WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

17 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

Live with Kelly and Ryan is a WABC production and so it could have been a control room issue. WABC has only one control room and from 8 to 10 a.m. Live has use of the control room. That's why the GMA local cut-ins on WABC are done in the newsroom instead of their news studio. Heck, for 20+ years the Live set and the Eyewitness News set shared the same studio. I mention this because it could have played a role in WABC's decision to go on-air with a special report. I'll be interested to see the new set up once they move downtown. 

This problem was resolved long ago. A news control room was built at least five years ago when the station completely overhauled and remodeled the engineering floor. Live is not automated. It still does TV the old-fashioned director/TD, full switcher and audio board way. On the other hand, the news is fully coded and automated. So, the two control rooms are very different.

There might be other reasons behind the WABC response. But the control room is not one of them.

• Sad 1

WABC did do a brief update at the top of the 7pm hour saying they were awaiting the news conference and that it would stream online. That said, I’m pretty disappointed that they felt airing Jeopardy was more important. Obviously most news conferences are not something you interrupt programming for to carry live, but this was an emergency presser where new information was released that served the public.  

At the very least, WABC could have ran a breaking news crawl directing viewers to ABC7NY.com, but they didn’t even do that. 

It’s moments like this that your regular viewers and those that tune to you for breaking news depend on you to be on air and it’s your chance to showcase your commitment to serving the public. WABC gets credit for being on air most of the morning but dropped the ball in the 7pm hour. 

• Like 1

The decision to be the only station not carrying the presser looks pretty bad. It reminds me of their fail last summer when strong storms moved through the tristate area. Train stations were flooded and the MTA service completely suspended stranding passengers all across the city and WABC still went to Jimmy Kimmel Live lol. Their closing image was passengers stranded at Times Square station followed with “we’ll see you at 4:30am.”

Sam Champion has to be reading this board because today he doubled down on his wardrobe. I don’t mind it personally but they have to be intentionally having him dress down right?

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

The decision to be the only station not carrying the presser looks pretty bad. It reminds me of their fail last summer when strong storms moved through the tristate area. Train stations were flooded and the MTA service completely suspended stranding passengers all across the city and WABC still went to Jimmy Kimmel Live lol. Their closing image was passengers stranded at Times Square station followed with “we’ll see you at 4:30am.”

Sam Champion has to be reading this board because today he doubled down on his wardrobe. I don’t mind it personally but they have to be intentionally having him dress down right?

This board has been around for a while so Im sure a lot of talent reads them. :)

Best,

Vlad

22 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Toni Yates posted on IG that she’s quarantined with COVID..

Yes, and Liz Cho came back today and acknowledged that she and her family had Covid, and they were rather bad cases (but obviously not hospitalization level bad, but also not mild cold level as many have reported getting).

Edited by MisterBill

Nice! So cool to see a radio personality on TV. Sonia Rincon is amazing, always love hearing her voice when she would anchor and or report on the 1010 WINS broadcasts. Nice to see a face to that. I wish her the best at WABC. 

• Like 2

Pretty good get just after 6am this morning by Josh Einiger who was reporting live near the Poland-Ukraine border as Cardinal Dolan returned to Poland after a surprise trip into Ukraine. WABC dumped most of their 6am A block so Eineger could speak live with the cardinal right after he got out of the car transporting him. The breaking news report lasted about 7 minutes. 

https://abc7ny.com/josh-einiger-poland-russia-ukraine/11801114/

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Pretty good get just after 6am this morning by Josh Einiger who was reporting live near the Poland-Ukraine border as Cardinal Dolan returned to Poland after a surprise trip into Ukraine. WABC dumped most of their 6am A block so Eineger could speak live with the cardinal right after she  got out of the car transporting him. The breaking news report lasted about 7 minutes. 

Interviewed him live at noon on Friday as well.. Josh is doing an awesome job over there 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2022 at 7:57 AM, wabceyewitness said:

Pretty good get just after 6am this morning by Josh Einiger who was reporting live near the Poland-Ukraine border as Cardinal Dolan returned to Poland after a surprise trip into Ukraine. WABC dumped most of their 6am A block so Eineger could speak live with the cardinal right after he got out of the car transporting him. The breaking news report lasted about 7 minutes. 

WABC was not the only station who sent reporters in advance and during the Cardinal’s trip. 

26 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

WABC was not the only station who sent reporters in advance and during the Cardinal’s trip. 

Yes, I was going to mention this. Morning anchor Michael Garguilo was there for WNBC. Not sure how their reports differed.

Edited by MisterBill

ABC 7 now has its Long Island bureau at Hofstra University.

Years ago, CBS 2 has its Long Island bureau here. It was originally a private office in the communications building, but the bureau chief was later moved into the school's radio station office/newsroom. No flash cam position or anything like that. As a student and member of WRHU, I would often see the bureau chief working and making phone calls while the students were having fun being kids.

Years after CBS 2 moved out, Hofstra kept the CBS 2 Long Island Bureau signage up to impress tour groups going through.

https://abc7ny.com/wabc-long-island-bureau-hofstra-hempstead/11817787/ 

• Like 4

WABC has an oddity going on right now. I heard a sports game (basketball, I guess) being broadcast at the same time as their evening newscast. Very weird. 

Just stopped. But it went on for a couple of minutes, started during commercials. 

Edited by MisterBill

4 hours ago, MisterBill said:

WABC has an oddity going on right now. I heard a sports game (basketball, I guess) being broadcast at the same time as their evening newscast. Very weird. 

Just stopped. But it went on for a couple of minutes, started during commercials. 

Yep noticed this too, it was the last 2 minutes of the preceding Boston vs Bucks playoff game that had just aired. I partly thought I was having streaming issues but guess it was a WABC malfunction.