WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

5 hours ago, DMA said:

I want to preface this by saying I don't mean this in a particularly inflammatory way, and I do not intend to delve into my personal views on policing in New York, I just want to neutrally note recent changes to WABC's editorial output. 

I have noticed that there have been a lot of NYPD public relations stories fairly high up in the running order of WABC's newscasts, sometimes multiple times a day. Things like NYPD funding basketball courts, hosting a dance party (seemingly attended by 5 people), NYPD-sponsored haunted houses (https://abc7ny.com/nypd-haunted-house-willets-point-fort-totten/11103618/) etc. Other stations (WNBC, WCBS) do not seem to be including this volume of reporting on this subject matter. 

While individually I don't think it's problematic to include community interest pieces like this (these are events happening in the viewing area after all), the disproportionate volume and prominence of such pieces are difficult to view as anything other than propagandistic in intent. Again, I do not mean this to be inflammatory but rather observational - peer stations in the market have been making other editorial choices so I thought this was worth noting here. 

News4NY also covered the basketball courts story.  I'm sure the NYPD public affairs office is working overtime to help improve their image.  The PC actually admitted this is one reason for these efforts while being interviewed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NYTV said:

Is there any tangible data to prove the supposed "disproportionate volume and prominence of such pieces are difficult to view as anything other than propagandistic in intent"? If so, what are we comparing this from the previous year? And if someone is counting this, where do the other stations fall in this?

I don’t have an Excel spreadsheet where I’m tracking every report, but before my post I looked at stories posted on the websites of stations in the area to ground my perception in something close to reality.

WPIX and WABC had the highest volume of these PR stories, while WCBS and WNBC had a lower volume. This is obviously an imperfect methodology since not every story makes it to the website. I’m not equipped to do a full media study but I think this is an interesting shift that at least merits a mention. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, kshow said:

Looks like ABC 7 is launching a 24/7 Streaming service. Anyone know about this?

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/-/-/391/19786655?cid=14187

This listing is for KABC, not WABC. That said, I saw producer listing for WLS Chicago, hiring for streaming-only newscasts, so it appears that ABC has something brewing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 4:03 PM, mountainave said:

Chantee Lans has joined WABC, with recent stops as an anchor and investigative reporter in Shreveport, and a general assignment reporter at CBS Philly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6KFvSLU54/

She's been at the station for a full 2 months already. Her first report was sometime in October right before Halloween.

• Like 4

Heather is on vacation. Alex Lee had been subbing in studio.Yesterday and Today Debbie DuHaime is doing traffic via phone audio.

Alex Lee posted on IG "Today will be my last time on the air with iHeart Media/Total Traffic & Weather Network...I will miss being a part of @tmksespn on @987fm_espnnewyork every afternoon, and my mornings with the @abc7ny family, but I will not be going far."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYFEN5PPgb0/

Edited by IceManNYR

21 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Heather is on vacation. Alex Lee had been subbing in studio.Yesterday and Today Debbie DuHaime is doing traffic via phone audio.

Alex Lee posted on IG "Today will be my last time on the air with iHeart Media/Total Traffic & Weather Network...I will miss being a part of @tmksespn on @987fm_espnnewyork every afternoon, and my mornings with the @abc7ny family, but I will not be going far."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYFEN5PPgb0/

I wonder where she’s headed? WNBC? WPIX? Or does WCBS finally get a traffic anchor lol guess we’ll see. 

13 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Dave Evans is retiring from Eyewitness News after 22 years. It was announced on the 6pm news.

He's been a good fixture in NYC politics news for a very long time. Although, he states that he is not a New Yorker, but when you been here for 20+ years in this business makes you live and breathe New York.  Happy retirement to a class act reporter.. There are plenty of rising stars in the other ABC affiliates who can definitely fill Dave Evans shoes. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Congratulations to him. He’s had a meteoric rise in leadership at the station, going from VP/ND after Camille Edwards left to Pres/GM and now this, in just a matter of years. He’s clearly a strong leader who is well liked. 

And prior to that, many years at WABC as a producer, executive producer and assistant ND.  Great to see someone from inside who comes from a local news background take the reigns of the owned station group. 

• Like 1