WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

21 hours ago, DMA said:

I suspect that much of the distancing on screen hasn't necessarily been for actual risk minimization, but public service "modeling" behavior for viewers, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing! I wouldn't be surprised if things gradually come back to normal soon. 

I actually disagree. I am pretty sure it is for actual risk minimization. Many stations still have weather and sports people working from home. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NowBergen said:

6 foot rules still apply inside.  Some are returning to sets, but not the full compliment.  That will take more time once more people are vaccinated.

Right.  I don't think you will see most stations return to having anchors sit shoulder to shoulder until the CDC says it's okay for vaccinated people of different households to be indoors, unmasked, within 6 feet from each other. 

They only just last week said vaccinated people could be unmasked if outdoors and 6 ft apart, so I imagine it will be some time.

Not gonna lie but after watching so many newscasts with 'heads in boxes', I'm going to find it hard to get used to seeing anchors sit tightly together again. Even the anchors sitting a few feet away at the same desk makes more sense to me from a presentation standpoint, but...I might be alone here. 

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

Right.  I don't think you will see most stations return to having anchors sit shoulder to shoulder until the CDC says it's okay for vaccinated people of different households to be indoors, unmasked, within 6 feet from each other. 

They only just last week said vaccinated people could be unmasked if outdoors and 6 ft apart, so I imagine it will be some time.

No, current CDC guidance allows vaccinated people from different households to be unmasked indoors:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

• You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart.
  • You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people of any age from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks or staying 6 feet apart, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

Obviously the circumstances of a workplace will be different, so it is good that stations are acting cautiously rather than moving too fast. 

Edited by DMA

7 hours ago, DMA said:

No, current CDC guidance allows vaccinated people from different households to be unmasked indoors:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Obviously the circumstances of a workplace will be different, so it is good that stations are acting cautiously rather than moving too fast. 

You’re right. I stand corrected. 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, mountainave said:

Well that day arrived sooner than we all thought. NBC’s TODAY has their anchors back to normal seating this morning.  Let’s see how quickly the other networks and local stations can do it. Some of it will depend on readjusting the technical set up of the last 14 months; most of it will have to do with who’s vaccinated at each station and network. 

41 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Perhaps SB is being considered for a weekday spot?

It would be cool to have Sandra as Sade's co anchor at 5, instead of stretching Bill between 5, 6 and 11, but she and Joe are a strong weekend duo so I'd leave that alone.WABC really has the strongest anchor lineup in the market.

What is it about ABC o&o's that they typically dominate?

Edited by iron_lion

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

It would be cool to have Sandra as Sade's co anchor at 5, instead of stretching Bill between 5, 6 and 11, but she and Joe are a strong weekend duo so I'd leave that alone.WABC really has the strongest anchor lineup in the market.

What is it about ABC o&o's that they typically dominate?

How about Joe and Sandra at 5?

I know for close to a year back in 2018, Sade only worked the 11 for a period of time due to recovering from a concussion. It could be something related to that.

In regards to the comment on the ABC O&Os having strong anchor lineups, I'm amazed at how even when someone fills in, there's no chemistry lost and the flow of news (and occasional humor when necessary) stays consistent. I've had a chance to meet several of the WABC anchors, and they are just as authentic in person as they are over the TV airwaves.

Yeah the WABC anchors are really humble and have always been class acts. The people of Eyewitness News have always been amazing. I really am starting to also like Josh Eineger's reporting style. Would be interesting to see how he is in the studio. Today is the day Social Distancing and Masking does not have to be done in New York City for vaccinated people, I wonder if they are following suit with that rule or if its still the 6ft rule etc.. Did anyone catch a broadcast today? 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, Liugrad2020 said:

Perhaps SB is being considered for a weekday spot?

I could see Sandra replacing Shirleen Allicot at noon when she goes on maternity leave 

On 5/18/2021 at 2:23 AM, Liugrad2020 said:

How about Joe and Sandra at 5?

To accommodate that I'd put:

AM Ken & Shirleen

Noon & 4pm David & Liz

5p Joe & Sandra

6 & 11p Bill & Sade 

But the anchor lineup is solid as it is across the board so I'd just find someone to anchor with Sade at 5 other than Bill.

Edited by iron_lion

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

To accommodate that I'd put:

AM Ken & Shirleen

Noon & 4pm David & Liz

5p Joe & Sandra

6 & 11p Bill & Sade 

But the anchor lineup is solid as it is across the board so I'd just find someone to anchor with Sade at 5 other than Bill.

Maybe Sandra or Joe with Sade at 5?

WABC has never been big on shuffling current anchors around unless there is a very good reason (such as when Diana Williams retired). The main focus there now has to be on looking ahead. Bill Ritter is close to 70, or might be there already. Whatever main anchor changes WABC makes will be with an eye to having an heir apparent on deck. Joe Torres isn’t far behind Ritter, so it isn’t likely to be him. WABC names anchors who will be around for a few decades, not just a few years.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, wabceyewitness said:

Well that day arrived sooner than we all thought. NBC’s TODAY has their anchors back to normal seating this morning.  Let’s see how quickly the other networks and local stations can do it. Some of it will depend on readjusting the technical set up of the last 14 months; most of it will have to do with who’s vaccinated at each station and network. 

Rosanna and Lori on FOX5 were sitting “normally “ this morning 

11 hours ago, MetroCity said:

WABC has never been big on shuffling current anchors around unless there is a very good reason (such as when Diana Williams retired). 

I like the consistency of  ABC 7's talent. WCBS and WNYW have too many shuffling faces amongst their reporters. WNBC isn't far behind but they have a decent anchoring and reporting crew. Overall, IMO, Eyewitness News & News 4 are the best in the market. WNYW, WPIX and WCBS (outside of Maurice & Christine) are all iffy.

Edited by iron_lion