WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

17 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Bill mentioned two sports anchors were on vacation and the other was out sick, so Mike Marza, who is anchoring in the morning, was in to do the sports report.

Bill, Liz and Lee handled sports at 6pm, with a cameo from vacationing Ryan Field. 

https://www.facebook.com/BillRitterABC7/videos/when-ryan-field-is-on-vaca-and-sam-ryan-is-sick-the-rest-of-the-team-kicks-in-on/5146143688838296/

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Bill mentioned two sports anchors were on vacation and the other was out sick, so Mike Marza, who is anchoring in the morning, was in to do the sports report.

Bill, Liz, and Lee shared sports for the 6pm, to rather hilarious results. They actually did a decent job (even if Lee is a closeted Celtics fan,) though I imagine Ryan Field’s job security is intact.

EDIT: @wabceyewitness beat me to it at the exact same time. Apologies for the redundancy.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

17 hours ago, cg41386 said:

Lee Goldberg is doing weather from his backyard, and his dog was just on.

He's done this on and off during the pandemic.  It's a nice touch, especially on Fridays, and he has a beautiful backyard from which to do it. 

I do wonder what the contingency plan is if there are signal or connectivity issues.  Not sure if there is another meteorologist in the newsroom on those days, or if they would have Lee call in via phone and talk over the maps, or if they'd  just put up the 7 day forecast and have the anchors read it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

image.thumb.png.f884001dea06ca31783d3a0f32b38066.png
Bill has returned to the studio.

I wonder if/when the stations will return to normal seating at the desk.. seems like WNBC has somewhat returned.. WCBS has gone back and forth.. but with almost all restrictions now lifted I wonder when the stations will go back? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, nynewslover said:

I wonder if/when the stations will return to normal seating at the desk.. seems like WNBC has somewhat returned.. WCBS has gone back and forth.. but with almost all restrictions now lifted I wonder when the stations will go back? 

they’re not even back to having everyone in the actual newsroom fully in person. There are still people working remotely, some not even in the NYC area and some reporters who haven’t been inside the station more than two or three times since the March 2020 lockdown.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 12:45 AM, MorningNews said:

That’s surprising. Wonder if she plans to stay in TV.

Based on comments on her instagram from other journalists, sounds like she is staying in the business. Probably getting an anchor position in another market. 

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

Based on comments on her instagram from other journalists, sounds like she is staying in the business. Probably getting an anchor position in another market. 

Kirstin Cole posted a farewell and said that she was moving closer to her family.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

This was my thought as well.  I'd expect her to show up as an anchor or anchor/reporter in a slightly downmarket DMA.

For those wondering when WABC might get new graphics. ABC is switching to a shared graphics package for all their O&O stations.

ABC Chicago’s WX graphics first piece of new group design mandate

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2022/06/29/abc-7-chicago-new-weather-graphics-preview/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialpost

• Like 2

I'm sure these graphics will be a big improvement from the current look once they roll out! Also I wonder if they will be in the works for a new studio- it is starting to look dated compared to many other stations ; I wonder if the new "remote studio" Bill was in a while back is part of a plan to upgrade the main studio...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I'm sure these graphics will be a big improvement from the current look once they roll out! Also I wonder if they will be in the works for a new studio- it is starting to look dated compared to many other stations ; I wonder if the new "remote studio" Bill was in a while back is part of a plan to upgrade the main studio...

I would think with a new ABC Broadcast Center being built, they would not invest in a new studio until the move in a year or two.

• Like 2

Until the graphics debut, there is zero reason why it deserves its own discussion in the individual station threads. Besides, WABC's inability to be trusted with their own look is one of the reasons why a group-wide package is necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

For those wondering when WABC might get new graphics. ABC is switching to a shared graphics package for all their O&O stations.

ABC Chicago’s WX graphics first piece of new group design mandate

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2022/06/29/abc-7-chicago-new-weather-graphics-preview/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialpost

These look really nice, clean and professional.

The in-house team that designed the current graphics being used at WABC should be arrested. 

It's like all the weather graphics at every station are growing up. Long gone are the days where we see the 5 day forecast with the sun wearing sunglasses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, kshow said:

She's going to WSB (ATL).

Is this confirmed? 

9 hours ago, NYNews said:

The in-house team that designed the current graphics being used at WABC should be arrested. 

WABC’s on-air look is a special kind of bad, easily the worst in the market. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Is this confirmed? 

WABC has always struggled graphics and studio wise but their current look is just bad.

Even their 90s L3's had a pixelated look about them that was below the compeition:

Screenshot_20220630-195625_YouTube.jpg

Edited by iron_lion

5 hours ago, mountainave said:

Just noticed a posting for a weather anchor on WABC's jobs page.  Not sure if it's a stale listing or an active one.

It was posted back in February, which is interesting since that is well after Brittany Bell joined the station. I don’t think Lee Goldberg is going anywhere. Perhaps Jeff Smith is departing, or Sam Champion signed a 3 year deal back in 2019 and is heading toward retiring or lighter workloads. 

On 6/30/2022 at 4:50 AM, MorningNews said:

Is this confirmed? 

Shirleen posted it, looks like she may have deleted it.