WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 9/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

They try to "lighten things up a bit" weekend mornings, therefore some stuff may come off as downright stupid.

With that said, weekend mornings haven't been the same since Phil Lipoff left the building.

I think Rob Nelson was an amazing talent for a morning show.  But, yes, Phil Lipof is great himself, too.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The last three Fridays, plus this and the last two weekends, Amy Freeze has not been on and Jeff Smith has been subbing for her.

She's still active on social media, but three weekends seems like a long time be off.

Edited by IceManNYR

3 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

The last three Fridays, plus this and the last two weekends, Amy Freeze as not been on and Jeff Smith has been subbing for her.

She's still active on social media, but three weekends seems like a long time be off.

Make of these what you will:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TellyGenic said:

Has Danielle Leigh been let go?  The "7 on Your Side" promos now feature only Nina Pineda and Dan Krauth, and while the station website still has Danielle's photo, her bio is gone.  And I haven't seen her on-air in quite a while....

She moved out to KABC in the same role.

An update from Amy on IG: "Hi guys. I miss work!! I recently had surgery. I’m just healing up..... Some days I’m good enuf to social media... other days are not so easy! I’m feeling grateful for healthcare and my hard-working coworkers! Quick reminder that even though we are in this pandemic– make sure you are on top of all of your healthcare! Work with your doctors to make sure you are doing the right things! 💙 Thank you for all the concern and kindness. Be back to @abc7ny Accuweather soon"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHdCR3rn7ko/

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kudos to Lee Goldberg, who was in tonight, and cut into primetime programming for an extended special report on the multiple tornado warnings affecting the tri-state area. He stayed on the air until the warnings expired with explanations of what we were seeing on the live radar, showed the exact neighborhoods and towns being hit the hardest and gave advice on where to go to seek shelter.

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I’m curious how Bill Ritter got to the studio so quickly unless he was already in.

He was already in studio for a special live edition of UpClose that Sunday. This was because the network called the winner of the election that previous morning.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, Liugrad2020 said:

There was a special report on channel 7 on the passing of Alex Terbek.

here is a link to the special report... looks like their automated system briefly interrupted their local special report with the network special report before someone at local switched back to the EWN report.

4 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

here is a link to the special report... looks like their automated system briefly interrupted their local special report with the network special report before someone at local switched back to the EWN report.

I saw that. WABC wanted to ensure there viewers heard about Terbeks passing from them first.

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I like it how WABC put their special touch in their breaking news re: trebek, led by its main anchor no less. Knowing that 7 carried J! basically since its start, it's genius. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 2:21 PM, justin2kx said:

I like it how WABC put their special touch in their breaking news re: trebek, led by its main anchor no less. Knowing that 7 carried J! basically since its start, it's genius. 

Same here although I think Bill Ritter happened to be in the studio before the news broke. It was good timing.

Definitely not a new concept, but WABC used WTVD meteorologist Brittany Bell this morning for its weather segments. Sam's been off, Amy's out of commission, Jeff's been pulling extra weight recently, and Lee's obviously holding down weekday evenings, so none of this is shocking but I just thought it was interesting. Now, I don't think this will really mesh that well with their existing lineups, but when times get better, could it be time to hire a fifth meteorologist? I'm sure there are also freelancers who can step in whenever, but I was just thinking of WNBC as a point of comparison.

image.thumb.png.69101edc8df6da3df8f2d7d44695e699.png

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Definitely not a new concept, but WABC used WTVD meteorologist Brittany Bell this morning for its weather segments. Sam's been off, Amy's out of commission, Jeff's been pulling extra weight recently, and Lee's obviously holding down weekday evenings, so none of this is shocking but I just thought it was interesting. Now, I don't think this will really mesh that well with their existing lineups, but when times get better, could it be time to hire a fifth meteorologist? I'm sure there are also freelancers who can step in whenever, but I was just thinking of WNBC as a point of comparison.

image.thumb.png.69101edc8df6da3df8f2d7d44695e699.png

I know she has joined them before in studio for the weekend weather, and they have also had other O&O meteorologists come to New York to fill in. This is the first time I’ve noticed that they had weather done out of state, from another station, with Brittany broadcasting from WTVD in Raleigh, NC. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:15 AM, wabceyewitness said:

I know she has joined them before in studio for the weekend weather, and they have also had other O&O meteorologists come to New York to fill in. This is the first time I’ve noticed that they had weather done out of state, from another station, with Brittany broadcasting from WTVD in Raleigh, NC. 

That’s most likely the case because of the pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...