WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 7/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, 24994J said:

Last I checked, WABC offers the fewest hours of weekday news of the O&O's, with the only known additions being at 6:30pm, and what, maybe 30 minutes after 7am? (Someone correct me on that.) 

That's not necessarily a bad thing. News overkill is done to the death on alot of stations with nothing but repeats, fluff and the same stories every other station is doing. Then again I suppose the point of more hours of news is not to get the same audience watching continuously for hours but the ability to have different audiences tune in at multiple points during the day for news at almost any time of day.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Meteorologist Dani Beckstrom will make her on-air debut at WABC on Thursday’s noon newscast. 

Watching her debut right now and she’s incredibly solid. Some technical difficulties with her mic falling off during the forecast but she handled it flawlessly. Fits right in. 

SIAP but is she just going to be a fill in? I’d like to see WABC follow the model that other O&Os take with 3 mets splitting morning, afternoon, evening forecasts. Brittany could easily move to 12/4pm while Lee handles 5/6/11pm. Sam keeps the morning and network stuff, Jeff and Dani handle Sat/Sun. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Watching her debut right now and she’s incredibly solid. Some technical difficulties with her mic falling off during the forecast but she handled it flawlessly. Fits right in. 

SIAP but is she just going to be a fill in? I’d like to see WABC follow the model that other O&Os take with 3 mets splitting morning, afternoon, evening forecasts. Brittany could easily move to 12/4pm while Lee handles 5/6/11pm. Sam keeps the morning and network stuff, Jeff and Dani handle Sat/Sun. 

That seems like the most likely outcome, given the gradual increase in news hours at WABC (and all the other stations for that matter.) WNBC does that right now with Maria LaRosa (morning), Dave Price (midday/4pm), and Janice Huff (night), and I’m surprised it’s taken this long for WABC to follow suit. Also, it allows for more flexibility on days when Sam Champion is either working for the network or down in Miami.

12 hours ago, Colortini said:

I would think Jeff would get the promotion, should he want it to do Noon/4pm, since he’s been there a while now. I guess we’ll see what pans out. 

He very well could and absolutely deserves it if he wants. I think WABC prioritizes their weekend PM crew as somewhat of an institution that is equally as important as the Bill and Sade. Joe and Sandra have been anchoring weekend evenings for 20 years. 

• Like 2

National Dominican Day Parade broadcast on abc7NY is very odd. There are no hosts, the broadcast is one camera,  you can't see the performance stage, which is to the right of the camera, and people are standing in front of the camera.image.thumb.png.d595cd508c298360f46076314ed8b6ed.pngimage.thumb.png.42043de3fc354304965303dcbef66b31.png

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

National Dominican Day Parade broadcast on abc7NY is very odd. There are no hosts, the broadcast is one camera,  you can't see the performance stage, which is to the right of the camera, and people are standing in front of the camera.image.thumb.png.d595cd508c298360f46076314ed8b6ed.pngimage.thumb.png.42043de3fc354304965303dcbef66b31.png

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they aired this on Ch. 7 proper, just on streaming. Still, you’d think they’d at least get a better angle of the parade.

58 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they aired this on Ch. 7 proper, just on streaming. Still, you’d think they’d at least get a better angle of the parade.

Correct, it was only streamed on abc7NY, which would explain why they did not do a full broadcast.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Colortini said:

I would think Jeff would get the promotion, should he want it to do Noon/4pm, since he’s been there a while now. I guess we’ll see what pans out. 

I would think so too as he is most deserving and probably my favorite on the weather team, but I’m thinking of the optics of it. Is it a good idea to have the three men weekdays and the two women on weekends?

4 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I would think so too as he is most deserving and probably my favorite on the weather team, but I’m thinking of the optics of it. Is it a good idea to have the three men weekdays and the two women on weekends?

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. All this. ⬆️

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

I feel like Talent opens are a thing of the past though now. If i'm not mistaking, I think only WABC does talent opens the rest of the stations don't have them.

Yeah, most of the NYC stations had retired the talent opens by the mid 2000s, WNBC retired theirs when they returned to the News 4 New York name in 2007.

42 minutes ago, NYTV said:

Yeah, most of the NYC stations had retired the talent opens by the mid 2000s, WNBC retired theirs when they returned to the News 4 New York name in 2007.

It’s hard to have a talent open when you don’t have any stability. Things have stabilized at WCBS, but for time people were coming and going or being reshuffled every other book. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

I feel like Talent opens are a thing of the past though now. If i'm not mistaking, I think only WABC does talent opens the rest of the stations don't have them.

That is true.  It would seem like WABC must not be motivated in making that change.  WNBC retired their talent intros in their main news opens 15 years ago.  The majority of other local TV stations across the country ended that practice back in the mid 90s.

Other than WABC... WPVI has introduced their talents in their main news openings, although I see them scaling back on it in certain newscasts.  WPVI could opt for simple "Live with the Delaware Valley's Leading News Program.  Channel 6 Action News starts now."  News opening retain visuals of Delaware Valley surroundings and MCTYW music.

WLS did talent introductions in their main openings, which has also since been changed a few years ago to simple news opening and talent montage piece when the newscast goes to or returns from its first commercial.