WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Notice that the new weekend open has the talent against studio backdrops and not the plain white background of the other opens… also they skipped the “team shot” at the end of the open.  If I had to guess, they threw this together based off recently filmed promo material or recently filmed material for the upcoming graphics update.  If the latter is the case, no clue why they wanted to get this to air quickly unless they’re not expecting the full O&O graphics rollout to them for a few more months. 

• Like 1

Note, this is the first time in 20-plus years that the co-anchors aren't intro'd in the same shot, which is surely a distancing measure. That said, these exact same shots could be spliced into the new graphics. Assembling these opens should be a fairly simple cut & paste job.

[Station ditches talent opens]

"Booooooo, they suck! No sense of tradition!"

[Station updates talent opens]

"Booooooo, not good enough! These are crap!"

This new open is absolutely fine. The fact that they're using existing shots makes keeping talent opens a more viable option, in the future.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, 24994J said:

[Station ditches talent opens]

"Booooooo, they suck! No sense of tradition!"

[Station updates talent opens]

"Booooooo, not good enough! These are crap!"

This new open is absolutely fine. The fact that they're using existing shots makes keeping talent opens a more viable option, in the future.

I mean, these particular talent opens aren’t going to be around for very long anyway, so this is much ado about nothing imo.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Mike Marza was in for Bill tonight. Has he anchored the weekday 6pm newscast before?

Can’t remember seeing him anchor 6pm but he’s done the 11pm a number of times. 

Has Sade ever anchored 11pm solo? The reason is likely going way over my head but it seems they always use the most odd fill-in dynamics for Bill at 11pm though when Sade is off, Bill or his fill-in are usually solo. Also have never seen Sade fill in at 6pm though she often fills in on First@Four.

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Can’t remember seeing him anchor 6pm but he’s done the 11pm a number of times. 

Has Sade ever anchored 11pm solo? The reason is likely going way over my head but it seems they always use the most odd fill-in dynamics for Bill at 11pm though when Sade is off, Bill or his fill-in are usually solo. Also have never seen Sade fill in at 6pm though she often fills in on First@Four.

6pm is anchored solo unless Sandra is in specifically for Liz @ 4 - then she will join Bill at 6. 

Sade prefers not to anchor alone, so David will generally join her at 11 in Bills absence. 

Mike has been in for Bill at 5 a lot this summer. This is not by accident. 

8 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

6pm is anchored solo unless Sandra is in specifically for Liz @ 4 - then she will join Bill at 6. 

Sade prefers not to anchor alone, so David will generally join her at 11 in Bills absence. 

Mike has been in for Bill at 5 a lot this summer. This is not by accident. 

Hmm.. Could they be trying something? Haha. Perhaps maybe lightening Bill's workload so he's only on the 6 and 11 and Mike Marza taking over the 5?...

On 8/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Newsfan said:

It’s about time. I wish they would do that for the 5 & 11pm newscasts

Wonder what the new graphics will be for talent. Now they need to start oh running for 5pm/11pm News why Dont they?

They have 5pm & 11pm weekday talent opens but stopped running them many years ago as a way save time and retain viewers during the transition from the 4pm to 5pm news and from prime time to the 11pm news.  

They did bring back the 5pm talent open for one week in September 2019 as a nod to Diana Williams who was retiring that week. 

5 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

They have 5pm & 11pm weekday talent opens but stopped running them many years ago as a way save time and retain viewers during the transition from the 4pm to 5pm news and from prime time to the 11pm news.  

They did bring back the 5pm talent open for one week in September 2019 as a nod to Diana Williams who was retiring that week. 

Plus the 5 & 11 o’clock newscasts tend to be move faster than the other shows since they don’t banter with weather before or after the forecast since COVID.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:52 PM, Vlad said:

I feel like Talent opens are a thing of the past though now. If i'm not mistaking, I think only WABC does talent opens the rest of the stations don't have them.

Talent opens are like lengthy old TV theme songs. It adds something to the program. i'm glad WABC still does them. But as someone pointed out earlier, it's hard to retain talent opens when station anchor lineups get unstable.

6 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Sam Champion was just announced as part of the cast of Dancing With The Stars. 

Well now we know why WABC needed to hire another meteorologist.  Sam will be busy dancing in L A (at least for a little while, I don’t see him lasting very long in the competition) rather than reporting the weather in NYC or lounging on the beach in Miami.

1 hour ago, TellyGenic said:

Well now we know why WABC needed to hire another meteorologist.  Sam will be busy dancing in L A (at least for a little while, I don’t see him lasting very long in the competition) rather than reporting the weather in NYC or lounging on the beach in Miami.

I doubt that’s why they hired another meteorologist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/8/2022 at 6:40 PM, MorningNews said:

DWTS has never had real celebrities but how desperate were they??

I read some comments online from people who were excited about this year's mix. I'm not (didn't even look at the entire list), but given that it's now on Disney+, I wouldn't be watching it anyway.

I've watched all 30 seasons, but won't be following it to D+. If the previous hosts hadn't been replaced, I might sign up, just for season 31. As someone who doesn't have his head under a rocked, I'd always be familiar with all but 1 or 2 cast members, every season, even if only by basic name recognition. This season's crop features 5(!) individuals who I've NEVER heard of. If my awareness is any barometer, this year's cast is a step down.

Anyway...

• Like 1