WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Seems as though the wild technical issues at channel 7 persist today. GMA3 is airing instead of Eyewitness News at Noon. I knew something was up when they went to commercials immediately after The View instead of the news as usual.

Cut back to the noon news already in progress at 12:03.

Edited by MorningNews

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:54 PM, nynewslover said:

Liz Cho posted on Twitter that’s “she’s ok but will be out for a bit” seems like something going on with the family. Hoping everything/everyone is ok.. 

Liz was back today. My wife was watching and said that no mention was made of why she was out, but she was obviously given a warm welcome back.

1 hour ago, MisterBill said:

Liz was back today. My wife was watching and said that no mention was made of why she was out,

Why the hell would anyone think that they'd even remotely hint at the apparent collapse of her marriage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Why the hell would anyone think that they'd even remotely hint at the apparent collapse of her marriage?

Her marriage with Josh Elliott? I initially thought about this when she was absent but then I saw recent tweets and posts from her about her loving husband which made me reconsider. Hope everything’s ultimately alright with them.

51 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Her marriage with Josh Elliott? I initially thought about this when she was absent but then I saw recent tweets and posts from her about her loving husband which made me reconsider. Hope everything’s ultimately alright with them.

There was speculation l however I don’t think it’s true. Liz answered at tweet at one point that nobody had Covid and she was taking time off while her daughter transitions to a new school. 

8 hours ago, 24994J said:

When, hopefully it's not true, but either way, it is nobody's business what "family" thing kept her off the air.

If it were another public figure such as an actor who takes a leave of absence from a TV show or a singer who cancels concert dates, the press would speculate and demand answers as to the cause.  There’s often a double-standard in television news when it comes to on-air talent, who are public figures, and their lives. Suddenly, the newsroom decides to respect a person’s privacy to the point of not even acknowledging anything has occurred. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 4

On 3/30/2022 at 7:59 AM, wabceyewitness said:

If it were another public figure such as an actor who takes a leave of absence from a TV show or a singer who cancels concert dates, the press would speculate and demand answers as to the cause.  There’s often a double-standard in television news when it comes to on-air talent, who are public figures, and their lives. Suddenly, the newsroom decides to respect a person’s privacy to the point of not even acknowledging anything has occurred. 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:12 PM, 24994J said:

When, hopefully it's not true, but either way, it is nobody's business what "family" thing kept her off the air.

I was wondering where Liz was so I understand public curiosity. In her position however, I'd do the same. Keeping my business private, and give a bland answer to explain my absence. I'd want the public more concerned with my journalistic work than my personal life. 

Edited by iron_lion

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

I was wondering where Liz was so I understand public curiosity. In her position however, I'd do the same. Keeping my business private, and give a bland answer to explain my absence. I'd want the public more concerned with my journalistic work than my personal life. 

FTVLive said it was Josh Elliot and her have broken up. She has even left the house they had together.

23 hours ago, nynewslover said:

The lighting of the overall set seemed off too me.. it also looked like they are slightly less social distancing.. 

Its very dark blue for a daytime newscast. This would more fly for anything 5-11 pm.

Again, WABC is good at news but their visual presentation has never been strong.

Edited by iron_lion

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Its very dark blue for an daytime newscast. This would more fly for anything 5-11 pm.

Again, WABC is good at news but their visual presentation has never been strong.

I’ve felt WABC’s visual on air presentation feels very medium market. They could learn a thing or two from their sister station WPVI in Philly about in house graphic creation. 

KABC has the best on air visuals of any of the O&O’s Imo 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

They are also cheap in terms of adding another meteorologist. They need it as Sam only works Monday through Thursday. I don't get why the biggest market and the strongest station can't have 5 meteorologists.

Why would they need five when two of them only work weekends? WPIX just added a weekend morning newscast, and they're having their weekday morning meteorologists to work one day each weekend. Then they seem to get a day off during the week and the weekend evening person covers their morning slot.

12 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Why would they need five when two of them only work weekends? WPIX just added a weekend morning newscast, and they're having their weekday morning meteorologists to work one day each weekend. Then they seem to get a day off during the week and the weekend evening person covers their morning slot.

Because their days are so long, especially the morning shift. In at 3am and out by at least 1:30. No wonder why Amy Freeze left. Though, if they hated their schedules, they can always find another job that's more flexible. Also, by adding one, the network can pull from here instead of flying some from Chicago, Nashville, etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

I’ve felt WABC’s visual on air presentation feels very medium market. They could learn a thing or two from their sister station WPVI in Philly about in house graphic creation. 

Agreed! KGO and KABC look much better. WCBS currently has the best set in the market and WNBC has typically been the market's visual presentation champion.

9 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Because their days are so long, especially the morning shift. In at 3am and out by at least 1:30. No wonder why Amy Freeze left. 

Yes! I wonder if the talent ever pushes back against increasingly earlier start times? I suppose there's no money in going the WSVN route and re-running your 11pm newscast at 4:30am? 

Again, due to earlier start times, stations should have an AM team soely handle mornings, have a midday team for  11a/12p & 4/5 pm and an evening team for 6 & 10/11pm. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

On 4/9/2022 at 11:20 AM, WeatherandTraffic said:

Because their days are so long, especially the morning shift. In at 3am and out by at least 1:30. No wonder why Amy Freeze left. Though, if they hated their schedules, they can always find another job that's more flexible. Also, by adding one, the network can pull from here instead of flying some from Chicago, Nashville, etc.

Amy Freeze worked weekend mornings and had the shortest shift of the weather folks, so she certainly would not have left because of her schedule. And she left to start up a new national weather network. And the schedule you mentioned is the same for the morning anchors.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, NYPhillynews said:

I agree! KABC has always been superior and just cleaner with their on-air look and presentation, graphics, music and etc. (All the California O&Os KGO ABC 7 in SF and KFSN ABC 30 in Fresno have a variation of the KABC graphics package.) KABC out of all the O&Os has arguably the best set, backdrop, on-air look (simple and clean but still elegant) and consistency in their music package which is also great. Honestly to me, KABC's package still works though they've adopted it in 2015.

WABC is really just boring, overall with their overall on-air look. They adopted these subpar flat basic graphics which look like they were designed in house or something or by a cheaper company which in my opinion is worthy of a medium to small market. Complete step behind their previous package from the Giant Octopus update they had from 2011-2015. Their current street side set is nice, but their backdrop is just pretty awful. Its 2022 and yet they still are using a static backdrop and the music while iconic, should be replaced at this point. Over 20+ years with the same music package and theme, maybe they are holding off on updates till they move into the new studio and building in the West Village, and by then we'll see a complete overhaul. 

Maybe in May we'll see something new from that department? Since the sweeps are coming up? Fingers Crossed, I feel like its due time for them to change or update their appearance. Or perhaps we'll have to wait till they move to their new studio in the West Village later in the decade.

https://abc7ny.com/wabc-west-village-disney-upper-side/3733784/

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2