, editors, writers, directors, on-air talent and technical people will still be scheduled during the day, in case of an emergency or breaking news. They won’t have a lot to do, but they’ll still be there, just in case. Small market stations might not do that, but at WABC, and I’m sure most other major market stations, that’s the way it works.

Newsrooms everywhere get a staffing break when Christmas falls on a weekend, because weekends always have skeleton staffs, compared to weekdays. So, Christmas scheduling on a Sunday is easier, even without sports to fill the day. 

By the way, the people who went to work at 11PM on Christmas Eve, in miserable weather, to put together the morning show on Christmas Day probably don’t feel like the newsroom got the day off. Neither will the people who have to go to bed at 3PM on Christmas Day, so they can do the Monday morning show.

Edited by MetroCity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

For tonight’s 6pm, Sade Baderinwa filled in for Sandra Bookman and joined the rest of the regular weekend night crew. I’m assuming they’ll be on at 10pm as well.

Is this the first NYE they are on at 10? I remember in the past they were on at 11 but reduced to 30 minutes (instead of 35 minutes for weekday or 60 minutes for weekend)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abc7 Man said:

Is this the first NYE they are on at 10? I remember in the past they were on at 11 but reduced to 30 minutes (instead of 35 minutes for weekday or 60 minutes for weekend)

First time in my recollection. All big 4 stations are on with news at 10pm ET this year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...