WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Interesting to see Ken Rosato filling in on the weekend morning news with Toni Yates today. Does this happen often?

I noticed that as well. He filled in on the weekend morning news once earlier this year, too. Doesn’t happen often but has certainly happened before. 

14 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Interesting to see Ken Rosato filling in on the weekend morning news with Toni Yates today. Does this happen often?

Seems odd to move Mike from his weekend morning anchor shift to anchor the weekend evening newscasts.

23 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Seems odd to move Mike from his weekend morning anchor shift to anchor the weekend evening newscasts.

Maybe they didn't have anyone else to take the slot, and he volunteered to switch? Especially if Ken is working Monday morning. Lauren worked last night, but she posted on IG from Fire Island today.

• Like 2

I remember when they’d have the weekend morning anchors do both the morning and evening (if I remember right Phil Lipof did it sometimes) interesting tho for the past year and a half they would have the weekend evening anchors solo if the other was off. Guess they’re getting bsck to somewhat normal? 

On 8/29/2021 at 12:58 AM, Spintech33 said:

He's not coming back to NYC market. Don't wish on it.  Although, he is from the tri-state area and has deep roots at ABC News and WABC-TV. I personally don't see him returning back to NYC.  WNYW right now has a high turnover and that situation wouldn't be good for Nelson.

He announced on IG that he's going to Atlanta.

HERE’S TO A NEW JOB IN A NEW CITY!! Hello, @Newsy and Hello, @CityofAtlanta Newsy Is Relaunching Oct. 1, and Here’s How the Reimagined Over-the-Air News Network Will Define Success https://adweek.it/3Cf8ny7

Edited by MisterBill

21 hours ago, MisterBill said:

He announced on IG that he's going to Atlanta.

HERE’S TO A NEW JOB IN A NEW CITY!! Hello, @Newsy and Hello, @CityofAtlanta Newsy Is Relaunching Oct. 1, and Here’s How the Reimagined Over-the-Air News Network Will Define Success https://adweek.it/3Cf8ny7

I really hope Newsy gets on the ground running this time.  Congrats to Rob and since NOLA is a bit of a distance from Atlanta. He's closer to home.

• 3 weeks later...

Amy Freeze posted on Instagram that tomorrow is her last day at WABC, but she is not leaving NYC. Amy's post says "more announcements are ahead".  Mike Marza commented about "your amazing opportunity" on her IG post. Let the guessing begin.

Suddenly Brittany Bell coming in makes sense.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, Spintech33 said:

I really hope Newsy gets on the ground running this time.  Congrats to Rob and since NOLA is a bit of a distance from Atlanta. He's closer to home.

Natalie Allen posted that she is also joining Newsy.

Edited by MisterBill

22 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Amy Freeze posted on Instagram that tomorrow is her last day at WABC, but she is not leaving NYC. Amy's post says "more announcements are ahead".  Mike Marza commented about "your amazing opportunity" on her IG post. Let the guessing begin.

Suddenly Brittany Bell coming in makes sense.

Natalie Allen posted that she is also joining Newsy.

Well WNBC is loaded with weather if I’m not mistaken (don’t watch too often) .. my guess would be either FOX 5 or PIX.. I would assume Nick Gregory and Mr G are both old enough to retire? Guess we’ll see soon enough.

Yeah WNBC has 5 meteorologists, so it's likely they don't need anyone else; WCBS has their 4 so I don't see them needing anyone unless someone steps down. WNYW did have Sam Augeri as a 4th meteorologist at one point, and then they lost her back to News 12; so its possible she'd join but I don't see her giving up her WABC gig for third tier meteorologist there. PIX IMO would be the most likely option locally- I could see if Mr. G retired, Byron would take his spot, and she would be given weekday AMs or even G's spot. All just speculation for now. It's also possible she could join one of the networks as meteorologist.

17 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Could it be an expanded role with ABC?

Unlikely, since she would not be announcing that she was leaving, only to come back to corporate. I'm thinking either network or cable, although WPIX would be a possibility if Mr. G wanted to retire on his own, not pushed out. If she wanted to do something other than weather, there's a spot on the Fox5 morning show, but that is unlikely.

1 hour ago, MisterBill said:

Unlikely, since she would not be announcing that she was leaving, only to come back to corporate. I'm thinking either network or cable, although WPIX would be a possibility if Mr. G wanted to retire on his own, not pushed out. If she wanted to do something other than weather, there's a spot on the Fox5 morning show, but that is unlikely.

Is Nick Gregory old enough to retire? 

6 minutes ago, nynewslover said:

Is Nick Gregory old enough to retire? 

Don't think so, and wouldn't Audrey get the job in that case? And she and Amy are very good friends, so I can't see that they'd bring in Amy and bump Audrey.

Edited by MisterBill

And the answer is...

Fox News Sets Fox Weather Launch Date For October 25 – The Hollywood Reporter

Bad news, it's streaming only. Good news, it's free.

Fox News Media says that its Fox Weather streaming service will launch on Oct. 25.

The service is one of the most significant streaming efforts at the company, because it is free and advertising-supported. Fox News’ two other streaming services, Fox Nation and Fox News International, are subscription-based.

In addition, the company says it hired Amy Freeze, the weekend meteorologist for WABC New York, as an anchor.

Edited by MisterBill

• 2 weeks later...

I want to preface this by saying I don't mean this in a particularly inflammatory way, and I do not intend to delve into my personal views on policing in New York, I just want to neutrally note recent changes to WABC's editorial output. 

I have noticed that there have been a lot of NYPD public relations stories fairly high up in the running order of WABC's newscasts, sometimes multiple times a day. Things like NYPD funding basketball courts, hosting a dance party (seemingly attended by 5 people), NYPD-sponsored haunted houses (https://abc7ny.com/nypd-haunted-house-willets-point-fort-totten/11103618/) etc. Other stations (WNBC, WCBS) do not seem to be including this volume of reporting on this subject matter. 

While individually I don't think it's problematic to include community interest pieces like this (these are events happening in the viewing area after all), the disproportionate volume and prominence of such pieces are difficult to view as anything other than propagandistic in intent. Again, I do not mean this to be inflammatory but rather observational - peer stations in the market have been making other editorial choices so I thought this was worth noting here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DMA said:

I want to preface this by saying I don't mean this in a particularly inflammatory way, and I do not intend to delve into my personal views on policing in New York, I just want to neutrally note recent changes to WABC's editorial output. 

I have noticed that there have been a lot of NYPD public relations stories fairly high up in the running order of WABC's newscasts, sometimes multiple times a day. Things like NYPD funding basketball courts, hosting a dance party (seemingly attended by 5 people), NYPD-sponsored haunted houses (https://abc7ny.com/nypd-haunted-house-willets-point-fort-totten/11103618/) etc. Other stations (WNBC, WCBS) do not seem to be including this volume of reporting on this subject matter. 

While individually I don't think it's problematic to include community interest pieces like this (these are events happening in the viewing area after all), the disproportionate volume and prominence of such pieces are difficult to view as anything other than propagandistic in intent. Again, I do not mean this to be inflammatory but rather observational - peer stations in the market have been making other editorial choices so I thought this was worth noting here. 

Is there any tangible data to prove the supposed "disproportionate volume and prominence of such pieces are difficult to view as anything other than propagandistic in intent"? If so, what are we comparing this from the previous year? And if someone is counting this, where do the other stations fall in this?