WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

Always thought that if he stayed, he and Diana would’ve made a great 5pm team after Roz Abrams left. 

Wasn’t he let go because of Diana? She wanted off 6/11, and was reassigned to 5, bumping him to weekends to finish out his contract.

5 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

In a first for WABC and ABC News, the ABC7NY studio was used this morning for a Good Morning America segment. Due to social distancing, Sam Champion anchored GMA's "Pop News" from the ABC7NY set. 

I thought it was because Amy is still on vacation, Jeff is coming off doing all of the weekend newscasts, Lee is still on vacation, and there would be nobody to do the news briefs. I don't know if it was entirely because of social distancing, although that's likely a part of it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

That's not legit. It's just a regular mask with someone drawing the "Circle 7" logo with a permanent marker.

I like it - old school without the ABC logo

On 7/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, IceManNYR said:

Was that the temp set while they built the 2004-2011 skyline set?

Don't remember the 90s set having the blue panels on the side and such a narrow control room mural.

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

That's not legit. It's just a regular mask with someone drawing the "Circle 7" logo with a permanent marker.

They're not the only ones. I saw a report on KWTV's noon news today, in which the reporter's mask appeared to have a sticker of the station's logo on the left side.

4 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

I like it - old school without the ABC logo

Was that the temp set while they built the 2004-2011 skyline set?

Don't remember the 90s set having the blue panels on the side and such a narrow control room mural.

Not a temp set. That’s how the set looked when it debuted in 1996 or 1997. The temp set used before the 2004 set, if I remember correctly, actually had the blue panels removed. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Interesting that WABC put up a job posting on June 1 for an anchor/reporter...

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/new-york/anchor-reporter/391/16324894

Interesting indeed.  Based on history, the fact that it's an Anchor/Reporter posting would suggest it's to fill a weekend spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

Interesting indeed.  Based on history, the fact that it's an Anchor/Reporter posting would suggest it's to fill a weekend spot.

When Mike Marza was brought on wasn’t he “anchor/reporter”? I’d be pretty shocked if he wasn’t given some sort of more permanent anchor role now that a spot is open

7 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Interesting that WABC put up a job posting on June 1 for an anchor/reporter...

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/new-york/anchor-reporter/391/16324894

I also stumbled upon this a few weeks ago, but I was thinking that, since Mike officially joined in June 2019, this posting should largely reflect the departure of Rob Nelson, right? I feel a little bad for Mike not being appointed into any solidified anchor position yet, but anyway, I just thought of Phil Lipof at seeing the listing and I sort of feel an NY homecoming could be in store by the end of 2020. (and his posts here and there giving shout outs to WABC friends and the comments he replies to about NY all must surely be part of his publicity campaign, so to speak???)

12 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

When Mike Marza was brought on wasn’t he “anchor/reporter”? I’d be pretty shocked if he wasn’t given some sort of more permanent anchor role now that a spot is open

Yup, he was. And it's the role he's still been filling thus far.  Initially reporting during the week and on the anchor desk only to fill in.  Now reporting during the week and anchoring the weekend broadcast.

It's historically true that the Anchor/Reporter role is for WABC's weekend anchors. That said, easy to forget that Shirleen Allicot was also hired for an Anchor/Reporter role.  Initially she anchored the noon broadcast and reported for the 4/5/6.  Her role of course has since changed.

Edited by mountainave

• 3 weeks later...

I guess no one should be surprised, but Tim Fleischer is finally retiring after 35 years at Eyewitness News. He is being celebrated at 5 pm tomorrow.  I have attached the news article from Pittsburgh when he was hired away. 

Going to miss Tim. This basically has been his reporting staff for a long time. 

Tim Fleischer, February 6, 1985 -

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Here is the send off they did for Tim during Friday’s 5pm broadcast. Really nice celebration of an Eyewitness News legend! 

https://youtu.be/dpLvUaMOnX8

Great sendoff. Tim really represented the gravitas, authority, and trust of EWN.  He's been one of the reasons WABC remains the number one station in the nation. 

Now, lest we forget the extent to which Tim really has been around the block, just two years ago Tim was punched in the face while covering a story! 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/eyewitness-news-reporter-punched-face-queens-article-1.3926405

• Like 1